2022 Grilling Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Grilling Season

Reaction Score
That's what I used to pay at BJs Wholesale, but it's up to like $7 a pound now. Are you sure Costco is still $4? Prices went up a lot recently.
Yeah that was another reason I was so surprised. Maybe not for long, but that's what I paid a week ago.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah that was another reason I was so surprised. Maybe not for long, but that's what I paid a week ago.

I havent been in a few weeks but I bought a prime whole filet in mid march and the price hadn't risen from what I paid in December . That is what Costco is great for, Ill buy everything whole whether Filet, Strip , Ribeye, etc. And then I butcher it myself into Cuts at the thickness I desire and then Vacuum seal and Freeze (have a dedicated standalone freezer in basement) and then I don't need to worry about buying meats for months and months. So even though I pay anywhere from 150 to 250 dollars each for the wholes, and it seems like a lot of money, it saves me so much in the long run. 1) I'm cutting the meat exactly how I want it. 2) I never have to worry about picking it up at the grocery store. The meat section of the grocery store is in my basement already! Initially I thought the process might degrade the meat over time, but over the last couple years Ive learned that ,for me at least, after the vacuum sealing I can pull stuff out 6 months later or even longer and naturally defrost it and it is still pretty much perfect

The initial outlay saves me so much time and money. I'm just lucky I guess because I find the butchering process relaxing and enjoyable, once every 4-6 months Ill buy a bunch of stuff on a Sunday , put some music on and stand in the kitchen for a few hours cutting and vacuum sealing into portions we can pull out for meals for two. My fiancée thinks I'm crazy that I actually enjoy the process, maybe I am, but I don't mind it at all.

Reaction Score
I havent been in a few weeks but I bought a prime whole filet in mid march and the price hadn't risen from what I paid in December . That is what Costco is great for, Ill buy everything whole whether Filet, Strip , Ribeye, etc. And then I butcher it myself into Cuts at the thickness I desire and then Vacuum seal and Freeze (have a dedicated standalone freezer in basement) and then I don't need to worry about buying meats for months and months. So even though I pay anywhere from 150 to 250 dollars each for the wholes, and it seems like a lot of money, it saves me so much in the long run. 1) I'm cutting the meat exactly how I want it. 2) I never have to worry about picking it up at the grocery store. The meat section of the grocery store is in my basement already! Initially I thought the process might degrade the meat over time, but over the last couple years Ive learned that ,for me at least, after the vacuum sealing I can pull stuff out 6 months later or even longer and naturally defrost it and it is still pretty much perfect

The initial outlay saves me so much time and money. I'm just lucky I guess because I find the butchering process relaxing and enjoyable, once every 4-6 months Ill buy a bunch of stuff on a Sunday , put some music on and stand in the kitchen for a few hours cutting and vacuum sealing into portions we can pull out for meals for two. My fiancée thinks I'm crazy that I actually enjoy the process, maybe I am, but I don't mind it at all.
Yeah I have a crappy vacuum sealer that I don't think ever worked right, but I may invest in a nicer one for this very reason. I did water displacement in ziplocks for a couple prime ny strips that I bought and froze, but obviously not the same.

Reaction Score
Not an everyday or even every month thing. But you asked for different because I have the same blahs these days about much you mentioned . You can afford to do it once this season. And you should.

The description on that site is perfect ( not where I purchased from though) the secreto is a cross between a skirt and a rib-eye cap.

And like eating A5 even big eaters like us can’t finish even 8-10 Oz because marbling is so rich.

What a cool website. I always have a tough time shopping for my dad for his birthday but an A5 steak he doesn't even know exists will be tremendous.

The only insight I can add is that short ribs on the grill can be incredible.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What a cool website. I always have a tough time shopping for my dad for his birthday but an A5 steak he doesn't even know exists will be tremendous.

Oh yeah, he'd love it. If I can recommend something though, dont cook A5 like a normal steak. Its an entirely different deal because of the fat content and cooks much quicker. Super High cast iron heat for sear and a minute or so per side. Thats it. Also, unlike other steaks people think they should bring to room temp first, DO NOT do so with A5. The melting point of the fat is very low. It should go right from fridge into quick sear. Also whatever your usual steak consumption is, cut that at least in half for A5. It is so rich even 6 ounces will leave a big eater begging for mercy sometimes.
THe last time I did it I sliced some A5 ribeye into thin slices BEFORE cooking and just stood over the cast iron flash searing a thin slice at a time for like 10 seconds, eating it and then throwing another slice in. After like 5-6 slices I had to tap. Lol. Good thing about that is I still had some left to do again next day. Where as reheating an already cooked leftover one loses tons of the actual greatness.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score

you know things are getting serious when you are offered the option of paying for your steak in "interest free installments"

anyone here ever tried wagyu hanger steak? that seems interesting.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Marinade for up to ~2 lbs of salmon:

½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sugar (I actually use less, so play it by ear...)
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup white wine or sake
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger

Marinate for 1-2 hrs before grilling. I typically just leave it skin side down on the grill until desired internal temp is reached, and the skin easily peels off when salmon is done. You can try flesh side down on a well oiled grill if you want nice grill marks, but the marinade can cause sticking/charring, so I typically play safe with skin down. Note: be careful of any marinade dripping onto grill flames or hotspots, because it can cause flare-ups.
Thanks!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I learned something last night. I put a couple of NY strips in the sous vide. When I took them out I noticed a tear in the ziploc bag, probably from catching on bone. There was a bunch of water in there (benefit to the dog as he always gets the juices). Was concerned I'd totally ruined the things or at best would get something with texture of boiled meat. But went ahead and threw them in the cast iron pan anyway after sopping off all moisture. They were still very edible. Not as good as usual and done beyond my preferred medium-rare, but happy I didn't have to toss them.
I’m sure it may have been mentioned at some point but do you have a recommendation for a particular brand of sous vide cooker?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I’m sure it may have been mentioned at some point but do you have a recommendation for a particular brand of sous vide cooker?
We've had the Sansaire (available on Amazon) for a few years, and it's super simple, and maintains temp accurately.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

I have the ANOVA which I have had for about 5 years and it does a great job. I am not sure there is many major differences between brands outside of features. The ANOVA allows you to start it up remotely, but I have not really used that feature. My in-laws have the Instant Pot brand one and it seems to do the same thing.

If you are going to get one definitely invest in the food safe plastic tubs with lids with the cutout for the sous vide to slide through.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anova, like Colch said.

You'll need a large pasta pot or big Dutch oven for the water, unless you get one of those tubs like Colch mentioned. A tub is also on my wish list down the road.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Grilled Hurley, anyone?
Cranking up the temp to at least smoke him, if not sear just yet. Low and slow for now.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I have the ANOVA which I have had for about 5 years and it does a great job. I am not sure there is many major differences between brands outside of features. The ANOVA allows you to start it up remotely, but I have not really used that feature. My in-laws have the Instant Pot brand one and it seems to do the same thing.

If you are going to get one definitely invest in the food safe plastic tubs with lids with the cutout for the sous vide to slide through.

Anova, like Colch said.

You'll need a large pasta pot or big Dutch oven for the water, unless you get one of those tubs like Colch mentioned. A tub is also on my wish list down the road.
Thank you sirs. My birthday is coming up so these will be on the suggestion list for my wife.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Steak salmon swordfish
I love swordfish but it can be a tough one to keep moist and tender when grilled. My favorite preparation is in a puttanesca sauce (over angel hair pasta) because it takes on all the flavors so well, and the olives seem to keep it extra moist.

I just made some tonight that was some of the best I’ve ever had, but whenever I start with seafood from #1 Fish Market I end up saying that. This was pretty easy though, and even my teenaged daughter loved it. You basically end up poaching the swordfish on top of the tomato sauce and it’s excellent.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I love swordfish but it can be a tough one to keep moist and tender when grilled. My favorite preparation is in a puttanesca sauce (over angel hair pasta) because it takes on all the flavors so well, and the olives seem to keep it extra moist.

I just made some tonight that was some of the best I’ve ever had, but whenever I start with seafood from #1 Fish Market I end up saying that. This was pretty easy though, and even my teenaged daughter loved it. You basically end up poaching the swordfish on top of the tomato sauce and it’s excellent.

Swordfish is one of those things where if I've had a particularly bad one, I just can't go back to it. Probably 20 years or more since I last had it because the ammonia in the last one I had turned my stomach inside out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Swordfish is one of those things where if I've had a particularly bad one, I just can't go back to it. Probably 20 years or more since I last had it because the ammonia in the last one I had turned my stomach inside out.
Which is why I emphasize getting it from # 1 Fish Market. None of their fish smells like fish...or anything. It ain't cheap, but it is hands down the best in the state imo.

I had the ammonia issue years ago with the calamari steak at a restaurant I frequent all the time. I finally said something the next time it was on the menu, and from then on the waiter would always check and see if it was fresh before allowing me to order it. I still order it occasionally, but I always have that memory first.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anybody smoke a brisket? I've only done flats (which are good, but tough to keep juicy), I'm doing a full one this weekend on my Kamado Joe. I'm open to any tips/tricks
I tend to prepare cuts of lesser weights, if only due to time. Rare is the weekend, particularly in the Spring or Fall (kid's sports and other activities), where I can find 18 hours AND a worthy whole packer (i.e. from a quality butcher). Besides it doesn't exactly fit too well in an upright unit. On the other hand, I've done numerous Boston butts, whole chicken (my kids' favorite), turkey (whole and parted), brisket (flat separated from the point and vice versa), smaller chuck roasts, and however many racks of various ribs.

Over the last few years, I've come to realize that there are no rules, except for temperature, when it comes to backyard smoking. There is nothing that says you must use a stick burner to completion, because of what you read in a book or see on TV. None of Myron Mixon, Aaron Franklin, or Johnny Trigg are eating your food, so who cares what their "idea of what real barbeque is all about?" You do not need to please them. To that end, I have no problem using the kitchen oven when it comes time to wrap my meat. Besides, smoke doesn't penetrate either foil or butcher paper particularly well, so you are about done with that feature once the internal temp reaches the 160 level. Steal some techniques, but develop your own style.

Second, to maintain internal moisture and prevent dryness, 1) use a liquid injection during prep, 2) liquid in the water pan during the cook, 3) a spritzer after the meat reaches a certain level of doneness, and 4) add extra fat (butter) to the butcher paper upon wrapping. Some people use sand or brick as a heat sink but I tend to think those methods pull moisture from the meat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom