2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5

Reaction Score
You know who else said she cried when she got a letter from UCONN?

My facial recognition software doesn't help. Do you think you could identify this player? I sat through the 1st 10 minutes and the 'music' was too much.
Is it possible for posters to identify players instead of just posting a tweet where she is identified by a twitter name or not named at all?

Reaction Score
My facial recognition software doesn't help. Do you think you could identify this player? I sat through the 1st 10 minutes and the 'music' was too much.
Is it possible for posters to identify players instead of just posting a tweet where she is identified by a twitter name or not named at all?
Amari DeBerry. It's in there

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Totally agree but I think I found a hint.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Amari DeBerry
amari-deberry

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I refuse to get my hopes up until an actual big signs on the dotted line.....

..................and the ink is dry. Due to the recent lugubrious experiences UConn has had with BIGS, I can't blame you. That said, I continue to "hope." When you lose or don't have any hope, you have nothing. Things are not THAT bad yet. :rolleyes: I think there are a lot of bright and sunny days ahead (in the near future) for the Huskies and us.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I sure would like to see Amari DeBerry join the family. What a HUGE get she would be. The Nation would be grinning from ear to ear with a commitment from her and Kamilla Cardosa. This would allow some yarders to come in off the ledge, as UConn would then have three talented 6-5 players on the roster. That my friend is a recipe for success. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I sure would like to see Amari DeBerry join the family. What a HUGE get she would be. The Nation would be grinning from ear to ear with a commitment from her and Kamilla Cardosa. This would allow some yarders to come in off the ledge, as UConn would then have two talented 6-5 players on the roster. That's a recipe for success. :)
At the top of my Christmas list along with Piath....

Carnac

Reaction Score
At the top of my Christmas list along with Piath....

Mine too. Geno will lose almost HALF (5 of 11) of his roster after this season to graduation. He MUST replace them with somebody. Those looking to go to an established program with a proven history of preparing players players to move on to the next level, UConn is THE place. There will be plenty of playing time for transfers and freshmen (when they're ready). Seniors = Adebayo, Bent, Camara, Dangerfield and Irwin.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I know, don't invite the karma gods to teach us a lesson, but I suspect her tears of joy tweet means she's already made her decision. :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Alydar: "Do you think you could identify this player?"

j66kicker: "Amari DeBerry"

So... how much more help do you need??

I thought you saaid it was there, hidden in a post. I'm looking for a laugh, not accuracy. You should know that by now. Yawn, I'm going to bed. Big day tomorrow.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I watched some of Piath's above game film. Help me understand. What did she show in that game that makes her "UConn worthy"? I am staying on safe ground here.

Reaction Score
I watched some of Piath's above game film. Help me understand. What did she show in that game that makes her "UConn worthy"? I am staying on safe ground here.

She is not even close to be the same player now, as she was in the film! Something clicked with Gabriel this summer, and she became a much better player. She became more aggressive, more active, and developed her game. Don't get me wrong, she is nowhere near a finished product and will take a few years to develop, but the potential is definitely there!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She is not even close to be the same player now, as she was in the film! Something clicked with Gabriel this summer, and she became a much better player. She became more aggressive, more active, and developed her game. Don't get me wrong, she is nowhere near a finished product and will take a few years to develop, but the potential is definitely there!

Hopefully not a few years, though Tina really didn't get it until the 2d semester of her junior year when she finally let her inner beast loose.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t know exactly when the film was taken, or how long Piath had been playing basketball at that time. There is another game highlight film on the internet taken by the father of a guard from Simsbury who attacks Piath in the paint throughout the game scoring or getting fouled frequently. As I watched that film, it struck me that Piath did not yet understand how to move her feet or use her size to defend the paint.

With the exception of a handful of Bigs (Stewie) almost all Bigs come to college with significant shortcomings. When I watched Liv in UConn’s 1st exhibition game last season, she was so raw I thought it might take 2 seasons or more before she became a solid player for the Huskies. But after watching her develop over the course of the season as well as this summer, along with her new muscled frame, I have no doubt that Liv will be very good this season.

Piath is still learning the game. To get some idea how she might develop, we can look at her brother Wenyen. In 2 seasons at KY he averaged a pedestrian 5 minutes per game. As an undrafted free agent, Wenyen signed a joint NBA/G-League contract with Sacramento/Stockton. Watching a highlight film of Wenyen in a summer league game vs Golden State, I was struck by his exceptional athleticism and tremendous potential to ultimately be a solid professional in the NBA.

Geno is the best evaluator of ability in WBB. I’m sure the scholarship offer he extended to Piath was not done on a whim, and is based on a continuing evaluation over several years. I’m going to trust Geno on this one. I look forward to seeing Piath’s development over the next few seasons and sincerely hope she accepts UConn’s scholarship offer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom