2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Cam Thomas Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No. Other schools got involved and muddy water. Heard staff is making another hard push to make up ground. Might come back in play, but at this moment outside looking in.
Not what I wanted to read

Reaction Score
We're fine.

You don't need studs in every class.

Gaffney, Bouknight, Cole, Akok are going to need time, and they will man the fort until a new group of studs comes in.
If the goal is to be a mediocre basketball team who fades into the abyss, sure

Reaction Score
Yeah, IIRC this was supposed to be THE class
We seemed to be in a really good/great position with our main targets and have faded for whatever reasons. Now it seems that the class may ride on getting Cam and our competition is all of a sudden a couple of the dirtiest programs in the country. Our staff hit on their first three targets last year but then missed on all our big man targets. If we somehow miss on all our targets this year after getting news we're back in the Big East, it's troubling.

Missing on a whole class puts you in a really big hole that can't be covered up. Let's all hope this class figures itself out.

Reaction Score
Yeah, IIRC this was supposed to be THE class

Right, giving Hurley a full year of lead time PLUS the Big East thing....the expectation was that this class should be better than the 2020 class. We only only 2-3 openings; not a huge class, but we need to hit on at least 1 top 100 guy and then maybe a top 200 with high potential. That should be the low end expectation here.

I don't really know who to feel good about right now. Ideally, we get one of Thomas/Jackson/Richmond and one of Cardwell/Cliff/Brown-Ferguson....and then wait to the spring on the 3rd guy if we need it. But I don't feel good about any of these 6 right now...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have to wonder if DH's back issue and surgery inhibited our efforts a bit. Nothing we could do about that and if that's the case, I have to believe we'll get better news with him back out there.

#thegrind

Reaction Score
We seemed to be in a really good/great position with our main targets and have faded for whatever reasons. Now it seems that the class may ride on getting Cam and our competition is all of a sudden a couple of the dirtiest programs in the country. Our staff hit on their first three targets last year but then missed on all our big man targets. If we somehow miss on all our targets this year after getting news we're back in the Big East, it's troubling.

Missing on a whole class puts you in a really big hole that can't be covered up. Let's all hope this class figures itself out.
At the very least to start off we need to get one of Richmond/Jackson, and since Zionn ‘Next’d’ Richmond, that’s not looking good. Just like you you said, first class coming into the Big East looking like this is troubling.

pj

Reaction Score
One scoring perimeter guy and one big is a good class for us. Cliff or Cardwell or Javonte Brown would all be a great big. Gotta hope for Cam, Richmond, Jackson, or a player to be named later on the guard/wing.

It may be that after a brief dry spell in payouts after the FBI investigation, money is back in college recruiting, and if so that doesn't bode well for the good guys. But if things are on the up and up, I think we'll pull out a good class.

Reaction Score
Worried we're headed down a path where we get in all these guys top 5's but don't finish. Happened so much under KO. Still a lot of time but I'm not overly confident about landing any one recruit at the moment

The average program at this will get exactly one out of five players for which they are in the top 5. Just saying.

Reaction Score
Somehow these kids have to be informed of what LSU and Auburn might be facing (I know, fat chance) if the NCAA actually does their job.
The head coach had to know Auburn's assistant was involved in payola and Tremont Waters didn't leave LSU early to get picked in the second round.

pj

Reaction Score
The average program at this will get exactly one out of five players for which they are in the top 5. Just saying.

According to this Internet site, Binomial Probability Calculator , if you are going after 5 players with a 20% chance of getting each, your probability of getting zero is 32.768%.

Your probability of getting 1 is 40.96%. Probability of getting 2 is 20.48%. Probability of getting 3 is 5.1%.

I predict a 32.768% chance of panic on the Boneyard, a 40.96% chance of disappointment and grousing, a 20.48% chance of guarded optimism, and a 5.1% chance of rejoicing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This might be a bit outlandish of a question but would any assistant get fired bc of a bad class like this?

Still quite not understanding for the amount these guys are out there grinding that every route they have chosen is looking like a bad one.

Reaction Score
This might be a bit outlandish of a question but would any assistant get fired bc of a bad class like this?

Still quite not understanding for the amount these guys are out there grinding that every route they have chosen is looking like a bad one.

I posted this awhile back, but no one on this staff has ever brought top 50 talent to their previous teams except for Tom Moore and that was when he was at UConn the first time. If Hurley can't pull in a single top 100 kid in this class, that would be a red flag.

Reaction Score

Do you fire an assistant coach not because you don't think he can do the job, but because one year you didn't get the class you think you should have? Man, I hope that was rhetorical or facetious.

Reaction Score
Do you fire an assistant coach not because you don't think he can do the job, but because one year you didn't get the class you think you should have? Man, I hope that was rhetorical or facetious.
This is sports. The only thing that proves who can do the job are results. So yes, if they do whiff on one of our most important classes in this coaching tenure, it's a giant red flag. Who cares what someone's perception of another's ability to do the job is if the results aren't there?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ok @bendm. Now you can present your fears and concerns. Hope is turning into fear.

Reaction Score

A bad class like what? If we get 0 of Jackson/Thomas/Richmond Cliff/Cardwell/Ferguson and can't find any transfers or recruits of equivalent skill? Yeah, somebody's getting fired. The chances at that happening pretty small though.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
According to this Internet site, Binomial Probability Calculator , if you are going after 5 players with a 20% chance of getting each, your probability of getting zero is 32.768%.

Your probability of getting 1 is 40.96%. Probability of getting 2 is 20.48%. Probability of getting 3 is 5.1%.

I predict a 32.768% chance of panic on the Boneyard, a 40.96% chance of disappointment and grousing, a 20.48% chance of guarded optimism, and a 5.1% of rejoicing.
Too low on the panic percentage.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Somehow these kids have to be informed of what LSU and Auburn might be facing (I know, fat chance) if the NCAA actually does their job.
The head coach had to know Auburn's assistant was involved in payola and Tremont Waters didn't leave LSU early to get picked in the second round.

There are no consequences in the NCAA payola program. Not now and likely not ever again for the P5. It's a checkers and chess thing when it comes to SEC money and non/low paying institutions. Kids are getting the message through their friends, coaches, and AAU network that "everyone's doing it!" and are jumping on board. And I don't blame them. It sucks but the playing field is now forever tilted.

Reaction Score

We went to visit Josh Gray at PSA last night. If we can't even close on Cardwell, there's no way you can chalk this class up as anything but an L on paper. Hurley's done a lot with a little in terms of talent his whole career, but this class is going to be a downgrade from 2019's, and that wasn't the intent.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We're fine.

You don't need studs in every class.

Gaffney, Bouknight, Cole, Akok are going to need time, and they will man the fort until a new group of studs comes in.
I think you might well be right. How much playing time will they get right away with that class in front of them.

Reaction Score
Right, giving Hurley a full year of lead time PLUS the Big East thing....the expectation was that this class should be better than the 2020 class. We only only 2-3 openings; not a huge class, but we need to hit on at least 1 top 100 guy and then maybe a top 200 with high potential. That should be the low end expectation here.

I don't really know who to feel good about right now. Ideally, we get one of Thomas/Jackson/Richmond and one of Cardwell/Cliff/Brown-Ferguson....and then wait to the spring on the 3rd guy if we need it. But I don't feel good about any of these 6 right now...
Hit on at least one top 100 and then maybe a top 200? My goodness the bar has been lowered.

Reaction Score
We went to visit Josh Gray at PSA last night. If we can't even close on Cardwell, there's no way you can chalk this class up as anything but an L on paper. Hurley's done a lot with a little in terms of talent his whole career, but this class is going to be a downgrade from 2019's, and that wasn't the intent.
Gray is ranked higher than cardwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer