2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5

Reaction Score
We already have 3 committed for 2020. We know they are looking at Cardosa, Edwards, and now Gabriel. How many more do you think we will add for the 2020 class?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am confused (at 75 a not unusual situation). Has Piath been offered and accepted UConn scholarship? I don’t see a mention in Courant.
You’ll get better information and breaking news on the Boneyard before the Courant... they get most of their stories from the Boneyard as well

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Some interesting background information on the Gabriels journey to the US. They were originally from the Sudan. They fled war-torn Sudan for Cairo, Egypt and then applied to immigrate to the US. When their immigration request was approved, the family felt as if they had won the lottery.
Finally, Piath’s name in Sudanese means “Good”.
Isn’t that how all immigrants feel when they’re approved?

Reaction Score
Not bad form at all. From that little bit she kind of runs and moves like Kalani Brown. If she has her shot, inside game and a motor she is a blessing.
Gabriel is far more athletic than Brown!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Gabriel is far more athletic than Brown!
Clearly. But athleticism without a motor or a shot is far worse than a lack of athleticism. For my money I'll take those two over the one any day.

Reaction Score
Clearly. But athleticism without a motor or a shot is far worse than a lack of athleticism. For my money I'll take those two over the one any day.

I seem to remember an interview when Geno said the hardest thing to find were players who could score at the college level. Geno's words were something like "There really aren't many HS players who are good at putting the ball through the hoop". So I guess shooting is the most critical. My biggest peeve watching wcbb? A spectacular spin move through the lane resulting in a layup that smashes off the glass and misses the rim. And to really annoy me the announcer shows a replay of the move as if that was what mattered. It's like a skater who can get 4 revolutions but always lands on their dupa.

But athleticism is the most fun to watch. Shooters go hot and cold but truly elite athletes always look great. I sat through a lot of blowout UConn games just watching Gabby Williams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I seem to remember an interview when Geno said the hardest thing to find were players who could score at the college level. Geno's words were something like "There really aren't many HS players who are good at putting the ball through the hoop". So I guess shooting is the most critical. My biggest peeve watching wcbb? A spectacular spin move through the lane resulting in a layup that smashes off the glass and misses the rim. And to really annoy me the announcer shows a replay of the move as if that was what mattered. It's like a skater who can get 4 revolutions but always lands on their dupa.

But athleticism is the most fun to watch. Shooters go hot and cold but truly elite athletes always look great. I sat through a lot of blowout UConn games just watching Gabby Williams.
My biggest peeve are missed open layups. Second are short pull ups. If you hate such replays, wait until women become regular rim rockers and start clanging dunks. Double replays and twice on Sunday's ESPN.

Yeah, athleticism is fun to watch. What I like though are athletes that make it look smooth and easy at every level, with an economy of motion. Athletes that execute. I see a lot athletes in all sports that are wildly athletic, but their inability to execute and their wasted energies frustrates me to the point of cynicism. I prefer watching Harden and Stephon over the Greek Freak, or Russell Westbrook, although Harden's ball dominance infuriates me. I enjoyed watching Gabby, but I loved Pheesa. When a great athlete loses their hops or their speed they're fodder. When a PLAYER loses their hops and speed they're still players.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is the only scouting report I can find on Gabriel at the moment, from May of this year:

Piath Gabriel – 2020 — 6-4 – Post – Rivals 11thPlatinum – Imposing size…Nice post moves…Likes to put it on the floor with her back to the basket…Prefers to go right hand over the left shoulder…Scores left hand too…Can be a major force

Reaction Score
Gabriel could be a similar developmental project to Kara Wolters if she’s willing to do the work. Comparing the two at this age, Gabriel is far more athletic and mobile than Wolters was so there’s a huge upside if the attitude and effort are there.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

One of the things that I find interesting is apparently Ward, Lady Rivals and others feel vindicated in their earlier assessments of Gabriel only after UConn offered her a scholarship. Evidently those other offers from Pitt, UNC, KY, etc. didn’t count for much of anything.

There is certainly no denying that as far as WBB goes, there’s nothing quite like a “Geno Auriemma seal of approval.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom