Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had to go out, so I listened to Crispino - ugh. I was probably the only person who was fist-pumping and clapping while I was driving. Sooooo glad they pulled it out. It would have been a devastating loss.

Reaction Score
I knew the game was getting tied as soon as their CF made that leaping catch, could feel the momentum swing there.

Glad to see Huber make up for the absolutely brutal decision by Penders with Dana's AB though. Being on the winner's side is the 1st step to winning this regional

Reaction Score
Great effort by the team, overcoming a Devo meltdown (which was shocking coming off the week he had last week but it's pitching). And great effort to overcome two absurd decisions by Penders: bunting Dana with no outs and 2 on in the 9th, and leaving Kirby in to face the lefty after he'd already given up three hits that inning (and would have given up 4 but for an outstanding play by Bushling at 3rd). Frankly, Penders is lucky Dana didn't hit him over the head with the bat and then hit away.

We'll face another stud tomorrow as MD is holding their ace back. But Gallagher has had a year almost as good as AP's, and the one thing about the region -- WFU and UMD might both be better than us on the computers, and certainly have played harder schedules, but we're the only team there that is used to playing NCAA tourney games.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Great effort by the team, overcoming a Devo meltdown (which was shocking coming off the week he had last week but it's pitching). And great effort to overcome two absurd decisions by Penders: bunting Dana with no outs and 2 on in the 9th, and leaving Kirby in to face the lefty after he'd already given up three hits that inning (and would have given up 4 but for an outstanding play by Bushling at 3rd). Frankly, Penders is lucky Dana didn't hit him over the head with the bat and then hit away.

We'll face another stud tomorrow as MD is holding their ace back. But Gallagher has had a year almost as good as AP's, and the one thing about the region -- WFU and UMD might both be better than us on the computers, and certainly have played harder schedules, but we're the only team there that is used to playing NCAA tourney games.
I would love for the decision to hold back to cost them big time. An LIU win, burning their one good starter. Then either Wake or UMD would be gone. Two games to win one, and AP would get one of those. Dream scenario.

Reaction Score
I would love for the decision to hold back to cost them big time. An LIU win, burning their one good starter. Then either Wake or UMD would be gone. Two games to win one, and AP would get one of those. Dream scenario.

The deeper we are in the tourney, the more the odds shift in our favor. I don't think Wake or MD has a #3 like Enzo, and they certainly can't match Cooke as a #4.

But it's quite usual for a #1 to not start their ace Friday against a #4, as normally you view those as weekday games that you should win however is pitching. Didn't we beat Harvard in the loser's game 3 years ago (in Stillwater?) with like 8 shutout innings from Coby Dunlop, who never gave us anything near that before or after? Sure, I'll want LIU to win but MD is making the smart play.

Reaction Score

AP isn't going again on Monday. Not on 2 days rest after exceeding 100 pitches. Unless you're talking about coming in to give an inning.

Win tomorrow and we don't play a 5th game, meaning either Cooke or Chudoba is free to give you whatever you need in the bullpen.

Reaction Score
Devin Kirby did not have a good game today, but he was generally very good down the stretch run, and especially in the Big East tournament. UConn has a bunch of guys they can go to out of the bullpen. Doubt we will see Kirby pitch tomorrow, but wouldn't surprise me to see him back on the mound for Sunday. As for Willis, this may have been his best game all season.

Reaction Score
Typical college coaching decision by Penders to bunt in the 9th. Bunting your third hitter, who already was 3 for 5 on the day (with a dinger) is just stupid. Dana should have pulled a Wade Boggs and intentionally foul off two bunt attempts so he could swing away. You only see this crap in high school and college. Do better!

Reaction Score

-> “We’ve been in this same situation all year,” Huber said. “We’ve won a lot of close games, that’s what makes us really good. No one acted scared, we just knew we had the guys to come through and take the lead again once we got the chance.” <-

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Sorry I didn't get to give a preview, I was at the most awful terrible funeral today, son of my BFF @ UConn and her husband who was later my housemate in West Willington. Knew Huskies would spank the Deacs. ACC SchmayCC lol

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry I didn't get to give a preview, I was at the most awful terrible funeral today, son of my BFF @ UConn and her husband who was later my housemate in West Willington. Knew Huskies would spank the Deacs. ACC SchmayCC lol
Sorry to hear it. That’s rough.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Today's win will further harden the steel.

Nerves of steel.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Maryland is absolutely crushing LIU. Best we can hope, they will be tired from running the bases and swinging the bats. Last I looked it was 19-0, top 6.

Reaction Score
Another reason I always listen to Chris Jones.
Don't even know who that is. I can't get CT radio. Plus with my hearing I can't really follow any game on radio.

I'm a bit surprised that anyone who spends time looking at and reading the UConn baseball threads on the Boneyard would not have heard of Chris Jones, as he is often mentioned on these threads. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Chris Jones is a big reason why I became such a big fan of UConn baseball over the years due to his efforts and because of the information he provides in both game broadcasts and interviews. I also think he is an excellent baseball broadcaster who wears very well on me. Probably helps that I grew up listening to many baseball games on the radio during an era when not every game was carried on television.

Chris Jones has been doing play by play of UConn baseball on either WHUS radio and/or the MIXLR streaming service since about 2011, when he was a student at UConn. While he was a student, he eventually became sports director of WHUS, UConn's radio station. During that time he is primarily responsible for getting getting almost every UConn baseball game broadcasted either on WHUS radio or streamed on the internet. After Chris Jones graduated from UConn, he continued to broadcast UConn baseball games, and eventually became employed as the SID for UConn baseball, which goes to show how much Coach Penders appreciated the work Chris Jones did in promoting UConn baseball. Chris Jones is also the person who conducts the post game interviews with Coach Penders that UConn baseball tweets out, those interviews always get posted to the game threads. In addition to the work he does in broadcasting games, in my mind Chris Jones is the best information source out there when it comes to UConn baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom