2021 class ratings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 class ratings

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think Raven Johnson is really the #2 player in the class? I don't quite see it

Well, I am not qualified to answer that. From watching highlights I can see how she might qualify for such a rating because she appear to be an excellent point guard. It will be interesting to see how the other services rank her if/when they re-rank based on Summer AAU ball. Although, in this weird Covid year, they might not do a re-rank.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm suspicious of ESPN entire top 10 to be honest with you and that includes #1 (the player that should not be named). If Caroline and Raven can rise to # 2 and number #5 respectively based on recent played then surely that player at #1 should have dropped due to the injury and recent play.
It will be even more difficult for ESPN, or any rating service, to effectively evaluate players going forward if, as seems likely, HS basketball is largely curtailed this season by the pandemic. Add in the fact that AAU & international play was largely eliminated over this past summer, and the rating services are left with their best guess.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think Raven Johnson is really the #2 player in the class? I don't quite see it

Who do you think should be there? Just curious...

Reaction Score
It will be even more difficult for ESPN, or any rating service, to effectively evaluate players going forward if, as seems likely, HS basketball is largely curtailed this season by the pandemic. Add in the fact that AAU & international play was largely eliminated over this past summer, and the rating services are left with their best guess.

The ESPN re-rank by premier was based in large part on their tournament they had this Summer. Of course, not every 2021 prospect was in the tourney. In fact, I would say that very few top 2021 prospects were there. The 2022 attendee list seems much more impressive. 2020: The PRIME event

Reaction Score
Hollingshead and Fudd put UConn at no. 1 so I wouldn’t let this version of the rankings get you upset. Way to early for a reason.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Hollingshead and Fudd put UConn at no. 1 so I wouldn’t let this version of the rankings get you upset. Way to early for a reason.

I think with Deberry in 2021 and Brady in 2022, Hollingshead is probably no longer in the mix.

If we don't get Fudd, then I'd be willing to bet our 2021 class stays at three.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you really think UConn is going to take a 5 player class?
Numbers wise a 5 player 2021 class does not work for UCONN unless Evina Westbrook goes pro after the season or Autumn is not put on scholarship.

Reaction Score
Numbers wise a 5 player 2021 class does not work for UCONN unless Evina Westbrook goes pro after the season or Autumn is not put on scholarship.

I guess I could see Hollingshead as a backup plan if SHE-who-cannot-be-named surprises us and commits elsewhere. Might explain why JH hasn't committed elsewhere yet.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess I could see Hollingshead as a backup plan if SHE-who-cannot-be-named surprises us and commits elsewhere. Might explain why JH hasn't committed elsewhere yet.
I don't know where things stand with UCONN and Hollingshead but if I had to speculate I don't see it happening. This is going to sound sacrilegious coming from a UCONN fan but I like Hollingshead more than any other post in the 2021 class. She came up a perimeter player with a decent three ball and has added muscle to now be a legit college post and/or a stretch 4. Even at UCONN she would press for a starting spot as a freshman.

Reaction Score

There is a post on the general board, I believe in the recruit thread, saying she was down to 2 schools. UCLA being one. I don't remember who the other school is.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is a post on the general board, I believe in the recruit thread, saying she was down to 2 schools. UCLA being one. I don't remember who the other school is.
Think it was Georgia. The post also said she had dropped Mississippi State. I predicted that Hollingshead would end up at Georgia about 5 months ago.

Reaction Score
I don't know where things stand with UCONN and Hollingshead but if I had to speculate I don't see it happening. This is going to sound sacrilegious coming from a UCONN fan but I like Hollingshead more than any other post in the 2021 class. She came up a perimeter player with a decent three ball and has added muscle to now be a legit college post and/or a stretch 4. Even at UCONN she would press for a starting spot as a freshman.

I don't think Hollingshead going to UConn was/is evenly remotely possible. There is no way Coach Auriemma would have given a walk on a scholly if he thought he had a legitimate shot at both Hollingshead and Fudd.

Reaction Score
I don't think Hollingshead going to UConn was/is evenly remotely possible. There is no way Coach Auriemma would have given a walk on a scholly if he thought he had a legitimate shot at both Hollingshead and Fudd.
He gave a walk-on a scholly??

Reaction Score
Who do you think should be there? Just curious...

Based on video (youtube and also instagram) I just don't see her being physically/athletically dominant in the footage I've seen, and skill-wise didn't really catch her doing anything that exceptional. I mean, you watch Azzi, Paige, or even Raven's AAU younger teammate Fulwiley and although, yes, it's only video, you can't help but think "WOW!" In video I've seen of Raven she doesn't seem to really separate herself as noticeably against the competition in the footage

Reaction Score
He has given every walk-on to ever play at UConn a scholly,
Don’t believe that is true. In any case he has not given Autumn Chaisson a scholly, not that it would have anything to do with Hollingshead or Fudd. He just needs a full practice roster THIS YEAR.

Reaction Score
Based on video (youtube and also instagram) I just don't see her being physically/athletically dominant in the footage I've seen, and skill-wise didn't really catch her doing anything that exceptional. I mean, you watch Azzi, Paige, or even Raven's AAU younger teammate Fulwiley and although, yes, it's only video, you can't help but think "WOW!" In video I've seen of Raven she doesn't seem to really separate herself as noticeably against the competition in the footage

Really? She’s the best player on one of the best circuit teams in the country and her high school team has been pretty dominant through her prep years. To each is own I guess, I’ve personally said Rivers should be where Raven is but I do think she’s one of the best at her position in the class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma DID NOT give a scholarship to Autumn. Autumn is a preferred walk on and has been given a roster spot and the chance to earn a scholarship.

Reaction Score
That's not true. Only 4 out of 8 walkons at UConn have received scholarships eventually. Chaisson is the 9th and she does not have one yet. And only one got it early in their career and that was Jacquie Fernandes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma DID NOT give a scholarship to Autumn. Autumn is a preferred walk on and has been given a roster spot and the chance to earn a scholarship.
More accurate to say Every UCONN walk on under Geno has earned a scholarship. UCONN WBB is not a charity it is a meritocracy=you get what you earn.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm suspicious of ESPN entire top 10 to be honest with you and that includes #1 (the player that should not be named). If Caroline and Raven can rise to # 2 and number #5 respectively based on recent played then surely that player at #1 should have dropped due to the injury and recent play.
I remember saying pretty much the same thing in our inbox conversation about Azzi. I also expressed shock at how Lattimore could drop so precipitously. For my two cents, other than Azzi, after watching Miles play I haven't seen any PG in that class come close to her level of play. Not close. As you've said as well, Caroline Ducharme seems a nice player, but in my mind, Saylor is far the better all around player, especially on the defensive end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom