2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Cause that's not the whole decision making. Sometimes you can sway them from going that route if they/ their families have deep rooted core values. It's a risk/reward thing the coaching staff weighs and if they believe they have a legitimate chance despite what they are up against they go for it

I just couldn't see the staff cancelling Cam's visit unless he flat out told them they need to pay him or he's not committing.

Reaction Score
Might be a stupid question but why would a kid choose a school that isn’t paying them if they know someone out there will?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Yeah, I hate the BS. If you know something say it but if you don't then STHU.

Said with love, of course...

I get it. But I’m not putting it in writing on a public forum, sorry. So I’ll shut up. I’m really just not a fan of the “poor us, everyone else cheats and takes our players” routine.

Reaction Score
I get it. But I’m not putting it in writing on a public forum, sorry. So I’ll shut up. I’m really just not a fan of the “poor us, everyone else cheats and takes our players” routine.
You're all over the place in this thread. You say we're shady then say you never contended we are like any of those schools that hand out bags and you don't suspect we are like them. Now you're saying it's some silly routine when posters say we can't compete with the Auburn's and L$U's of the world when it comes to the cash game.

Reaction Score
You're all over the place in this thread. You say we're shady then say you never contended we are like any of those schools that hand out bags and you don't suspect we are like them. Now you're saying it's some silly routine when posters say we can't compete with the Auburn's and L$U's of the world when it comes to the cash game.
If we cheat to the extent of those programs, we are really bad at it. I mean who on this roster in previous years would even be a pay to play type player?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don’t know about today. If you do, you know more than me. I do know what I’ve been told by people with direct access to players in prior years. We weren’t angels.

Better hope our recruits love the Dairy Bar.

I’m telling you out of the mouth of coaches and people around the team, we don’t have the infrastructure to pay players. That doesn’t mean we didn’t fudge grades, get people in who had no business being at UConn. But actually buy players homes, envelopes of cash, getting people jobs, cars etc. we don’t have anything in place for that.

Reaction Score
Some kids and their families don't like being involved in dirt.

Very true. Thomas is from, what I'm told is a good family, I think a military family, but his mother is very very involved and even had Cam sit out his sophomore season of highschool without an inury and just train and workout to get ready for the aau season, which could be seen as a red flag.

Reaction Score
I’m telling you out of the mouth of coaches and people around the team, we don’t have the infrastructure to pay players. That doesn’t mean we didn’t fudge grades, get people in who had no business being at UConn. But actually buy players homes, envelopes of cash, getting people jobs, cars etc. we don’t have anything in place for that.
Every school gets in players who have no business being at the school, even the Harvard's and Yale's of the world but we were too rigid and or stupid to fudge grades. We are the only big time basketball school I'm aware of who was severely penalized for having kids get bad grades.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Every school gets in players who have no buainess being at the school, even the Harvard's and Yale's of the world but we were too rigid and or stupid to fudge grades. We are the only big time basketball school I'm aware of who was severely penalized for having kids get bad grades.

A lot of the public is naive. If everything that went on in college athletics went public people would lose their minds. UConn fortunately or unfortunately (however you look at it) doesn't play in the mud like other schools

MattMang23

Reaction Score

We admit men’s basketball players that wouldn’t get into UConn except for their “special talent.” That is absolutely true.

And so does almost every other school.

polycom

Reaction Score
We admit men’s basketball players that wouldn’t get into UConn except for their “special talent.” That is absolutely true.

And so does almost every other school.

why do you keep quoting me to agree with me ? Are you trolling me?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
why do you keep quoting me to agree with me ? Are you trolling me?

I’ve agreed with you once. I was also unaware that there was a rule in place barring individuals from quoting another if the response was going to be an agreement rather than an adversarial response. Thanks for introducing me to that.

I’ll make a mental note that, although you post on a public message board, you would not like to be interacted with. Have a nice day.

polycom

Reaction Score
I’ve agreed with you once. I was also unaware that there was a rule in place barring individuals from quoting another if the response was going to be an agreement rather than an adversarial response. Thanks for introducing me to that.

I’ll make a mental note that, although you post on a public message board, you would not like to be interacted with. Have a nice day.

good do that.

Reaction Score
Every school gets in players who have no business being at the school, even the Harvard's and Yale's of the world but we were too rigid and or stupid to fudge grades. We are the only big time basketball school I'm aware of who was severely penalized for having kids get bad grades.

We are the only major school to get hit with the APR standard. The following is from memory from 6 or 7 years ago but I think it's correct.

Back when the APR suspension happened I went to the website (somewhere on NCAA site I think it was) where they showed each year's scores for schools, plus the four year average upon which they were able to penalize us. Remember, if they counted the then current year we would have met the standard but the NCAA said they couldn't count the current year because not all the schools had yet reported.........some were on quarters, etc. That made no sense, but they didn't want us to qualify.

In fact, it looked as if the NCAA waited until we were the only major school not meeting the standard and then hit us. That year there were other schools (like an Alcorn St. or something but I can't recall) that didn't meet the standard but they were all low profile schools.

However, when I looked back several years, Indiana failed to meet the standard for maybe three straight years, Syracuse failed one or more years, as did Arkansas. There may have been others but I saw enough at that point and didn't search further.

The rule had been in effect for years but never implemented. Calhoun fought them on Nate Miles related penalties and ridiculed them about the dumb rules they were using to penalize us then, so they waited until they could hit us with a suspension on the APR rule.

Reaction Score
Then why are we talking to Jonathan Kuminga? Why did we waste our time with Cliff and Kofi? And he suddenly is interested only in going to a school that pays him? How did we get this far in the recruitment without being made aware?

The whole "he is only going to a school that pays him" excuse is complete BS! It is just an excuse some posters use to feel better about losing a recruiting battle. Do some kids chase the bag? Yes, absolutely, but it happens nowhere near as often as some think.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The whole "he is only going to a school that pays him" excuse is complete BS! It is just an excuse some posters use to feel better about losing a recruiting battle. Do some kids chase the bag? Yes, absolutely, but it happens nowhere near as often as some think.

It's one of the biggest factors in recruiting. And that's from plenty of boots on the ground types. Whenever you see a monster class go somewhere, that's a big part of the reason. When a kid commits out of the blue, quite often the reason. When certain schools grab big recruits, that's the reason. Certain coaches....etc

No, it's not every kid, especially the further you get away from the top 50. But if you can't recognize and accept that, it's tough to follow college basketball.

And this isn't a criticism of kids. I'd be looking for the bag too. Gotta get paid.

polycom

Reaction Score
This is a stupid post. Stop posting about things you know nothing about. Go back to thinking UConn should be winning recruiting battles v. LSU. Just keep it off the yard we are trying to discuss actual recruiting here not your fantasies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom