2021 Tokyo Olympics ??? | The Boneyard

2021 Tokyo Olympics ???

Reaction Score
I speaking with some friends in Tokyo, they do not want the Olympics in their country.
COVID-19 is running crazy again.........Would you send your son or daughter?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wish they can just create some form of international event replicating the Olympics and host in the US.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Several different levels to this. No foreign fans will be allowed in Tokyo, but 80% of the Japanese people oppose holding the games.

For the most part, the athletes are not children. They are young men & women who will have to decide for themselves whether to go if Japan moves forward with the Olympics. For many who have worked a lifetime to get to the Olympics, this will be their last opportunity to do so.

Almost all US athletes will be fully vaccinated prior to the games. The risk to them will be extremely low.

Reaction Score
Wait till 2022.....why risk anything?...being vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get sick.
If you're vaxxed, your chances of testing positive is very low. If you do, you most likely will be asymptomatic. You most likely will not be hospitalize and you will not die.

The Olympians will be in a bubble. Their movements will be controlled. They will not be exposed to the surrounding environs.

Remember that 2022 is the Beijing Winter Olympics. Two Olympics in the same year; I don't think so.

Reaction Score
If you're vaxxed, your chances of testing positive is very low. If you do, you most likely will be asymptomatic. You most likely will not be hospitalize and you will not die.

The Olympians will be in a bubble. Their movements will be controlled. They will not be exposed to the surrounding environs.

Remember that 2022 is the Beijing Winter Olympics. Two Olympics in the same year; I don't think so.
First off there are people who have been fully vaccinated and then have died of Covid. That is a fact. Second the Oympics are not important in the grand scheme of things. Quick name the winner of the last Olympic weight lifting gold medal. Yeah. If the world wants an Olympics so badly have at it.

Reaction Score
First off there are people who have been fully vaccinated and then have died of Covid. That is a fact. Second the Oympics are not important in the grand scheme of things. Quick name the winner of the last Olympic weight lifting gold medal. Yeah. If the world wants an Olympics so badly have at it.
Show me legitimate data that states that and if it is true you likely have a higher chance of dying in a car crash or one of the many of more dangerous things in this world. There is risk everywhere and hiding from doesn’t make it disapear.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
According to the CDC:

• Of the more than 130 million people in the United States who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, there have been reports of at least 10,262 breakthrough infections
  • A breakthrough infection occurs when someone tests positive for coronavirus more than 14 days after the second dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines or the single Johnson & Johnson shot.
  • Roughly a quarter of the breakthrough cases didn’t have symptoms — they were likely detected through routine testing, the CDC found in a report released Tuesday.
  • Of 955 people who were hospitalized, about a third were in the hospital for reasons unrelated to Covid-19, or were asymptomatic.
  • About 160 people, or 2 percent, died. Twenty eight of the deaths were unrelated to Covid-19. The CDC didn’t report whether the people had underlying conditions or comorbidities such as obesity.

Reaction Score
There are 0.0079% chance you have full vaccinated but get infected.

"Of the more than 130 million people in the United States who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, there have been reports of at least 10,262 breakthrough infections, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I train almost my entire life. I am fully vaccinated, I don't live in a hazmat suit. I have normal things I have to do where I interact with people, I have choices to make, do I train in contact with other people? Yes I do. Do I go to stores? Yes I do. I realize there are any number of places, any number of people on which the virus may be lurking. I know the chances are so low that I get the virus and even lower that I will have symptoms if I do have the virus.
What to do, while you may stay home I choose to go. It's my time! I know I have a greater chance of getting the virus at the local dollar store than I do at the controlled environment at the Olympics.

Reaction Score
According to the CDC:

• Of the more than 130 million people in the United States who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, there have been reports of at least 10,262 breakthrough infections
that is .008% (I rounded up Kaizen)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For a long time, we had no spectators at sporting events in the U.S. Fairly recently, fans have been allowed at a fraction of capacity. Some events are on the verge of lifting capacity restrictions altogether.

What are the plans for attendance at the Olympics? Full capacity? Limited capacity? No spectators? If the last, how much of a financial hit results?

Reaction Score
Only 1.8% of the Japanese are vaccinated. Lots of different reasons but that in itself is a very compelling argument to canceling the games in Tokyo.

Reaction Score
I speaking with some friends in Tokyo, they do not want the Olympics in their country.
COVID-19 is running crazy again.........Would you send your son or daughter?
If they were fully vaccinated, what is the worry? As long as everyone who attends, provides service or competes in the Olympics is fully vaccinated, it should be fine. Those not vaccinated have to remain in their apartments. And schedule their appointments for shots.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If they were fully vaccinated, what is the worry? As long as everyone who attends, provides service or competes in the Olympics is fully vaccinated, it should be fine. Those not vaccinated have to remain in their apartments. And schedule their appointments for shots.
As with many countries, vaccines are not as readily available in Japan yet, as they are in the US. Only 5% of the Japanese population has received at least 1 dose of a vaccine vs 50%+ in the US. This presents all kinds of issues just running the games, let alone allowing fans to attend.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks to everyone for supporting the fact that vaccinations will most likely prevent positive symptomatic COVID results, hospitalizations and deaths.

The numbers seem to suggest that the phrase “almost certainly” is a more appropriate substitute for “most likely.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the only people who actually care about these Olympics are the athletes.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
If someone is an athlete of Olympic quality in a very competitive sport, for example, swimming. There is a very narrow age window for that athlete to make the Olympic team. An Olympian training for 2021 may not be sharp enough for 2022. As much as I would like to say postpone the Olympics, it is very unfair to those who have one shot at this event. The media watches and shows us those who are stars and who repeat, but to those who participate and never gain the podium, it's still a medal in itself to have represented their country. Most of the world watches it on TV. Run the event. The athletes will be all well-protected in their bubble.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom