2020 Recruiting Thread | Page 33 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Well, there's been a piece of news or 2 over the last few days, so to our true heroes (Medic and Exit 4) have we now accounted for all of the bat signals that were lit up over the weekend. Admittedly I am confused - what conf are we in, for how long, who's on the team, who's coming, can I be both a BB an a FB fan????).

I still have (1) 2020 unaccounted for...

Reaction Score

Would be a nice get

Reaction Score
I saw that coming. Kids today want to show everyone how big they can go. Instead of going to the right school. Good luck to him.
Have to imagine the recent goings-on didn't help. Right school sure, but a program in conference limbo is bound to scare some kids off

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guys, Conference limbo or not, this football program was at yet another major "prove" it cross roads this September. Edsall and his team need to look better in September and certainly needs to look better by November. That's key, perhaps more so that our conference affiliation. Otherwise its another possible reset this winter.

As it stands now we mostly compete against the G5 for recruits. Yes, we land some kids that probably have the last seat to a P5 program, but the vast majority of our recruits are really G5 kids. That really wont change much going forward as an independent as long as our coaching and facilities are up to par.

Reaction Score
Far too binary a perspective

First. I don’t think we are all that far different early Edsall years. Opportunistic recruitment through better evaluation and relationships.

The opportunities changes over time - but they still exist.

The 16-18 year old is developing in far different and contrasting ways. We still find OLine and DLine kids who really are not finished products. Therefore, we often are one of the only Programs in the East that hold back and watch Senior film of games on these positions. DBs are quite different.

Saying we are G5 at QB ignores quite a bit. No. We won’t get top 10 nor top 20 kids - and many of these do produce at the college level. But many kids are left out when the Musical Chairs get pulled ... that’s why Studs come from Eastern Illinois & North Dakota State and Fresno

College Football can be entirely Development of raw to top level.

The Strength of this HCRE program: 20 +/- kids that play CB or S or nickel or dime or Star LB. They looked like crap last year. But they can run & many show they have the physicality to stick & the schemes come with confidence. That’s why Perkins & Spanos arrival is key.

The OLine is the best since 2010. It just is. And it’s taken a lot of work.

Those 2 are the base of a Program that can improve.

G5? I’m in real estate. Top big earning appraisers send me evaluations. Always always ... there are anomalies in Asset Valuations. Stocks too. Because information is not widely known. Not Perfect. That’s where we are in This Football Industry. Finding that talent. Fortunately NY & NE ... and Canada too ... has a huge demographic that’s poorly known.

If we went P5 in 2011 ... whatever Head Coach we hired, I don’t think we’d be vastly different in Recruiting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Far too binary a perspective

You've missed the boat again. We recruit at a G5 level of talent. That's really indisputable. Our freshman are not the same as the freshman in the P5. Our freshman are much more akin to fellow G5 programs.

We dont win too many recruiting battles against the P5 (and stop telling me we dont want to win those recruiting battles because look at Randy's offer list, 80% of the kids we lose out on go to P5 schools).

So we largely recruit G5 on the front end (based on the talent level is of the kid in HS or as a freshman at UConn) and then we develop them into P5 level talents by year 5. That's our system, that's our reality. The situation wont change anytime soon and certainly wont be different as an independent.

Recruiting classes as an Independent football program will look no different than our current program.

Reaction Score
You've missed the boat again. We recruit at a G5 level of talent. That's really indisputable. Our freshman are not the same as the freshman in the P5. Our freshman are much more akin to fellow G5 programs.

We dont win too many recruiting battles against the P5 (and stop telling me we dont want to win those recruiting battles because look at Randy's offer list, 80% of the kids we lose out on go to P5 schools).

So we largely recruit G5 on the front end (based on the talent level is of the kid in HS or as a freshman at UConn) and then we develop them into P5 level talents by year 5. That's our system, that's our reality. The situation wont change anytime soon and certainly wont be different as an independent.

Recruiting classes as an Independent football program will look no different than our current program.
Redshirting was one of the areas where PP and Diaco failed miserably. They were far too comfortable burning redshirts and expecting immediate contributions rather than looking for higher rewards down the line.

Reaction Score
Redshirting was one of the areas where PP and Diaco failed miserably. They were far too comfortable burning redshirts and expecting immediate contributions rather than looking for higher rewards down the line.
Biggest travesty was the burning of Boyles redshirt though that may have been Weist.

Reaction Score
I would expect UConn's Texas well to run dry as there is no longer the trips to SMU, Houston, Tulsa and New Orleans.
What is premature speculation for $1,000? As if AAC programs are the only schools in the Lone Star State or the neighboring Bayou State ...

Reaction Score
London, Ontario is halfway to Windsor/Detroit from Toronto. Buffalo or the Ohio schools make sense for family and location.

Buffalo has come a real long way in the last 15 years. The school is a damn strong academic SUNY University and the emphasis on Athletic Department is notable. Plus they have a UB 2030 Plan that's amazingly ambitious.

Reaction Score
Had lunch with a Montreal friend who has been involved in coaching football there on the Island since 2005.

The talent coming from there is going to be increasing and far better quality. They really had virtually not much going on 15 years ago. But … now Big kids and fast kids are identified, and they send them to Sports Academies on the Island that are largely sport training with school thrown in. Kids are yanked out of fairly desperate neighborhoods into spanky new facilities. The numbers of both these types of institutions and number of kids is growing. The only moment that gives you pause … the US coaches/agents are scouting around to send these kids to Preps or Florida sports training (with some of the Preps in NE).

Reaction Score
Good to see.. I'm taking a flyer on this one... My guess is Wale Familoni (great football name btw) DE/OLB out of CA...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom