2022 Giants Thread | Page 34 | The Boneyard

2022 Giants Thread

Reaction Score
Neither of those articles were from this most recent season. I don’t have stats or analytics to show, but I remember him overthrowing Slayton a few times on deep shots. And Slayton is very hard to overthrow
Yep he wasn’t perfect.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Neither of those articles were from this most recent season. I don’t have stats or analytics to show, but I remember him overthrowing Slayton a few times on deep shots. And Slayton is very hard to overthrow
I don't remember many overthrows (and that could be on the WR every but as easily as it could be on the QB) but I do remember late in the season a graphic posted during a game that said Slayton had the highest drop rate of any WR in the league with more than a certain amount of targets.

For 2023 what we need to worry about is growth in DJ's overall game, improvement on the OL (not worried about the tackles, one is a pro bowl player, the other should take a huge step forward in his second season. I am very concerned with the interior three) and adding a true #1 WR.

Worst case scenario on this contract will be two years of paying DJ at a little below market for a middle of the road QB followed by a season (where we should have some room) with a bit of a dead cap hit (looks like it would be $12-$15 million if he's gone after two seasons).

If the idea that bringing him back was necessary, this contract was a win for the team (tagging him would have cost us Saquon and would have added the future dead money hit to 2023). The only other alternative would have been to let him walk and if that was the better move, I need to know who would be our QB and how is that an overall upgrade.

Reaction Score
He was 12th in deep ball catch rate this year. I don't have his EPA numbers for it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
His average depth of target was 6.5 yards also, which was bottom of the league. He didn’t take chances, which is good much of the time, but he didn’t raise the ceiling too much. Obviously the line wasn’t great and the weapons were pretty basic, but it’s been a characteristic of his game. He needs to improve his downfield accuracy and his willingness to take chances. Hopefully with more weapons he does. The contract isn’t bad, and i’m glad it’s structured the way it is. It’s a show me contract of sorts.

Stats can be cherrypicked and manipulated to tell almost any story. Every stat mentioned by @HeGotGame above is absolutely valid. So is every one of these:

11th in record (QBs w/=>9 starts)
14th in QB Rating (7th in QBR because he's mobile).
15th in passing yards
21st in TDs
28th in TD%
14th pass att
11th pass comp
25th Sack%

I also think there is a little too much weight being put on a single road playoff win. Active QBs with a single road playoff win include John Wolford, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, and Marcus Mariota. Jimmy G and Ryan Tannehill have two. Other than Goff...maybe, none likely have a snowball's chance to cash in like Jones did.

From the outside looking in, the Giants were ready to move on from Jones a year ago, but let him play out the string. His play improved in the meantime with the addition of a new coach, causing the Giants to look to save face (which they surprisingly did BTW).

There is no denying that Jones had a better 2022 than his first three seasons, but considering how awful that span was, I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest, nor conclude that Schoen reset the market with a mediocre quarterback.

C'est la vie. Congrats, Giants fans, on keeping your guy.

Reaction Score
Stats can be cherrypicked and manipulated to tell almost any story. Every stat mentioned by @HeGotGame above is absolutely valid. So is every one of these:

15th in passing yards
21st in TDs
28th in TD%
14th pass att
11th pass comp
25th Sack%

I also think there is a little too much weight being put on a single road playoff win. Active QBs with a single road playoff win include John Wolford, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff, and Marcus Mariota. Jimmy G and Ryan Tannehill have two. Other than Goff...maybe, none likely have a snowball's chance to cash in like Jones did.

From the outside looking in, the Giants were ready to move on from Jones a year ago, but let him play out the string. His play improved in the meantime with the addition of a new coach, causing the Giants to look to save face (which they surprisingly did BTW).

There is no denying that Jones had a better 2022 than his first three seasons, but considering how awful that span was, I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest, nor conclude that Schoen reset the market with a mediocre quarterback.

I appreciate you admitting you were wrong.

And yes, as you proved, stats can be cherry picked, like you only picking ones that completely eliminate one of his best attributes, his legs. Whatever it takes to try to prove your point thought right?

I would give up on the Jones stuff and worry about your own house. Here is the all important value over replacement metric:

7th- Daniel Jones
33rd - Mac Jones

Oh, and 2 of the guys you listed have significantly higher cap hits in 2023, one them is double the cap hit.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I appreciate you admitting you were wrong.

And yes, as you proved, stats can be cherry picked, like you only picking ones that completely eliminate one of his best attributes, his legs. Whatever it takes to try to prove your point thought right?

I would give up on the Jones stuff and worry about your own house. Here is the all important value over replacement metric:

7th- Daniel Jones
33rd - Mac Jones

Oh, and 2 of the guys you listed have significantly higher cap hits in 2023, one them is double the cap hit.
I gave Schoen props multiple times over the last couple days. Doesn't change my opinion that D. Jones is mediocre, nor the fact that the Giants (and their fans) were comfortable moving on, before saving face by overpaying him and resetting the market.

There is a lot of noise coming out of Foxborough about Mac Jones, and I don't understand it, unless they truly think Patricia and Judge completely broke him. I don't think they do, and I don't think he is. Coaching is more important in no other sport than football. Mac was a Pro Bowler as a rookie and they have at least one more year - this time with competent offensive coaching/play calling - to see what they have in him and which season was the outlier. The Giants showed the league a path forward to retaining a player after declining the 5th year option.

Reaction Score

15th in passing yards
21st in TDs
28th in TD%
14th pass att
11th pass comp
25th Sack%

Happy with him being a Giant. I’d prefer to think that both Schoen and Dabol believe he’s much better than mediocre based on their football knowledge. They see this year as the tip of the iceberg.

Reaction Score

Still no WR1 but Campbell, Hodgins, Wandale, Shepard is a pretty solid WR2-WR5 and then Barkley/Waller/Bellinger as targets too

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Separated at birth Kelsey Plum & the Joker?

Screenshot_20230316-133135_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230316-133303_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score

Still no WR1 but Campbell, Hodgins, Wandale, Shepard is a pretty solid WR2-WR5 and then Barkley/Waller/Bellinger as targets too

Cheap too at 1 year $3 mill. Great low risk signing. Amazing the difference between the last two regimes and this one in free agency

Reaction Score
All adequate-to-good WRs, would be nice to draft a sure thing. Hoping one of the top 4 WRs drops to us
Agreed, hoping one of them falls. Quentin Johnston is the one I want most but I'd be happy with any of the top 4

Reaction Score
Whoa ok now there’s depth at wr already. Go another wr in draft a number 1 then go oline and defense crazy in the draft.

Reaction Score
As much as Id like to draft a WR in round 1, we need a corner, badly. Not sure Tillman makes it that far into round 2, but getting him a top corner in round 1 would be great.

Reaction Score
As much as Id like to draft a WR in round 1, we need a corner, badly. Not sure Tillman makes it that far into round 2, but getting him a top corner in round 1 would be great.
I’m hoping Robinson can come back strong and Flott can continue to develop, but it is an area of need for sure. LB’s, CB, O Line and WR are biggest areas to improve, also DLine depth.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom