2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
S

seems like ur hammering a guy for just putting his thoughts and what he’s heard out there. Why the hostility?
My 'contribution' to the "hardo" thread referenced getting testy when people add too much attitude to something where their reach exceeds their grasp. Being aspirational is one thing; projecting seemingly unwarranted confidence, offering no backup, and appearing to want to be influential is another.

That said, thanks for reminding me that I may go too far as well.

Reaction Score
Cole
Bouknight
Jackson
Akok
Carlton

A year from now sounds like restless nights for opposing coaches.

We have two freshman who haven't proven themselves and a HS senior on this list but it's supposed to scare other BE schools? God I hope you end up right but Jackson isn't even a shooter in HS right now never mind against college competition as a Freshman.

We win games 20-21 with our transition and defense not with our half court shooting. If we get in half court shooting match ups consistently we won't be dancing. That team in transition is SCARY with the length and athletic ability of Jackson, Akok, and Sid. let cole get to the corner and get the ball to carlton in the halfcourt early in the shot clock.

Reaction Score
We have two freshman who haven't proven themselves and a HS senior on this list but it's supposed to scare other BE schools? God I hope you end up right but Jackson isn't even a shooter in HS right now never mind against college competition as a Freshman.

We win games 20-21 with our transition and defense not with our half court shooting. If we get in half court shooting match ups consistently we won't be dancing. That team in transition is SCARY with the length and athletic ability of Jackson, Akok, and Sid. let cole get to the corner and get the ball to carlton in the halfcourt early in the shot clock.
What happens when a team that matches our athleticism and intensity slows the game down and makes us play in the half court

Reaction Score
What happens when a team that matches our athleticism and intensity slows the game down and makes us play in the half court

Soooooo safe to assume you didn't read this whole thread and are assuming I'm knocking our talent not the fact that we are making gigantic leaps that in 20-21 we will be feared for our SHOOTING? More specifically that of the 5 players listed in the post I quoted? Of whom only 2 are known as shooters and only 1 has ever made a jump shot in a college basketball game. We will be talented and like any team when forced to play half court will do exactly that. I would even argue that we will be fair at that but our shooting is not likely to keep the opposition up at night. Our athleticism will be tough to match FYI

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What if he’s doing the Reverse Cardwell and, instead of not being on campus when everyone thinks he is, he publicly cancels and then is secretly on campus when everyone thinks he isn’t????? ;)

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed, I would assume there are some guys/families that do not want any part of bag men. Those are our guys.

I think the 5* one-and-dones don't see much downside to taking cash. The NBA doesn't care and the government doesn't prosecute. The NCAA takes years to act. So even if you are discovered, if you go pro before the NCAA can take away your eligibility, you are off scot-free. Only the bag man is taking a risk.

The lower-ranked players have a different calculus, the bag men have less money for them, meanwhile they might need 4 years in college so the NCAA might have time to catch up with them.

It's hard to compete with Duke and Kentucky for 5* players unless you match their cash. But you can build a great program with #40 to #150 recruits. It seems like that's where we are at, at present.

Reaction Score
Someone close to the program told me that UConn initiated the cancelation of Cam’s visit. This person has provided good info before on our players and coaches but not recruits so this could be wrong. Seems unlikely but has anyone heard the same?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Someone close to the program told me that UConn initiated the cancelation of Cam’s visit. This person has provided good info before on our players and coaches but not recruits so this could be wrong. Seems unlikely but has anyone heard the same?

I'm not at all saying you have bad info, but that would really surprise me. If it is true, then I'd love to know the details behind that decision.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm not at all saying you have bad info, but that would really surprise me. If it is true, then I'd love to know the details behind that decision.

why would that surprise you? He is looking at schools that give the bag we don’t do that so we cancelled. Coaches aren’t going to ever admit to that but it makes sense that’s what happened. Moving on.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
why would that surprise you? He is looking at schools that give the bag we don’t do that so we cancelled. Coaches aren’t going to ever admit to that but it makes sense that’s what happened. Moving on.

Then why are we talking to Jonathan Kuminga? Why did we waste our time with Cliff and Kofi? And he suddenly is interested only in going to a school that pays him? How did we get this far in the recruitment without being made aware?

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Okay. I don’t know what I’m talking about.

You don’t think we take liberties with recruiting rules, too?

I don’t have any knowledge about what we do today, but if you don’t think we’ve been shady before...

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

I know, we don’t have the infrastructure to pay players in any capacity.

Reaction Score
Then why are we talking to Jonathan Kuminga? Why did we waste our time with Cliff and Kofi? And he suddenly is interested only in going to a school that pays him? How did we get this far in the recruitment without being made aware?

Cause that's not the whole decision making. Sometimes you can sway them from going that route if they/ their families have deep rooted core values. It's a risk/reward thing the coaching staff weighs and if they believe they have a legitimate chance despite what they are up against they go for it

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I know, we don’t have the infrastructure to pay players in any capacity.

I don’t know about today. If you do, you know more than me. I do know what I’ve been told by people with direct access to players in prior years. We weren’t angels.

Better hope our recruits love the Dairy Bar.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I think that if kids are getting cash from a place like LSU still even as an investigation is going on either they are incredibly stupid people down there or the culture created has completely gone all-in on flaunting the rules. NCAA organization is losing control by the day and we are going to see a split from that governing body in the next 10 years of the P5 schools with or without sanctions of these schools.

Also, kids can choose schools without money being involved.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I’m just another dude on this board
Unless Cam can cancelled his visit because he already decided to come here and is going to be announcing that this weekend. Then, my friend, you are a BY legend.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
We're nothing like LSU, Duke, Auburn, Kentucky, Zona, Kansas etc.

I’ve never contended we are. I don’t expect that we are. It’s all relative.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I don’t have any knowledge about what we do today, but if you don’t think we’ve been shady before...
Yeah, I hate the BS. If you know something say it but if you don't then STHU.

Said with love, of course...

Reaction Score
Unless Cam can cancelled his visit because he already decided to come here and is going to be announcing that this weekend. Then, my friend, you are a BY legend.
What’s funny is, all I ever “reported” was that we were still being considered. Ppl took the and ran with it

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think that if kids are getting cash from a place like LSU still even as an investigation is going on either they are incredibly stupid people down there or the culture created has completely gone all-in on flaunting the rules. NCAA organization is losing control by the day and we are going to see a split from that governing body in the next 10 years of the P5 schools with or without sanctions of these schools.

Also, kids can choose schools without money being involved.
My understanding is that the way it works most of the time is that wealthy boosters and alumni are getting in contact with the kids parents/guardians offering them jobs, places to stay, offering to cover some living expenses, etc. outside of the purview of the schools themselves. The schools probably know but turn a blind eye, have plausible deniability. So in this sense yes people are still being paid to have their kid go somewhere regardless of the investigations into the schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom