Men - 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Men 2022 UConn Baseball @ NCAA Tournament’s College Park Regional (6/3> 6/6). Winner Take All - Monday 6/6 @7p v. Maryland on ESPNU. Audio Mixlr/97-9 ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We had a handful of those but there were far more instances of over swinging leading to striking out or popping up. Other than about a half dozen at bats our hitting was not good at all last night.

Time to shake it off and view this game as a do over.
I know it's the UConn philosophy to be aggressive, but last night and now tonight is not that time. We let them off the hook last night. We were pressing all night. For example, when our guys had 2 strikes on them, I know you have to protect the plate, but swinging at pitches 2 feet off the plate or down in the dirt and fouling them off to stay alive is bailing them out. Need to be able to know what is close enough to be called a strike and what is not. If we take those, we turn the 1-2 count into 2-2 or 3-2 counts and advantage goes to batter and then you will see a better pitch. We have 3 reliable pitchers (Cooke/Choduba/Affhrim) who haven't thrown a pitch yet. MD will need to either throw reliable pitchers who have already thrown or unknowns. In either case we need patience tonight.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Bored at work, don’t know if you find this interesting but what the heck. The numbers under the days are pitches thrown.

View attachment 76760
Chudoba, Cooke and Afthim all fresh. That's three quality pitchers to chew up some innings. Can Willis come in for a final out if needed or does it fall to someone else?

Reaction Score
Chudoba, Cooke and Afthim all fresh. That's three quality pitchers to chew up some innings. Can Willis come in for a final out if needed or does it fall to someone else?
Willis should be available since we didn't use him yesterday, my guess would be for around 30 pitches if needed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Game is at primetime 7:00 on ESPNU only going up against the Arkansas/Ok St game. How much fun is this? Couldn't ask for a better scenario.
Well, I wouldn’t of minded a win last night, but otherwise agree. ;)

It should be fun tonight, but I have to admit I’m already nervous about it. This team was unexpectedly great. I’d really like their post season to reflect that by getting to a super regional (at least). It’s good to still be playing. If our guys have their A game, I like our chances.

Reaction Score
Obviously, the game still needs to be played, but I like our chances. I can tell you that the boys are looking forward to a large and loud crowd. They feed off that. Maryland having to use Ramsey last night was the best outcome we could have hoped for sans the W. And Falco threw a ton yesterday as well. We've seen pretty much everyone they are going to throw at us. Cooke and Chudoba - especially as a grad student - will be more than ready for the daunting challenge tonight. #RollSkies

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Do we know that for sure? I haven't seen anything reported on who won the coin toss
I could be wrong but I thought as winner's bracket team, we had the choice of being home for last night or (I'd necessary) today.

Reaction Score
Not a coin toss. NCAA parity. We are 100% the home team.

I could be wrong but I thought as winner's bracket team, we had the choice of being home for last night or (I'd necessary) today.
I could be wrong, but my understanding was since we were home for the 1st Maryland game on Saturday and Maryland was home yesterday that it's a coin flip for game 7. I'm not 100% sure though, I remember reading something a few days ago when I was searching for host site rules

Reaction Score
Bored at work, don’t know if you find this interesting but what the heck. The numbers under the days are pitches thrown.

View attachment 76760
Thanks for putting this together. I don't see using any of the starters again and Coe or Kirby. O'Donnell doesn't seem mentally sharp so I would almost have to say he's not available unless emergency. I say Willis is available to close if necessary 1 inning. That leaves 4 guys that are available (Cooke/Chudoba/Afthim/Sullivan). 3 of them are Freshmen and are the future of the program. I think Pender's needs to trust Afthim and Sullivan before going to a starter again. This will be everlasting experience that should only brighten their futures.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but my understanding was since we were home for the 1st Maryland game on Saturday and Maryland was home yesterday that it's a coin flip for game 7. I'm not 100% sure though, I remember reading something a few days ago when I was searching for host site rules
That should be the way it is, but is has already been determined. We are home team. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't know for certain.

Reaction Score
Thanks for putting this together. I don't see using any of the starters again and Coe or Kirby. O'Donnell doesn't seem mentally sharp so I would almost have to say he's not available unless emergency. I say Willis is available to close if necessary 1 inning. That leaves 4 guys that are available (Cooke/Chudoba/Afthim/Sullivan). 3 of them are Freshmen and are the future of the program. I think Pender's needs to trust Afthim and Sullivan before going to a starter again. This will be everlasting experience that should only brighten their futures.
Pretty much on the same page. If I were drawing up a game plan I'd say 3 innings from Cooke and Chudoba each (and ride either one longer if they're dominating). Afthim and Sullivan the 7th and 8th and bring in O'Donell as a bridge for the lefty batters, go to Willis for an inning to close it

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

View attachment 76760

This is awesome, thanks for putting this together.

If everything goes according to plan today, this is my guess:

3.0 IP - Cooke
3.0 IP - Chudoba
1.0 IP - Afthim
0.1 IP - O'Donnell
0.2 IP - Peterson
1.0 IP - Wills

Reaction Score
Cooke, if on, is not being pulled after 3 innings. When he's on, he's way better than that.
Agreed. I don't think the staff is going to lay it out like this with a certain number of innings each guy (and to be fair I'm not sure if anyone is really suggesting that or just predicting how it will turn out). I think they have a list of guys available for different situations and they'll use as needed until they can't. If Cooke or Chudoba is struggling after 1, they will make a quick hook to try to get to someone else. If Cooke is cruising they might ride him for 5 or 6 innings easily.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That should be the way it is, but is has already been determined. We are home team. I wouldn't have posted if I didn't know for certain.
I believe the thinking is that everything prior to what was last night's game was preliminary, just to get to that point and the last two games (if needed) will have each team as home team once.

It has been decades but I had played in numerous double elim tournaments in my lifetime and normally what would have happened was prior to last night's game, the winner's bracket representative (in this case us) would be given the choice of which game to be home team. Nearly always they pick home for the second of two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom