2022/23 TV Eyeballs | The Boneyard

2022/23 TV Eyeballs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, folks I usually only rank TV eyeball games that are over 200 K. There have only been two thus far. I'm gonna go ahead and include SCar at Maryland but I'll cut it when there are ten games above it. Hopefully WBB will exceed last year's viewership!

1. Texas-UConn 236,000 FOX 1

2. Indiana-Tennessee 210,000 ESPN2

3. South Carolina-Maryland 193,000 ESPN *

Calling @awhom111 (who is the true star at tracking viewership!)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, folks I usually only rank TV eyeball games that are over 200 K. There have only been two thus far. I'm gonna go ahead and include SCar at Maryland but I'll cut it when there are ten games above it. Hopefully WBB will exceed last year's viewership!

The UConn Texas numbers are even more impressive when you realize that FS1 has much fewer viewers than ESPN2 and certainly much, much less than ESPN. That is a very impressive draw and the viewers who took the time to seek out FS1 were rewarded by a great game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The UConn Texas numbers are even more impressive when you realize that FS1 has much fewer viewers than ESPN2 and certainly much, much less than ESPN. That is a very impressive draw and the viewers who took the time to seek out FS1 were rewarded by a great game.

I wonder if Steph Curry rockin Azzi's jersey helped

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity does anybody have an idea of how many programs have all their games on at least local TV. It used to be pretty rare, but I imagine at least many of the top programs do that now.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think very many if any.

Its all streaming these days, and you can catch the top programs on ESPN+, BTN+, SECN+, ACCN+, B12/ESPN+, and etc.

I doubt most conference media contracts allow a lot of individual coverage. A few I am remotely aware of:

• Texas broadcasts their home games on Longhorn Network if they are not on a national broadcast.
  • Oklahoma has had a TV package with what used to be Fox Sports Oklahoma, don't know if they still do with the current company
  • New Mexico State has had packages on "Aggie-Vision" with some TV coverage on what used to be FSAZ, among other stations.

The thing is, as @Kaizen mentioned above, this is the preferred mode for many. Plus, in many cases (so far as I know) you don't have to watch it live.

Apart from anything else, UConn has a national interest and following (similar to (yuck) ND football) that merits the coverage.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn started with CPTV the first to invest in a women's basketball program and a true trailblazer. CPTV was also the first to offer a full schedule of streaming.

SNY then outbid CPTV for the broadcast rights - still the only women's program to be contract for a full season and before any broadcast rights deals at the conference level included WCBB.

When first the American (ESPN) and then the BE (FS1) sold rights packages that included WCBB, SNY had to negotiate with those providers to continue to broadcast Uconn WCBB in their local markets in return for giving the streaming rights to them.

ESPN, FS1, and the other big networks produce only cherry-picked games themselves and all the other streaming content they provide is produced by others - SNY for Uconn and various local or conference networks for the rest.

I believe Uconn is still unique in the amount of non-game programming exclusively produced for their WCBB team - the pre/post game half hours, the Geno show, and the other specials.

Agree that the normal measures of TV sets no longer tell the whole story of viewership. I know from my business experience people are still struggling to get a handle on all the other 'channels' to live/delayed viewership.

Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll admit it. After the Texas game wasn’t the blowout I expected, I’m a tiny bit nervous about watching the NC St game live. Streaming may be better for me this time, just so I can watch it later, when it’s “safe.” At least then I can prepare myself.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ok, I’ll admit it. After the Texas game wasn’t the blowout I expected, I’m a tiny bit nervous about watching the NC St game live. Streaming may be better for me this time, just so I can watch it later, when it’s “safe.” At least then I can prepare myself.
You may have to take this approach quite often this season! Uconn is a really good team but their margin of error is very small (as it has been for a few years.) Last time I really felt confident heading into big games was when Kia and Gabby, and Lou and Napheesa were on the court.

Reaction Score

I will go ahead and post everything in this thread, including games where I have not seen ratings released for yet. Data is usually from ShowBuzzDaily and viewership is estimated average number of viewers during the game based on the sample.

11/8 Tennessee-Ohio State BTN 100,000
11/11 Wisconsin-Kansas State BTN Not Top 150
11/11 South Carolina-Maryland ESPN2 193,000
11/12 Cal-Notre Dame NBC Release Delayed
11/13 Stanford-Portland ESPN2 Not Top 150
11/14 Indiana-Tennessee ESPN2 210,000
11/14 Texas-UConn FS1 236,000

The actual viewership will be much higher since many people use PC, I-Pad or I-Phone watching through the Fox on-line streaming, not through TV.
People in the sample who watch online, including while not in their homes, count as long as they are watching the same feed as the TV (same commercials).

Reaction Score
I will go ahead and post everything in this thread, including games where I have not seen ratings released for yet. Data is usually from ShowBuzzDaily and viewership is estimated average number of viewers during the game based on the sample.

11/8 Tennessee-Ohio State BTN 100,000
11/11 Wisconsin-Kansas State BTN Not Top 150
11/11 South Carolina-Maryland ESPN2 193,000
11/12 Cal-Notre Dame NBC Release Delayed
11/13 Stanford-Portland ESPN2 Not Top 150
11/14 Indiana-Tennessee ESPN2 210,000
11/14 Texas-UConn FS1 236,000

People in the sample who watch online, including while not in their homes, count as long as they are watching the same feed as the TV (same commercials).
What does “Not Top 150” mean? Is it “Not among the 150 most viewed programs of the day?”

So glad to see you here again this year! :)

Reaction Score
My honest, nonjudgmental question is why you thought the game would be a blowout 30 point win by UCONN?
Great Coach, one started down from what was a very accomplished team last season.
Me, I’d like to see UCONN every game comfortably, but that won’t always be in the cards (like an undefeated season), but scratching and clawing for a victory is a function of team growth-so I’m good with that.

Reaction Score
My honest, nonjudgmental question is why you thought the game would be a blowout 30 point win by UCONN?
Great Coach, one started down from what was a very accomplished team last season.
Me, I’d like to see UCONN every game comfortably, but that won’t always be in the cards (like an undefeated season), but scratching and clawing for a victory is a function of team growth-so I’m good with that.
I got it wrong, no doubt. But it wasn't completely unfounded.

I saw their previous outings and they didn't play well against creampuffs. I knew Jones would be a significant presence, but it seemed clear that she couldn't go a whole game, and I knew Sonya was a real scoring threat. On the minus side of the equation, I had seen what Gonzalez could do last season and she hadn't impressed me as a top-10 ready point guard, and though Holle has a decent midrange game, she is not one of Vic's better defenders.

What I hadn't expect to see was how effective Moore could be. She was limited by some bad calls, or the result would have been even closer. And the 2 freshmen, Muhammad and Mwenentanda were better than I had expected. they'll be something special eventually. I also hadn't expected such poor refereeing -- though in hindsight I probably should have, since they're out of practice, too. One consequence of the poor refereeing was that Lou was taken off the floor early by a poor call on her third foul.

So where I went obviously wrong was:
1) in expecting Lou to score more, but I think I get a pass on that one because of the refs. The bad calls weren't one sided though, since Moore was also taken off the floor by them

2) expecting better free throw shooting, which was naive of me, but here too Texas could have shot better from the stripe

3) not anticipating such a big let down in the final 4 mins. I think we were more tired than I expected, and Jones had a little more gas in the tank than I had credited her with.

The result is I was off by 24 or so pts. Had Lou been on the court more and made a few more shots (not an unreasonable expectation) she could easily have scored another 10, and if we'd been ready for that final spurt that would have expanded the final MOV by another 8-10. I comfort myself with thinking a couple of accidental circumstances made my poor reasoning look worse than it really was.

What does this mean going forward? I'm much more cautious about the NC St game and will probably pick UConn by +5. Here's my position by position assessment:
5. Hobby is a player rather like Moore and Gaston, big and strong though slow-footed. They have another big, Baldwin, who could pose a problem for Dorka.
4. Boyd is a quick 4 with a midrange game -- will Aaliyah be able to contain her without getting in foul trouble? This a job for Aubrey, who is more than enough for Boyd, though she may be needed on the perimeter.
3. So far Rivers has continued to disappoint, but perhaps she can turn it around against us. Will we have an answer for her? Aubrey again?
1 & 2. Johnson is a Harmon like guard, but I expect Nika and Azzi to contain her. But can they do that and also contain Brown-Turner?

These are the question marks for me. Last year, they could run with us and the game was a nail-biter. I don't think they can run with us this year quite so effectively, but we may not be able to account for all their scorers. Also, we may actually need Ayanna to play in a more controlled way, to help keep Hobby Baldwin Boyd off the boards for a longer stretch. Finally, we need Lou not get taken off the floor early -- her 15-20 may be essential even if Azzi has another dazzling night. Texas is not an efficient scoring team, and they got >70 on us. NC St is a good scoring team so we need more consistent defense, better boxing out, and some real scoring punch at all positions. And we need to run even more this game -- they're a little bigger than we are, and a little slower. This means we don't go toe-to-toe with them in the half court, we have to use the entire floor. This worked well against Texas. But if Johnson plays up to her potential, it may be harder to pull off against NC St.

Reaction Score
Mr. Bone Dog- greatly understand your detailed rationale regarding your prediction/feelings on the match up.
I didn’t inquire to put you on the spot, was just curious.
All good points.
Props to you for taking the time.
Thanks much.

Reaction Score
Mr. Bone Dog- greatly understand your detailed rationale regarding your prediction/feelings on the match up.
I didn’t inquire to put you on the spot, was just curious.
All good points.
Props to you for taking the time.
Thanks much.
I enjoyed your post, and I don't ever mind being put on the spot.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Uconn started with CPTV the first to invest in a women's basketball program and a true trailblazer. CPTV was also the first to offer a full schedule of streaming.

SNY then outbid CPTV for the broadcast rights - still the only women's program to be contract for a full season and before any broadcast rights deals at the conference level included WCBB.

When first the American (ESPN) and then the BE (FS1) sold rights packages that included WCBB, SNY had to negotiate with those providers to continue to broadcast Uconn WCBB in their local markets in return for giving the streaming rights to them.

ESPN, FS1, and the other big networks produce only cherry-picked games themselves and all the other streaming content they provide is produced by others - SNY for Uconn and various local or conference networks for the rest.

I believe Uconn is still unique in the amount of non-game programming exclusively produced for their WCBB team - the pre/post game half hours, the Geno show, and the other specials.

Agree that the normal measures of TV sets no longer tell the whole story of viewership. I know from my business experience people are still struggling to get a handle on all the other 'channels' to live/delayed viewership.
I don't remember how many games they broadcast, but UVA had a deal with a local commercial station beginning in the mid-to-late 80's. I saw many games with Dawn, Tammi, Tonya Cardoza, the Burge twins and many whose names I can't remember.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
You may have to take this approach quite often this season! Uconn is a really good team but their margin of error is very small (as it has been for a few years.) Last time I really felt confident heading into big games was when Kia and Gabby, and Lou and Napheesa were on the court.
hope you will get that confident feeling back by the time new year's comes around

Reaction Score
UConn by 11 vs NC State. Should be exciting for sure. Biggest variable is how the refs call the game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't remember how many games they broadcast, but UVA had a deal with a local commercial station beginning in the mid-to-late 80's. I saw many games with Dawn, Tammi, Tonya Cardoza, the Burge twins and many whose names I can't remember.
I am sure there were some deals to broadcast some games prior to CPTV, but I am fairly sure CPTV was the first to buy the rights to a full season for a WCBB team and especially the first to go so far as to produce road games and buy local broadcast rights when other teams were producing Uconn games for on their own floors.

CPTV's success was a real eye opener for the commercial viability of WCBB and I think was a primary driver to networks adding WCBB to their conference rights deals.

Reaction Score
What does “Not Top 150” mean? Is it “Not among the 150 most viewed programs of the day?”

So glad to see you here again this year! :)
ShowBuzzDaily gets a list of each day's Top 150 cable originals (although channels have been known to not code reruns properly and have them pop up on the list) in terms of estimated average percentage viewership in the 18-49 age group. Sometimes another site will have ratings for lower viewed stuff, but ShowBuzzDaily has the longest history of reliably providing numbers.

On that subject, Notre Dame-Northwestern did not make Wednesday's list of available numbers.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately they still make the women play at DJ Sokol Arena which holds approximately 37 people
Actually I think it’s more like 8500. An arena…but a very comfortable one. I’ll be in my usual $12 seat…court side behind Meghan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom