2022 Grilling Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Grilling Season

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
If you're in a warm clime and have been grilling all year, we don't need to hear it :p

It's been over 60 a couple of times here in Pgh, but rainy. Today it hit 72 and weather was great, so fired up grill for first time in 2022.

Bought some asparagus on sale ($1.99/lb!) and a sirloin flap from a local farm. I'd never done sirloin flap. Looser grain than flank or skirt, but basically cooks the same and adopts marinade as well. As I bought it this morning, marinade time was only about 8 hours till cooking. Used a rosemary/shallot/garlic marinade. The flap was 1"-plus on one side and 1/2"-3/4" on other, so I cut it in two and did the thinner piece on a cooler part of the grill. I think perhaps due to the looser grain, the flap takes well to less than medium rare w/o being tough. Came out beautifully. Served with brown cilantro rice.

I want to try grilling some new things this year. Octopus is top of the list. Never grilled that before. Also need to improve my fish grilling skills as I'd like to add more salmon to the rotation. Maybe even take on some offal, although that's hard to find here except at an indy butcher. As I get older, I'm finding a large steak is simply boring to eat as are a lot of BBQ standards. I'm just over ribs at this point and getting to that point with brisket as well.

What are you planning to make this year on the grill that's out of the ordinary chicken/ribs/steak?
On the salmon front, I've got an Asian salmon marinade recipe that everyone really seems to like if interested. Also, if you've never done cedar plank salmon on the grill, you shuld give it a try. Makes you look like a culinary hero.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Yep! Please post or PM. Thanks.
Marinade for up to ~2 lbs of salmon:

½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup sugar (I actually use less, so play it by ear...)
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup white wine or sake
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger

Marinate for 1-2 hrs before grilling. I typically just leave it skin side down on the grill until desired internal temp is reached, and the skin easily peels off when salmon is done. You can try flesh side down on a well oiled grill if you want nice grill marks, but the marinade can cause sticking/charring, so I typically play safe with skin down. Note: be careful of any marinade dripping onto grill flames or hotspots, because it can cause flare-ups.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Flank vs skirt vs flat iron. Which is best for grilling.

Next up ...

Ribeye vs NY Strip. Ribeye is my favorite, but I just read NY Strip is better for grilling.

I'm heading to Arnold's Meat tomorrow to stock my sub zero for the summer.

How would you spend $500? Feel free to toss in some pork and lamb. I'm ok with a Noah's Ark tasting menu.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Next up ...

Ribeye vs NY Strip. Ribeye is my favorite, but I just read NY Strip is better for grilling.

How would you spend $500? Feel free to toss in some pork and lamb. I'm ok with a Noah's Ark tasting menu.
If you get a sous vide, pretty much every steak is the same for grilling as all you're doing is a sear after the insides have been cooked to your desired temp. Sous vide is particularly important for pork chops, which also require just a quick sear after the bath and will never be dry. You could do same with tenderloin. Of course, you could also sous vide roasts and larger cuts then finish on the grill for extra flavor and texture.

Regarding your first question, I think flap and hanger steaks have the best beefy flavor, and probably make the best eating if you're just having steak. Skirt is best for fajitas, flank is best for stir-fry, but that's as much a personal preference as anything. All of them are easy to grill and probably shouldn't be cooked any other way, unless you're slicing the flack or skirt thin for something you're making in a wok. But if I were spending $500 in one fell swoop, I'd get some of all four - but more of the hangar and flap as those can be hard to find at the supermarket.

I'm not particularly big on grilling lamb and I think pan-frying gives a better crust.

One thing I'd also consider since you brought up pork and lamb is getting a supply of ground meat from each to make a boatload of meatballs, keftes, or cevapi, so you've got an inventory for pastas or flatbreads for when it's miserable out or you want a quick and different lunch. And you can experiment with burgers by having different parts ground, like short ribs, to mix with "standard" ground beef.

Last thought is that since you're dropping a wad with the butcher, convince him/her to throw in some beef cheeks. You'll hardly ever see those beautiful things make it to Stop & Shop.

And you can disregard all of the above once ADub posts as meats are just one component of a meal to me while it's the main obsession for him, so I'll cede expertise.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I grill year round, but I luckily have a covered porch so weather is no longer an issue. I host Easter for the entire family and we sous vide a 16lb Prime Rib and finish it off on the grill for a nice char. Always a fan favorite.

I love grilling ribeyes, skirts, and hangars when it comes to steaks, but really I will grill anything veggies and fruits includes. Grilled peaches were eye opening the first time I had them.

For pork I prefer the Country Style Ribs on the grill. My wife is Portuguese so I have picked up some traditional Portuguese dishes over the years a couple favorites are entrecosto and bifanas.

Entrecosto, Portuguese style pork belly which is cut about 1/4" thick, is amazing with a simple seasoning.

Bifanas are a street food. Quick grilled thin cut pork shoulder or loin, I prefer the shoulder, marinated in white wine, piri piri and garlic. Makes for a quick sandwich.

Obviously the standard burgers and Hummel's natural casing hot dogs are plentyful when summer becomes full swing.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I like to throw on a frozen bubba burger and/or a oscar meyer hotdog marinated in hotdog juice

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Next up ...

You cant go wrong with any of the 3 at the top. All will take marinade tremendously and be equally great on the grill.

As far as Ribeye vs strip. I dont find that to be the case, they are both great on the grill. No marinade on those.

Reaction Score
Anybody smoke a brisket? I've only done flats (which are good, but tough to keep juicy), I'm doing a full one this weekend on my Kamado Joe. I'm open to any tips/tricks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's probably blasphemous, but I steer myself towards the leaner cuts most of the time. Top Sirloin can be good marinated or not. Some others need marinade. We get Sirloin tips marinated pretty regularly.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Grilled up some steak last night to break back into it. Nothing crazy. Just a sirloin with some Rufus Teague rub, sweet potato and cherry tomatoes

Reaction Score

Next up ...

I'm a big NY strip guy, I get the appeal of ribeye but will always go back to NY strip. I also love using any leftover strip for sandwiches or a stir fry or even a steak and eggs the next day

Reaction Score
Never had a costco membership until recently. Got a prime packer brisket for later in the season. I almost fainted at how cheap it was. Had heard internet rumors, but didn't think a Boston area place would be the same as elsewhere. Grocery stores are at $9.99 a lbs for choice brisket. Costco $3.99 for prime!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Never had a costco membership until recently. Got a prime packer brisket for later in the season. I almost fainted at how cheap it was. Had heard internet rumors, but didn't think a Boston area place would be the same as elsewhere. Grocery stores are at $9.99 a lbs for choice brisket. Costco $3.99 for prime!

Yup. It is pretty much the only reason I'm a member. Its real nice Prime too. The only issue I take (and its a real small issue ) with the packers at costco is the flat tapers a bit too much at the end so its thinner than I like there and thus on the long cooks there are a couple inches there that get done way sooner. I usually leave it on though and end up using it for a few chopped sandwiches and/or hash. And I've bought enough of them there over years that it is usually the case. Im always looking for the thickest flat at the flat end, and sometimes I get lucky, but it is never as thick as when I go to butcher in Old Saybrook. But I pay through the nose for that. Only on real special occasions where I'm out to impress on cosmetics do I even consider it. Because it eats exactly the same as costco. All in all, Costco packers are the best deal going and real high quality.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We've got to join. Had dinner at a friends' house a couple weeks ago and they said they were making crab cakes, which bummed us out a bit because we've become crab cake snobs since our daughter went to school in Baltimore and we rarely if ever eat them elsewhere now. But these were terrific and they got them from Costco.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
We've got to join. Had dinner at a friends' house a couple weeks ago and they said they were making crab cakes, which bummed us out a bit because we've become crab cake snobs since our daughter went to school in Baltimore and we rarely if ever eat them elsewhere now. But these were terrific and they got them from Costco.
Stories like this bum me out, since our closest Costco is in freakin' Albuquerque

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yeah. They have some real decent prepared foods. Join East Lyme , I live right down the road, stop by for a beer beforehand and I’ll follow you there :)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a big NY strip guy, I get the appeal of ribeye but will always go back to NY strip.
I learned something last night. I put a couple of NY strips in the sous vide. When I took them out I noticed a tear in the ziploc bag, probably from catching on bone. There was a bunch of water in there (benefit to the dog as he always gets the juices). Was concerned I'd totally ruined the things or at best would get something with texture of boiled meat. But went ahead and threw them in the cast iron pan anyway after sopping off all moisture. They were still very edible. Not as good as usual and done beyond my preferred medium-rare, but happy I didn't have to toss them.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's what I used to pay at BJs Wholesale, but it's up to like $7 a pound now. Are you sure Costco is still $4? Prices went up a lot recently.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Prices went up a lot recently.
On almost everything! My wife came back from her weekly grocery store trip in shock this past weekend.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
On almost everything! My wife came back from her weekly grocery store trip in shock this past weekend.
Yes, it's been like that every week for a month or more now. I went to Target and groaned at the cost of ordinary things. Now that it's spring I was going to smoke a brisket, and I passed given the price.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom