2020 UConn Commit #3 - Jonathan Sénécal (Montreal Canada) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 UConn Commit #3 - Jonathan Sénécal (Montreal Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And I can give a rats behind about arm strength. We need a QB who can hit a receiver in stride and place the ball where it needs to be to let the receiver make a play. We haven’t had that in 15 years.

You can throw the ball 500 yards in the air but it don’t mean squat if you can’t read a defense or throw accurately.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You could have had the most knowledgeable QB guy in Canada (a coach for many years) say: "He's the best QB prospect from Canada in a long time." and you would piss on him.

Then. We all can be unimpressed because there is no Rivals, 247, HUDL or ESPN superlative nor stars.

If you take a QB in June, you are certainly impressed with him ... over many others. We might take 2 this year. However, the point is made: Edsall has done a thorough evaluation and is quite happy with the Commit. Including Arm Strength.

Was waiting for this exact post.

Reaction Score
And I can give a rats behind about arm strength. We need a QB who can hit a receiver in stride and place the ball where it needs to be to let the receiver make a play. We haven’t had that in 15 years.

You can throw the ball 500 yards in the air but it don’t mean squat if you can read a defense or throw accurately.
I think the arm strength concern is being totally overblown. He does use a lot of touch, but there are plenty throws in the videos where he slings it on a line downfield.

What I like most is that he hits guys in stride and keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling out of the pocket.

Reaction Score

You can throw the ball 500 yards in the air but it don’t mean squat if you can read a defense or throw accurately.
As a Raider fan, I know this all too well. See Jamarcus Russell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So is he a 2020 or late 2019? One video said enrollment fall 2019. If 2019 he will redshirt anyway. I’m not worried about arm strength nearly as much as decision making, accuracy and throwing accurately on the move. He will be 10-20 pounds heavier at some point soon anyway. I have little doubt we can beef up those shoulders.

Reaction Score
So is he a 2020 or late 2019? One video said enrollment fall 2019. If 2019 he will redshirt anyway.
And, 4 or sometimes 3 years of eligibility? For some Canadian prospects who complete a 13th grade, it’s 3 years. Somehow more knowledgeable of Canadian education may provide helpful insights...

Reaction Score
CEGEP in Quebec. There is an equivalent in Ontario. You commonly go HS for 11 years; then you go to a two year CEGEP that’s often College Prep (sometimes it’s where kids learn English intensively or French). Those 2 years also are where apprenticeship or vocational or Tech or Arts separate. O ... and some Programs have far better Sports. I’d not heard of College Andre-Grasset - but it’s near one of my clients twin office buildings on Cremazie. I don’t think there’s any fields. Vanier is the CEGEP that has been the longtime football power.

NFL? I worked 3 years in CBRE Montreal and ALL the young guys watched immense amount of NFL. All had jerseys and favorite teams. Some coached nights and the youth leagues were enormous. They rarely watched CFL.

The 13 years impacts eligibility. It doesn’t count as JuCo. But I thought Moe Petrus did not have 5 years for 4 years eligibility.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
CEGEP in Quebec. There is an equivalent in Ontario. You commonly go HS for 11 years; then you go to a two year CEGEP that’s often College Prep (sometimes it’s where kids learn English intensively or French). Those 2 years also are where apprenticeship or vocational or Tech or Arts separate. O ... and some Programs have far better Sports. I’d not heard of College Andre-Grasset - but it’s near one of my clients twin office buildings on Cremazie. I don’t think there’s any fields. Vanier is the CEGEP that has been the longtime football power.

NFL? I worked 3 years in CBRE Montreal and ALL the young guys watched immense amount of NFL. All had jerseys and favorite teams. Some coached nights and the youth leagues were enormous. They rarely watched CFL.

The 13 years impacts eligibility. It doesn’t count as JuCo. But I thought Moe Petrus did not have 5 years for 4 years eligibility.

So do we know if he is coming this year or next?

Reaction Score
I think the arm strength concern is being totally overblown. He does use a lot of touch, but there are plenty throws in the videos where he slings it on a line downfield.

What I like most is that he hits guys in stride and keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling out of the pocket.

I probably shouldn’t be, but I get annoyed when I hear the “he doesn’t have great arm strength” comment. For a college qb, that isn’t even close to the thing I am most concerned about.

Look at Chad Pennington. Guy could barely throw 30 yards, but he was smart, could dissect a defense, and throw with pinpoint accuracy. He was an unbelievable QB for Marshall.

Reaction Score
I probably shouldn’t be, but I get annoyed when I hear the “he doesn’t have great arm strength” comment. For a college qb, that isn’t even close to the thing I am most concerned about.

Look at Chad Pennington. Guy could barely throw 30 yards, but he was smart, could dissect a defense, and throw with pinpoint accuracy. He was an unbelievable QB for Marshall.

McKensie Milton was amazing. Leadership was clear. His ability to pick you apart. Yes. You can find lots of ways to be a solid college QB; you obviously need one solid guy to succeed.

I don’t know how Senecal will arrive. From the NCAA side ... he could enroll this summer. Lots of kids slide into McGill early without a full CEGEP coursework. And, you can take your coursework and enter American Universities without the full degree.

Reaction Score
If he can get here for Fall camp that would be great for us..

Reaction Score
Sénécal jouera à UConn

Jonathan Sénécal
"There are some teams that have spoken to each other, but UConn is the only school that has recruited me for real, a MVP in Division 1 in 2018. They have been serious in their approach and with them of interest . This was an important factor in my decision. In addition, the school is just 5 hours drive from home, which will allow my parents, family and friends to come see me play. "

"I could have waited until December at the time of the first signing period because I think I would have had other bids, but I wanted to be quick fix and be able to focus on my season," he said. he explains. I do not like to be courted. My goal was not to get lots of visits. For their part, UConn has committed not to recruit other quarterbacks of my year. "

Le plus bel espoir du football québécois choisit l'Université du Connecticut

"As soon as Jonathan announced his engagement with UConn on social networks, the Syracuse coach phoned me to share his surprise. Then, during this conversation, in the space of 30 seconds, I received calls from Glen Constantin (Laval) and Danny Maciocia (Montreal). After that, the phone never stopped ringing, "says Andre-Grasset's Phoenix head coach, Tony Iadeluca.

What is most surprising in Sénécal's decision is that he made a commitment to the first university he visited.

Sénécal says

"I fell in love with UConn, and I decided to go. My decision to opt for American college football is based on the fact that my chances of breaking into professional football will be higher. It was also an adventure I dreamed about. Football is a religion in the United States, and I wanted to live it from the inside."

"Yes, several other American universities had made contact with me, but I still felt a little reticence in their efforts. The coaches at the University of Connecticut are 100% committed. They really wanted me to be part of their program, and that was an important factor in my decision. I may not play in my first year there, but I think I'll play in my last two or three years. "

A few weeks ago, the UConn Huskies coach, Mike Moyseenko, went through Montreal to evaluate Sénécal. He walked away saying there were 10 quarterbacks on his recruiting list. He still had candidates to meet and he promised to give news a dozen days later.

"Exactly 10 days later, he recalled that Jonathan was their first choice and that the university invited him to pay an official visit on June 7, 8 and 9," says Tony Iadeluca.

"The people at UConn have worked hard to make Jonathan feel comfortable. Across the campus, people seemed to have heard of him. Jonathan is a rather shy young man, and I'm not sure that it tempted him to continue to participate in evaluation camps and to exchange text messages with a pack of coaches. In the end, before I left, I simply recommended that he make his own decision based on what he had seen and felt in this environment," says Tony Iadeluca,

Jonathan's teammate Kevin Mital could go to Uconn but currently Syracuse seems to be slightly ahead.

Reaction Score
Sénécal jouera à UConn

Jonathan Sénécal
"There are some teams that have spoken to each other, but UConn is the only school that has recruited me for real, a MVP in Division 1 in 2018. They have been serious in their approach and with them of interest . This was an important factor in my decision. In addition, the school is just 5 hours drive from home, which will allow my parents, family and friends to come see me play. "

"I could have waited until December at the time of the first signing period because I think I would have had other bids, but I wanted to be quick fix and be able to focus on my season," he said. he explains. I do not like to be courted. My goal was not to get lots of visits. For their part, UConn has committed not to recruit other quarterbacks of my year. "

"As soon as Jonathan announced his engagement with UConn on social networks, the Syracuse coach phoned me to share his surprise. Then, during this conversation, in the space of 30 seconds, I received calls from Glen Constantin (Laval) and Danny Maciocia (Montreal). After that, the phone never stopped ringing, "says Andre-Grasset's Phoenix head coach, Tony Iadeluca.

What is most surprising in Sénécal's decision is that he made a commitment to the first university he visited.

Sénécal says

"I fell in love with UConn, and I decided to go. My decision to opt for American college football is based on the fact that my chances of breaking into professional football will be higher. It was also an adventure I dreamed about. Football is a religion in the United States, and I wanted to live it from the inside."

"Yes, several other American universities had made contact with me, but I still felt a little reticence in their efforts. The coaches at the University of Connecticut are 100% committed. They really wanted me to be part of their program, and that was an important factor in my decision. I may not play in my first year there, but I think I'll play in my last two or three years. "

A few weeks ago, the UConn Huskies coach, Mike Moyseenko, went through Montreal to evaluate Sénécal. He walked away saying there were 10 quarterbacks on his recruiting list. He still had candidates to meet and he promised to give news a dozen days later.

"Exactly 10 days later, he recalled that Jonathan was their first choice and that the university invited him to pay an official visit on June 7, 8 and 9," says Tony Iadeluca.

"The people at UConn have worked hard to make Jonathan feel comfortable. Across the campus, people seemed to have heard of him. Jonathan is a rather shy young man, and I'm not sure that it tempted him to continue to participate in evaluation camps and to exchange text messages with a pack of coaches. In the end, before I left, I simply recommended that he make his own decision based on what he had seen and felt in this environment," says Tony Iadeluca,

Jonathan's teammate Kevin Mital could go to Uconn but currently Syracuse seems to be slightly ahead.

>>Jonathan Sénécal will play his last season with the Phoenix next fall. After graduating from college, he will enter UConn in January 2020. <<

Reaction Score
I may not play in my first year there, but I think I'll play in my last two or three years. " That answers the question that he will be eligible for 4 years. Is it strange for HCRE to commit to not recruiting any more QB's in the 2020 class?

Reaction Score
Sénécal jouera à UConn

Jonathan Sénécal

Sénécal says

Good stuff here.. Hopefully Jonathan can convince Mital that PLENTY of playing time is available for him to make his own mark in Storrs rather than Syracuse as well..

Reaction Score
GOOGLE TRANSLATE that article's first lines:

"Identified by many as the best quarterback in the college ranks for 20 years, Jonathan Sénécal made a commitment on Tuesday with the UConn Huskies."

by college ... he means CEGEP. In Canada terms, UCONN is a University.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I may not play in my first year there, but I think I'll play in my last two or three years. " That answers the question that he will be eligible for 4 years. Is it strange for HCRE to commit to not recruiting any more QB's in the 2020 class?

That's strange, but with one RSF and two transfers on the roster now, I think he can safely wait until 2021 unless we see another transfer out. The timing of when this happened seems to line up with us getting the NC State QB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We needed a McKenzie Milton type player to fall our way. Nothing changes a program faster than elevated QB play.

Interesting that we pledged not to recruit a second QB. Ordinarily I would advise never-ever make such a pledge, but I suppose when you have a chance at a player that is truly a step up and that player strongly demonstrates commitment back to you, you make an exception.

This is getting exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69