Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow. Who ends up being the Super Regional host site if the top seeds lose?
Generally speaking, the higher seeded of the two teams that would advance.

Based on who remains in each regional (Stanford and College Park):
Stanford/Maryland, Stanford/Wake, Stanford UConn - remains at Stanford; when #1 seeds both advance, the super goes to the higher ranking in the national seeding.

Maryland/Texas St or Maryland/UCSB - remains at College Park

Texas St/UConn - goes to San Marcos, or wherever Texas St is able to host if their facility isn’t up to NCAA host standards.

Wake/UCSB - goes to Winston-Salem

Wake/Texas St and UConn/UCSB - whoever brings the NCAA the better hosting bid. Whenever two teams advance from the same seed band, but aren’t national seeds, there’s no ranking to use as tiebreaker so the NCAA just basically says “hey, who wants it” and picks a bid from one of the two teams (or potentially neither; I don’t think that’s ever come up, because someone involved has always had an adequate stadium to use, whether it’s their own or someone else’s; Cal hosted a super regional on Santa Clara’s campus because their field didn’t have lights or accommodations for TV crews). Tidbit: the Yard Goats are not playing at home next week, while the NB Bees and Sea Unicorns are.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Wow. Who ends up being the Super Regional host site if the top seeds lose?

Its my understanding it becomes a bidding process, the way the NIT used to operate. I'd think UConn would make a nice offer to host at the Dunk.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Its my understanding it becomes a bidding process, the way the NIT used to operate. I'd think UConn would make a nice offer to host at the Dunk.
Which would be cool, but not as cool as hosting at Storrs. AD Dave talked about putting up temporary bleachers and utilizing the hill. That would be something.

Still, Im just happy to be in the position we are in (while recognizing, of course, that we are still doomed.)

Reaction Score
The NCAA exists to make money. There is more money in getting the publicity from a Super Regional in the Northeast than there is in having one at Texas State. I have no idea what the rules are if both Stanford and MD go down, but if there is flexibility under the rules ….

That having been said, we’ve still got a game to win tonight or tomorrow, and Stanford isn’t done yet either. While I love the fact that Enzo has pitched in a NCAA regional before, while at Harvard, I do worry that his pitching to contact style may not fare as well at this level. I think if he gets twice through the order tonight Penders will be very happy knowing he has Coe and Chudoba fresh for long relief stints.

Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn would host in Hartford. One of the big pitches with building on campus was to be able to provide a nice on campus facility if the opportunity to host ever arose.
The Athletic Dept. was very clear that the new stadium would be sufficient to host NCAA tournament games. If we are able to host, I would expect it to be in Storrs, not Hartford.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don’t think UConn would host in Hartford. One of the big pitches with building on campus was to be able to provide a nice on campus facility if the opportunity to host ever arose.
Except money

Reaction Score
The NCAA exists to make money. There is more money in getting the publicity from a Super Regional in the Northeast than there is in having one at Texas State. I have no idea what the rules are if both Stanford and MD go down, but if there is flexibility under the rules ….

That having been said, we’ve still got a game to win tonight or tomorrow, and Stanford isn’t done yet either. While I love the fact that Enzo has pitched in a NCAA regional before, while at Harvard, I do worry that his pitching to contact style may not fare as well at this level. I think if he gets twice through the order tonight Penders will be very happy knowing he has Coe and Chudoba fresh for long relief stints.
I share your concerns with Enzo as well. A contact pitcher in a small ballpark requires a good offensive showing by UConn. They are more than capable.

Reaction Score

-> Take for example the line Connecticut head coach Jim Penders and pitching coach Joshua MacDonald have to toe each weekend with their two front line starting pitchers, who both have outstanding repertoires but have to be handled and motivated in different ways.

No one wants to be around 6-foot-6 righthander Austin Peterson on Fridays when he takes the ball to open a series. He gets locked into a high-intensity game day mode and that can spill over to interactions with coaches, teammates, opponents, umpires and anyone else that might stand in his way. “I stay the hell away from him when he’s on the mound,” Penders said. “He’s a vicious competitor.”

Saturday starter Pat Gallagher is the polar opposite. “He’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever coached, makes him a great human being, sometimes it doesn’t make him a great pitcher,” Penders said. “He is a great pitcher and I get frustrated sometimes that he takes that gentleman to the mound.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Updated bracket

UConn Baseball.jpg

Reaction Score
If and when UConn baseball is a host for NCAA tournament play, I would be very surprised if the games were not played in the new ballpark in Storrs. Coach Penders has pretty much said that such games would probably be played in Storrs in a number of interviews over the past couple of years.

Reaction Score
Mentioned before that Justin Willis is probably the only UConn bullpen guy not available for the game tonight. If UConn were to lose tonight, I would expect the starter for tomorrow's game would either be Cole Chudoba or Ian Cooke. Because of this, I am not expecting Chudoba to pitch in the game today. Cooke may be another story. If UConn has the lead midway through the game or in late innings, it would not surprise me to see Cooke take the mound tonight, as Coach Penders could very well believe using him is the best way in securing the victory and taking this regional. However, if UConn falls behind in the game tonight, it would not surprise me to see Cooke not get into this game, and instead be either the starter tomorrow, or at some point come out of the bullpen.

Reaction Score
Enzo tonight, in this small ballpark, makes me very nervous. But I figure we’re playing with house money at this point, so, hey let’s leave it out on the field and hope for the best.

IMO, to win this tourney we’re gonna need guys like Kirby and O’Donnell to have their best stuff. I think Kirby can definitely bounce back. OD seems a bit overwhelmed by the moment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, to win this tourney we’re gonna need guys like Kirby and O’Donnell to have their best stuff. I think Kirby can definitely bounce back. OD seems a bit overwhelmed by the moment.

Devin Kirby has pitched very well down the stretch, I doubt we have seen the last of him in the post season. As for O'Donnell, he certainly hasn't done well of late. Still, considering he is often used for facing just one lefty batter, it wouldn't surprise me to see him continued to be used this way. Whatever the case, right now aside from Justin Willis, it looks like the UConn bullpen and pitching staff is in good shape for the rest of this regional. Brady Afthim has not pitched yet as well either in this regional, and he has certainly had a solid freshman season.

Reaction Score
Devin Kirby has pitched very well down the stretch, I doubt we have seen the last of him in the post season. As for O'Donnell, he certainly hasn't done well of late. Still, considering he is often used for facing just one lefty batter, it wouldn't surprise me to see him continued to be used this way. Whatever the case, right now aside from Justin Willis, it looks like the UConn bullpen and pitching staff is in good shape for the rest of this regional. Brady Afthim has not pitched yet as well either in this regional, and he has certainly had a solid freshman season.
For sure, Afthim can get outs.

I’m glad Sullivan got his feet wet in tourney action, too. Might help with potential jitters and get him locked in for subsequent action.

Reaction Score
Anyone have any insights as to potential advantages for a team having to play twice today? We know about the negative of pitching attrition but is there a positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom