OT: - 2021 Solheim Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2021 Solheim Cup

Reaction Score
Somewhat understandable. Anyone who has been on a key business meeting knows its difficult to win the big deal then the following week go into another deal. While we can expect more, most look at their pro tour as their main priority.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I was there all three days working as a marshal. For this weekend, at least, the Euros were just better. I thought some of the US players looked a little lethargic. The best player this weekend? Ireland's Leona McGuire. She hasn't won yet on tour but it is only a matter of time. She demolished arguably the USA's hottest player Jennifer Kupcho. I saw Kupcho on the eighth tee and she had a look of resignation on her face indicating that she knew she was being taken to the woodshed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Just curious. Were their any choices made in picking the team that were strange or controversial?
No I believe that Coach Hurst put the best team that was available with what she had to work with. The 3 Captain's pick (Altomare, Harigae, and Noh) were not the ones that caused the US to lose. It was their partner's play most of the time. In Saturday's morning round Thompson and Altomare lost, but it was Thompson who lost the match. In the afternoon round Hurst had Altomare and Noh play and Thompson and Harigae play. I believe that both rookies were the better (Noh and Harigae) then Thompson and Altomare. The only two pairings that I didn't agree with were the Kroda sisters in Saturday's morning round and the Altomare and Noh pairing in the afternoon round.

Reaction Score
No I believe that Coach Hurst put the best team that was available with what she had to work with. The 3 Captain's pick (Altomare, Harigae, and Noh) were not the ones that caused the US to lose. It was their partner's play most of the time. In Saturday's morning round Thompson and Altomare lost, but it was Thompson who lost the match. In the afternoon round Hurst had Altomare and Noh play and Thompson and Harigae play. I believe that both rookies were the better (Noh and Harigae) then Thompson and Altomare. The only two pairings that I didn't agree with were the Kroda sisters in Saturday's morning round and the Altomare and Noh pairing in the afternoon round.
The rookies played well together, Thompson and Altomare were a terrible pairing in alternate shot. Altomare is so short off the tee, Thompson was playing shot 30 or 40 yards from where she normally plays.

Reaction Score
I think the Captain Pat Hurst made a mistake pairing the Korda sisters the first session, they didn't seem to be jelling.

Not sure if you're serious, but I'll respond just in case.

1. When paired in the 2019, the Korda sisters won their two matches by an amazing 6 and 4, and 6 and 5. Complete dominance. Do you think they forgot how to play with each other since then, even though they play together more frequently than any other pair of American golfers?

2. How do you evaluate whether a pair is "jelling", as opposed to simply not playing their best golf for one round?

3. Multiple reports said that Jessica Korda became ill on Saturday. Likely affected her play in that first round - and was the main reason she did not play the next two rounds.

4. The Kordas like playing together and had requested that they be paired together.

5. The only match where the Kordas were paired together, they drew the European's top pair - Maguire and Reid. Those two went 3-0 when paired together. The Kordas lost one down on the final hole. They certainly were not blown out.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The rookies played well together, Thompson and Altomare were a terrible pairing in alternate shot. Altomare is so short off the tee, Thompson was playing shot 30 or 40 yards from where she normally plays.
I would have played Thompson and J. Korda and Altomare & N. Korda on the alternate shot pairings. In the Olympic play Thompson appeared to already be playing 30 or 40 yards shorter.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
They were together because Altomare is a great putter and Lexi struggles. Plus, and I could be dead wrong, the vibe Lexi has with rhe rest of the team isn’t good. She was in a pod with Altomare, Noh and Harigae.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They were together because Altomare is a great putter and Lexi struggles. Plus, and I could be dead wrong, the vibe Lexi has with rhe rest of the team isn’t good. She was in a pod with Altomare, Noh and Harigae.
They should have had the rookies in separate pods so that they have more veterans to learn off of. Having 3 rookies in one pod is Coach Hurst's fault.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
They should have had the rookies in separate pods so that they have more veterans to learn off of. Having 3 rookies in one pod is Coach Hurst's fault.
Hurst surveyed the players a head of time. They had a say on who they played with. Lexi played a practice round Tuesday by herself. Odd in a team event. Again, I could be reading the signs incrrectly but on paper, there are several great partners for Lexi. By the way, Lexi hit it really well and I’d an outstanding singles match against Nordquist. Nordquist is still in dorm after her major victory.

Reaction Score
Our team only lost 15-13....considering there were lots of rookies, and a couple of matches that could have, or should have, turned out different...they did fine. Losing is never good, but in 2 years we should kick Europe's butt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom