2021 Tokyo Olympics ??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Tokyo Olympics ???

Reaction Score
I think the only people who actually care about these Olympics are the athletes.

I guess they should be the ones to decide on the olympics then right, not the politicians and the Corona Bros.

Reaction Score
I speaking with some friends in Tokyo, they do not want the Olympics in their country.
COVID-19 is running crazy again.........Would you send your son or daughter?

When sports were played the past year there were zero deaths or even hospitalizations and that was in flu season and without the vaccine.

Reaction Score
Chances are vaccinated Americans, including athletes, are safe. That isn’t the problem. That’s insular thinking. The problem is that few Japanese are and most of the spectators will be Japanese, increasing the chances of spreading it in that country. There is the added problem that visitors from other countries also might not be vaccinated and will return home carrying Covid with them. A gathering that represents virtually every country on earth—talk about a super spreader event—might not be the wisest move at this point.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Chances are vaccinated Americans, including athletes, are safe. That isn’t the problem. That’s insular thinking. The problem is that few Japanese are and most of the spectators will be Japanese, increasing the chances of spreading it in that country. There is the added problem that visitors from other countries also might not be vaccinated and will return home carrying Covid with them. A gathering that represents virtually every country on earth—talk about a super spreader event—might not be the wisest move at this point.
Actually, there is almost no possibility that there will be spectators, or that there will be any foreign visitors not "part" of the Olympics.

Essentially, they are talking a "bubble" (huge) of Olympic competitors and staff. However, there is a valid concern that the virus could spread via Japanese "support" staff - the cooks, cleaners, folks running the mechanicals, etc. etc.

Its all about the money. That said, if it could be run in the way most generally outlined, I would not think it was horrible to hold the Olympics. If they think spectators are a good idea, don't have vaccine requirements for athletes, allow folks from all over the world to fly in and stay in hotels - well, then I do not support holding the Olympics.

Reaction Score
The IOC has the power to postpone, stop, or continue with the 2021 Olympics in Japan....it is a political power who is influenced by money....I would be surprised if they did anything other than going with the current schedule.

Reaction Score
Actually, there is almost no possibility that there will be spectators, or that there will be any foreign visitors not "part" of the Olympics.

Essentially, they are talking a "bubble" (huge) of Olympic competitors and staff. However, there is a valid concern that the virus could spread via Japanese "support" staff - the cooks, cleaners, folks running the mechanicals, etc. etc.

Its all about the money. That said, if it could be run in the way most generally outlined, I would not think it was horrible to hold the Olympics. If they think spectators are a good idea, don't have vaccine requirements for athletes, allow folks from all over the world to fly in and stay in hotels - well, then I do not support holding the Olympics.
It is true that foreign spectators are banned, 600,000 tickets are being refunded. The last word I saw left it unclear if or how many Japanese spectators will be allowed, though given the lack of vaccinations in Japan it looks to be empty stands. It costs a fortune to stage the Olympics. Will selling tv rights even come close to covering expenses?

Reaction Score
. . . Will selling tv rights even come close to covering expenses?
I don't know about that, but I do know that Japan has a signed contract with the IOC, and
if Japan were to unilaterally cancel the games they would be on the hook for a ton of money.

Reaction Score
As with many countries, vaccines are not as readily available in Japan yet, as they are in the US. Only 5% of the Japanese population has received at least 1 dose of a vaccine vs 50%+ in the US. This presents all kinds of issues just running the games, let alone allowing fans to attend.
Wonder why no one in the Japanese government thought of that? I mean, after they postponed the Olympics the first time, and all.

Reaction Score

What exactly is the 3X3 game? Each player gets a ball? Games are held in a swimming pool? Court is the size of a football field? Or, alternatively,played in a closet? Who thinks of these things? I would star and win a gold medal in a 1 X 0 game.

Reaction Score
Lets see: athletes of say 130 countries converging in Tokyo and being exposed to all kinds of variants and then going back to 130 countries. What could possibly go wrong? Let the games begin.!

Reaction Score
New polls indicate 80% of Japanese think games should be cancelled or postponed. Would waiting until 2022 be the end of the world? Part of the Olympic message is to bring the world together. Foreign spectators are banned but there will still be 80,000 folks connected to teams from 120 countries posed to mingle with a 97% unvaccinated population. 10,000–that’s 1 in 8–volunteers have pulled out from support staff.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
FWIW, the trends seem to be going in the right direction in Japan

1622734110951.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the concerns relative to the Tokyo Olympics is whether or not a country with barely 5% of its population vaccinated will be able to staff the thousands of positions necessary to run the Games. With 50 days to go until the Olympics, approximately 10,000 out of 80,000 volunteers have notified organizers they will not participate in the games. With strong sentiment in Japan against holding the Games, that number will very likely increase.

Reaction Score
One of the concerns relative to the Tokyo Olympics is whether or not a country with barely 5% of its population vaccinated will be able to staff the thousands of positions necessary to run the Games. With 50 days to go until the Olympics, approximately 10,000 out of 80,000 volunteers have notified organizers they will not participate in the games. With strong sentiment in Japan against holding the Games, that number will very likely increase.
Why hasn’t USA offered a few million vaccines to Japan & Olympic athletes & volunteers??? Would relieve much pressure on Japan holding olympics.

Reaction Score
Why hasn’t USA offered a few million vaccines to Japan & Olympic athletes & volunteers??? Would relieve much pressure on Japan holding olympics.
I thought about that but I believe that because Japan is a modern progressive country (which gambled it could produce its own vaccine and lost), the U.S. is starting with poorer countries, though it did send some to South Korea.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Japan actually has access to tens of millions of doses of vaccine. Several issues have plagued their distribution. Japan’s regulatory approval process is complicated and cumbersome. The first vaccine was only approved for use in Japan this past February. Secondly, several supply chain challenges and disruptions delayed shipments of vaccine for many weeks. Thirdly, Japan’s rollout of a vaccination program was slow to ramp up and inconsistent.

If all that wasn’t enough, the Japanese people have a long history of vaccine hesitancy. In recent weeks, Japan has begun to accelerate their vaccination program. But with 125 million people and the 2nd oldest average population in the world, second only to Monaco, their vaccination priority has to be seniors and at risk individuals first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably better to send vaccines to Syrian refugee camps. Sports, the Olympics, are great, but...

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If unvaccinated the Japanese people will be tested and or stay home. People from countries we not be allowed to attend the games. Your reasons therefore have little to no merit. I don't know if the games will be held, no one does for sure but there are enough real problems without throwing in problems that are not relevant insular or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom