2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Piath Gabriel 6’5

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
With all due respect Oldude, Gabriel and Ono's HS are not comparable. ONO was a top-five talent coming off a knee injury. Soxfan23 sees progression since this film. So must Geno. Serviceable bigs is one of the few short term needs that the team has. I am not sure she will be ready to help in 2020 if she chooses UConn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all due respect Oldude, Gabriel and Ono's HS are not comparable. ONO was a top-five talent coming off a knee injury. Soxfan23 sees progression since this film. So must Geno. Serviceable bigs is one of the few short term needs that the team has. I am not sure she will be ready to help in 2020 if she chooses UConn.
I don’t disagree that Piath may not be a significant contributor in 20-21 if she comes to UConn. Yes, Liv was a top 5 player coming off a knee injury. Piath is an unrated player who’s still learning the game.

Geno probably views her as something of a project with the hope that she can be a solid contributor by her sophomore season (21-22). Kiah Stokes did not really become a contributor until midway in her junior season, eventually becoming a top 10 draft pick and solid pro player in the W. Time will tell.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Everyone seems so confident Gabriel is a lock for UConn, I thought the same about Boston from last years class and look what happened.
I agree that we never really know what a HS kid will do until they sign their LOI. The one key difference between Boston and Piath is that Boston was staying with her aunt in MA. Her immediate family lives in the USVI. Piath’s immediate family lives in Manchester, NH, 2 hours from Storrs. I believe several of her siblings went to college in New England, and may still reside in the area. Hopefully, that’s a deciding factor.

Reaction Score
Some interesting background information on the Gabriels journey to the US. They were originally from the Sudan. They fled war-torn Sudan for Cairo, Egypt and then applied to immigrate to the US. When their immigration request was approved, the family felt as if they had won the lottery.

They moved to Manchester, NH where there is a sizable Sudanese community. All of Piath’s older siblings attended college in the US. 6’9” brother Wenyen was a scholarship b-ball player at KY, which also offered Piath. Wenyen’s idol is fellow Sudanese player Manute Bol. He currently plays for the Sacramento Kings.

Finally, Piath’s name in Sudanese means “Good”.

That's not "Very Good".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Everyone seems so confident Gabriel is a lock for UConn, I thought the same about Boston from last years class and look what happened.

I too was 99.44% positive that Boston was coming to UConn. So much so that I boldly went out on a limb (that broke) an predicted Boston was coming to UConn just before her scheduled reveal. When we lost Boston, I turned my attention to the next one on the list, Hannah Guesters. She committed to Baylor. On to the next one............. You keep moving. Everyone is not going to say no. You keep at it until you find one that will say yes.

Fast forward.........Hope springs eternal. As as sure you know by now, Gabriel committed to UConn this morning. :)Things are definitely looking up for the program. The spell is broken, and hopefully this signals a new trend of BIGS migrating to UConn like never before.

Now fold up that "wet blanket" and put it away. :) Today is going to be a good day!! UConn got another BIG that several other top 25 teams wanted. The good news is they may not be done. It's possible that Kamilla Cardosa and or Amari DeBerry will come to UConn. Like JordyG said: "However both Oregon and Baylor have had no problem integrating multiple bigs. Hopefully someone will point that out to Ms. Cardosa and Ms. DeBerry in the interim."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She is not even close to be the same player now, as she was in the film! Something clicked with Gabriel this summer, and she became a much better player. She became more aggressive, more active, and developed her game. Don't get me wrong, she is nowhere near a finished product and will take a few years to develop, but the potential is definitely there!

In that video it looked like the game was held in Munchkin Land and Piath just fell from the sky. A couple of the players measured up to her waist, literally.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember a men's player who grew up playing soccer and switched to basketball relatively late. He was somewhat raw as an underclassman on the famous Houston Phi Slamma Jamma team. His career turned out rather nicely. Being raw is ok if you have athletic gifts, good coaching, and a strong work ethic.

1568935943859.png

Reaction Score
I remember a men's player who grew up playing soccer and switched to basketball relatively late. He was somewhat raw as an underclassman on the famous Houston Phi Slamma Jamma team. His career turned out rather nicely. Being raw is ok if you have athletic gifts, good coaching, and a strong work ethic.

View attachment 46493
And especially if you're really, really, REALLY tall....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
On the suggestion made by ?Carnac or eembg or ...can't find the post. Anyway, any short nickname could stop a lot of heimlich manuevers in the stands with us old foggies sucking in the last piece of popcorn or cheese taco chip as we realize the chant is starting for this soon to be a heroine of what could be the most powerful run of UConn WCBB's dynasty. And all of those poor souls sitting in front of us ... the caps ruined, the hair horror! :p

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And on some other boards it would be wailing and gnashing of teeth. :) So it's all good.

Believe me, it's already started. All our coaches are going to have to go with Undercover Boss disguises to go out on the recruit circuit from now one.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

View attachment 46493
A Sleeper...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom