2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2020-2021 Non-Uconn WCBB News

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
4A, which is the largest classification. If not for powerhouse Southeast Raleigh putting her out of the playoffs every year she would likely have multiple state championships.

— Did I also mention she’s averaging 35.2 ppg on 66% from 2 and 79% on FTs? Lol. The weakness in her game at the moment is 3Pt shooting but I suspect she’ll knock them down at a better clip with better players around her as she did in AAU.

I think the reason Saniya hasn't won multiple state championships is less about her and more about the teams she's been on. In her three complete seasons and so far this year, only three other girls she's played with have averaged more than 10 PPG -- two her freshman year at Laney and one last year at Ashley.

So, yes, Southeast Raleigh keeps ending her seasons, but it's because she's the only person on the team anyone really has to worry about.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I CONCUR. I just had this conversation with a friend the other day. Wisconsin is a great women's sports university, which it makes it extra interesting that their basketball team is so abysmal. I don't even know who the coach is there. They need to completely clean house and start over from scratch. It's a far cry from when the 1999 National HS POY, Nina Smith, went to Wisconsin. What ever happened to her? I mean, I know she transferred to Iowa State and it didn't work out.....

It's a major head scratcher. When they program was decent in the last 90s (made NCAAs maybe 50% of the time, and always lost in 1st or 2nd round), they averaged 7000-10000 fans per game. Jane Albright did a lot to get fans amped up for the season and also recruited extremely well. She wasn't great at developing talent or in game coaching, and once her recruiting dried up the team struggled. She had a great assistant early on in Sue Semrau who left for a head coaching job at Florida State and has been an amazing coach there.

The current coach is Jonathan Tsipis who is a former ND associate head coach and was able to capitalize on picking up Jonquel Jones and bolted once she left.

Nina Smith transferred to some small college I believe in Iowa. She had the potential to be a Courtney Paris type of player with a ton of size and strength inside with good touch around the basket. Word back in the day was she went to Wisconsin over Tennessee since she wanted to have a full college experience and knew her life would be a lot more regimented had she played for Pat. Wisconsin should've been really good when they had Sims/Stomski/Moore/Smith all in the lineup together but they couldn't get past the first round.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I mean just recently Van Lith, Dalayah Daniels, von Oelhoffen, Jordyn Jenkins to name a few, none of which chose UW or in state schools. Pivec recently, Brittany McPhee a little before that. Courtney Vandersloot. It was before I was paying any attention to girls HS basketball but Leilani Mitchell is from Tri Cities. Kate Starbird from back in the day. Sheila Lambert. Joyce Walker way back when. That's a few I've come up with, I'm sure there are plenty more. None chose UW. They must've gotten a few somewhat highly recruited locals to stay home, but I'm not coming up with a good list (McD's AA Katie Collier and Deja Strother were both Huskies and neither really panned out). Oh, Briann January, that's another one.

Some of those weren't Puget Sound area/Western Washington, and UW is less likely to get players from Central/Eastern WA.

Gonzaga's Elite 8 run was powered by Vandersloot, Heather Bowman and Kayla Standish, all WA products.

edit--I probably don't have to remind you of Angie Bjorklund. I think she was rated #2 in her class, although I don't think she really lived up to it.

Yeah that's a lot of big names to miss on. I didn't think about it, but I'm sure Gonzaga being in state doesn't help either since they're snagging a lot of the talent. Not to mention Oregon/Oregon State and Stanford.

Reaction Score
How many of those ACC titles that McCallie won were with Gail's recruits who stayed for the Duke education only?

@CamrnCrz1974
The ACC titles came in years 3,4,5, and 6.

what she did after that was obviously not nearly as good, but the ACC got a good bit better too with ND and Louisville. which cuts both ways, I suppose.

I get it. I would not be happy with Dawn's replacement if she produced 6 years like McCallie's last 6. Even if those 6 years are not really bad exactly.

But it's hard to be great forever even within the same coaches tenure. Harder still to string together multiple great coaches.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
How many of those ACC titles that McCallie won were with Gail's recruits who stayed for the Duke education only?

@CamrnCrz1974

• 2 of McCallie's 4 regular season ACC titles were won with players and recruits who had played for and signed with Gail Goestenkors.
  • 2 of McCallie's 3 ACC Tournament championships were won with players and recruits who had played for and signed with Gail Goestenkors.
The ACC titles came in years 3,4,5, and 6.

what she did after that was obviously not nearly as good, but the ACC got a good bit better too with ND and Louisville. which cuts both ways, I suppose.

I get it. I would not be happy with Dawn's replacement if she produced 6 years like McCallie's last 6. Even if those 6 years are not really bad exactly.

The first two ACC regular season titles and ACC Tournament championships came primarily with Gail Goestenkors' recruits, signees, and players.

And while Louisville and Notre Dame strengthened the conference, Maryland left. McCallie has privately claimed Goestenkors had a much easier time without ND and Louisville, but she forgets that when Goestenkors was making Final Four appearances, so were North Carolina and Maryland (with MD winning the national title).

And as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, McCallie's record against ranked teams while at Duke was ABYSMAL

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The shade at leaving Lexie and Lacie Hull off the list of recent good players from Washington is strong. ;)

I kid, but you know, Washington is capable of being good, it just seems like success has been hard to sustain, largely due to the prominent coaches leaving for other positions. I don’t know how you fix that unless you hire an Amber Melgoza, Kelsey Plum or a homegrown alum to be the coach in the long run and hope that they succeed—but the Whalen experience shows that it doesn’t really work out.
:rolleyes: I knew I was forgetting some players. Well Lexie much more than Lacie, let's be honest.

edit--UW does have a former standout player getting some coaching experience in Loree Payne, but she's having a much tougher go at D1 Northern Arizona than she did at D3 Univ. of Puget Sound.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There was another Yakima, WA player I couldn't think of last night. Teresa Borton. Article I saw said she was a top 30 player in her class, came down to Notre Dame and UConn before she chose the Irish.

Reaction Score
Oregon latest team with a covid related shutdown.

They got scurrred of mighty Colorado coming to town.

Unfortunate for them, hopefully they get through it soon.

The Pac-12 has been a mess, and I think it's been pointed out that the schedule really is becoming more and more imbalanced.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bad news for Colorado, Jaylyn Sherrod had hip surgery and is done for the year. Just heard it during a game I'm watching.

Reaction Score
Nina Smith transferred to some small college I believe in Iowa. She had the potential to be a Courtney Paris type of player with a ton of size and strength inside with good touch around the basket. Word back in the day was she went to Wisconsin over Tennessee since she wanted to have a full college experience and knew her life would be a lot more regimented had she played for Pat. Wisconsin should've been really good when they had Sims/Stomski/Moore/Smith all in the lineup together but they couldn't get past the first round.
If I'm thinking of the right person Nina Smith was a bit of a problem child. As a sophomore or junior in high school she talked about skipping college and going straight to the WNBA.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just watched a game between SEMO and Tennessee Martin. Sophie Cunningham was one of the announcers and did a good job. My only complaint was her using the tired terms "the Bank is open" and she has a "great future ahead of her". Also, is there any other coach in college basketball that has two courts named after them? Tennessee and Tennessee Martin, both named for Pat Summit.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon St. back on covid shutdown, after a brief 4 games back. Are they the first to have 2 separate shutdowns this year?

Just as Oregon, Arizona and Cal were returning. I don't think we've had a full set of games in the Pac 12 even one week this season.

Reaction Score
Oregon St. back on covid shutdown, after a brief 4 games back. Are they the first to have 2 separate shutdowns this year?

Just as Oregon, Arizona and Cal were returning. I don't think we've had a full set of games in the Pac 12 even one week this season.
And they are in small town of 60 thousand people. You would think it would be some what easier to maintain a bubble.

Reaction Score

Tennessee and Michigan come to mind. Both programs are in their second pauses for the season. I think there are a few teams in the Big East that have paused more than once too.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Where's my dislike button? This sucks, no two ways about it. And the worst part is it likely would have been resolved within weeks...

She’s a damn good ball player and leaves a good sized hole for Close to fill.

But I can’t imagine being in her shoes and seeing other Aussies (and international students in general) here and playing, while she can’t get the green light. It’ll be interesting to see if their other Aussie freshman stays home, too.

Reaction Score
Close will either have to have a massive 2022 class or hit the transfer portal hard.

Bessoir and (at least for now) Anstey in 2020. That’s a solid class but Close missed on a ton of domestic recruits.

Only Dominique Darius in 2021, missing out on the really good Californians (Iriafen, Demetre, Marshall, and Akunwafo).

With Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, and Arizona recruiting really well (USC and even Cal are stepping up too) Close will have to pick it up to stay at the top of the Pac-12.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today that the Louisville at Syracuse women’s basketball game scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 14, and the Notre Dame at NC State game scheduled for Monday, Feb. 15, have been postponed.

The postponement of the Louisville-Syracuse game follows a positive test, subsequent quarantining and contact tracing within the Louisville women’s basketball program. The postponement of the Notre Dame-NC State game follows positive tests, subsequent quarantining and contact tracing within the Notre Dame women’s basketball program.

I would say something.... but since its Valentine's weekend... I'll be nice :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

joy.gif

My Panthers

And of course... with the Big South Tournament being held this year at on-campus sites... the road to the NCAA tournament goes through The Millis Center... where HPU is undefeated at home (in Big South play)

On the downside.... seems like the next time High Point will win the regular season is 2028 :oops:

Reaction Score
My Panthers

And of course... with the Big South Tournament being held this year at on-campus sites... the road to the NCAA tournament goes through The Millis Center... where HPU is undefeated at home (in Big South play)

On the downside.... seems like the next time High Point will win the regular season is 2028

HPU needs to recruit some twins. They would be called the Pointer Sisters.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
HPU needs to recruit some twins. They would be called the Pointer Sisters.
Never a bad time for some Pointer Sisters and some Soul Train.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom