2020 Recruiting: Marcus Santos-Silva | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Marcus Santos-Silva

Reaction Score

Not a lot of film on him. Found this from one game.

VCU Basketball on Twitter

Stats vs Kenpom top 50

LSU: 17/11/1 2 TO 4 STL 2 BLK. 8/13 FG 1/2 FT
Purdue: 19/2/0 4 TO 2 STL 0 BLK 8/10 FG 3/8 FT
Tenn: 22/11/0 0 TO 2 STL 1 BLK 8/12 FG 6/8 FT
Wichita: 7/7/1 1 TO 1 STL 0 BLK 3/6 FG 1/2 FT
Dayton: 12/9/0 2 TO 1 STL 2 BLK 6/9 FG 0/4 FT
Rchmnd: 14/8/1 2 TO 0 STL 2 BLK 6/13 FG 2/3 FT
Rchmnd: 14/12/2 3 TO 3 STL 0 BLK 6/11 FG 2/3 FT
Dayton: 12/17/0 2 TO 0 STL 1 BLK 5/9 FG 2/4 FT

Average: 14.6/9.6/0.6 2 TO 1.6 STL 1 BLK 60FG% 50% FT

Definitely a really good player. Would make us better. Size and athleticism is there judging by the short videos. If anyone has seen him before... How much of a 4 is he? I would be foolish to turn down talent if he's interested, but I'm not sure this solves our immediate problem.

He had 14 rebounds in the Rhode Island/VCU YouTube game I watched to scout Martin. Top 80 in both rebound rates. Makes him one of the best rebounders in the country.

Seemed like a 5 to me in how they used him. It was post entries, penetration dump offs, and attacking glass.

I know it's VCU and that is their style, but he had the same steal rate as Alterique, so he could probably guard 4s.

Reaction Score
What’s his eligibility situation? Sit one, play one?

Reaction Score
Has the shine started to come off Calipari from the kids perspectives? Also wonder how much this G-league thing would hurt his program

Never mind - just saw he has the top class right now per 247 LOL.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While you may be stretching it (not the floor) I believe Whaley will be making a nice percentage of 10-15 footers which will help open things up a bit. His stroke improved tremendously and I am sure he is working on it even more as we speak. Not saying 60% or anything but even at that distance for him the 40 area would help the team out, think he can make that happen.

That is all you need from a 4. Akok hurt us all year on offense because he spent way too much time on the perimeter. It's a rare skill to have a big man that can really be a consistent scorer out there. But you need your 4 to be able to score inside and pop midrange J's.

pj

Reaction Score
That is all you need from a 4. Akok hurt us all year on offense because he spent way too much time on the perimeter. It's a rare skill to have a big man that can really be a consistent scorer out there. But you need your 4 to be able to score inside and pop midrange J's.

If you can hit a high percentage from 10-15 feet you can hit a high percentage from 3. He just needs to work on it and win the confidence of the coaches. I think it is tough for big men because their first priority is defense and rebounding, it is tiring pushing on the other bigs, and in games when tired the 3 pt shooting tends to go. The coach may recognize you are a good practice shooter but not believe it is worth doing in a game.

Reaction Score
If you can hit a high percentage from 10-15 feet you can hit a high percentage from 3. He just needs to work on it and win the confidence of the coaches. I think it is tough for big men because their first priority is defense and rebounding, it is tiring pushing on the other bigs, and in games when tired the 3 pt shooting tends to go. The coach may recognize you are a good practice shooter but not believe it is worth doing in a game.

I don’t think hitting a high percentage from 10-15 translates to hitting a high percentage from 3 for everybody. It doesn’t seem that easy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This comment brought to you from 1997

It will change back. At the moment, any big man with actual high level inside scoring ability can dominate a game. Many college teams don't even have one such player. They get their points inside from guard penetration. I am fine with a team being able to play that way as we did late last year. We also got manhandled by the few bigs we faced who could score inside.

Ultimately, I want a roster that can play either way, and defend teams with an actual inside game. Pat Ewing would score 40 a game right now. I'm not interesting in bringing in a PF that is really just a guard or small forward playing PF. That is pointless. We can use Adams that way if we need to. I want to add to our skill set with some power basketball.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Looks almost ambidextrous. Power game in the paint where he can rebound as well. Wow. He's ready to go.

Reaction Score
It will change back. At the moment, any big man with actual high level inside scoring ability can dominate a game. Many college teams don't even have one such player. They get their points inside from guard penetration. I am fine with a team being able to play that way as we did late last year. We also got manhandled by the few bigs we faced who could score inside.

Ultimately, I want a roster that can play either way, and defend teams with an actual inside game. Pat Ewing would score 40 a game right now. I'm not interesting in bringing in a PF that is really just a guard or small forward playing PF. That is pointless. We can use Adams that way if we need to. I want to add to our skill set with some power basketball.
Our last 2020 recruit could have a major influence on DH's offensive/defensive flexibility.. Villanova has been doing a pretty good job in recent years of winning without a dominate big man..Floor spacing and three point shooting..Our team speed is going to be off the charts at SG/SF..esp if Martin can play.. Get a Big who can outlet to RJ/Gaff.. Off to the races.. I think our team speed will be a major asset vs BE teams..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Our last 2020 recruit could have a major influence on DH's offensive/defensive flexibility.. Villanova has been doing a pretty good job in recent years of winning without a dominate big man..Floor spacing and three point shooting..Our team speed is going to be off the charts at SG/SF..esp if Martin can play.. Get a Big who can outlet to RJ/Gaff.. Off to the races.. I think our team speed will be a major asset vs BE teams..

Agree. And in order to run, you need the other team to miss shots, and you need to rebound those shots. It's one reason why I don't like Hurley's propensity to send his 5 chasing all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing Springs really show that rebounding prowess and ignite our running game.

Reaction Score
Agree. And in order to run, you need the other team to miss shots, and you need to rebound those shots. It's one reason why I don't like Hurley's propensity to send his 5 chasing all the time. I'm looking forward to seeing Springs really show that rebounding prowess and ignite our running game.
I agree with you on Richie.. He's going to surprise a lot of folks.. He actually has great speed/footwork for a Big..Will be able to beat other Bigs down the floor when he's on the court..

pj

Reaction Score
I don’t think hitting a high percentage from 10-15 translates to hitting a high percentage from 3 for everybody. It doesn’t seem that easy.

Free throw shooting percentage (14 feet) is highly correlated with 3 point shooting percentage (22 feet). Good at one, good at the other, as a rule.

Reaction Score
Free throw shooting percentage (14 feet) is highly correlated with 3 point shooting percentage (22 feet). Good at one, good at the other, as a rule.
Maybe DH should introduce our "Young Bucks" to the Steve Nash FT drill.. Worked pretty good during our Tournament Run in 2014..

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Floor spacing and defensive versatility are more important. It's an objective truth at this point.

Reaction Score
Floor spacing and defensive versatility are more important. It's an objective truth at this point.

I can't think of a single NCAA team that is rolling out a PF that hasn't shot a 3 at this point.

The idea that the game will swing back to an old school style of play isn't realistic. I don't know why people say that. Has basketball ever swung back to the old days? Seems to me that from the late 70s(ish) onward, the importance of the jumpshot has increased over and over again without looking back at all.

The epitome of the style is the Rockets. And they are awful to watch. I'd think going forward teams will try to look like the celtics/lakers/bucks more than anything.

C

Chief00

I can't think of a single NCAA team that is rolling out a PF that hasn't shot a 3 at this point.

The idea that the game will swing back to an old school style of play isn't realistic. I don't know why people say that. Has basketball ever swung back to the old days? Seems to me that from the late 70s(ish) onward, the importance of the jumpshot has increased over and over again without looking back at all.

The epitome of the style is the Rockets. And they are awful to watch. I'd think going forward teams will try to look like the celtics/lakers/bucks more than anything.
I agree on the importance of a jump shot, but a good rebounding team allows you to run (if the team has a running mindset) and that leads to layups and open 3’s in the flow of the game.

Reaction Score

Wow, Chris Beard does a great job with the transfer market. There will be some monster matchups between Santos-Silva and Joel Ntambwe. Going into the season, their 5 spot was a question mark, but now it's a strength.

For those casual college basketball fans, watch Texas Tech games, especially if they are at home. Lots of fun to watch. One of the most intense defensive teams in recent memory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Wow, Chris Beard does a great job with the transfer market. There will be some monster matchups between Santos-Silva and Joel Ntambwe. Going into the season, their 5 spot was a question mark, but now it's a strength.

For those casual college basketball fans, watch Texas Tech games, especially if they are at home. Lots of fun to watch.

I love Chris Beard, after Hurley and Jay Wright he's my favorite coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom