Walker
Westbrook
CW
ONO
Griffin
Ania
Bueckers

Reaction Score
With so many grad transfers now, there is nothing wrong with having classes of two, assuming both are impact players. That seems to be the case with all eight, and they are indeed 2,2,2,2. Having said that, I would be very surprised if they didn’t add a post player to the 20-21 class.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
At least two more freshmen are probable. I wouldn't be shocked if they brought in another grad transfer as well.

Reaction Score
At least two more freshmen are probable. I wouldn't be shocked if they brought in another grad transfer as well.

Why would they want another grad transfer? I think Geno would rather have 4 years to develop someone unless there is an urgent need at a position.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Why would they want another grad transfer? I think Geno would rather have 4 years to develop someone unless there is an urgent need at a position.

Have you looked at the frontcourt in 2020? It's the same as this year prior to Adebayo's addition. It's ONO and Walker and Walker's only nominally a frontcourt player. A high-quality transfer might be the missing puzzle piece.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have you looked at the frontcourt in 2020? It's the same as this year prior to to Adebayo's addition. It's ONO and Walker and Walker's only nominally a frontcourt player. A high-quality transfer might be the missing puzzle piece.

If they sign some posts there will not be an "urgent need" for a grad transfer, if not, there will be.. . . :cool:

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
If they sign some posts there will not be an "urgent need" for a grad transfer, if not, there will be.. . . :cool:
That goes/or went without saying. If IF can't write that big enough if Uconn gets a Big or 2 as a frosh they will also want some experienced big to go along with ONO. Uconn has lacked a really EFFECTIVE big in the order of KIAH (who actually could present OFFENSE) or Steff for along long time. The time has come to fix that. Transfer or Recruit. I said, again, that which wasn't necessary to say.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

You're talking about freshmen. As we saw this past season with ONO, freshmen can rarely be counted on when you're trying to win a national title.

Reaction Score
You're talking about freshmen. As we saw this past season with ONO, freshmen can rarely be counted on when you're trying to win a national title.

Also, you don't know how well a high school post will translate to the college game. Some are great in high school because they are just bigger than everyone.A grad transfer, you have three years of college film to go off. I think its easier to know what you are getting from a grad transfer. Plus a grad transfer has been in a collegiate strength program for years, you can't make up for that with a freshman, even if the freshman is higher rated

Reaction Score
With so many grad transfers now, there is nothing wrong with having classes of two, assuming both are impact players. That seems to be the case with all eight, and they are indeed 2,2,2,2. Having said that, I would be very surprised if they didn’t add a post player to the 20-21 class.

IMHO, you need classes of 3. Transfers are a last resort or a chance to add a piece that really puts you over the top. Just because UConn was somewhat successful in acquiring transfers this year, you cannot rely on that every year.

Reaction Score
IMHO, you need classes of 3. Transfers are a last resort or a chance to add a piece that really puts you over the top. Just because UConn was somewhat successful in acquiring transfers this year, you cannot rely on that every year.
OK, since you feel that way, count the classes in the last 10 years that had three impact players. (One?) Geno has said time and time again that their goal is two impact players a year; in 20-21, he might just have that for all four classes. I would rather have two grad transfers who have three years of college experience than a “filler” Freshman who ends up transferring out of the program. If UConn wants grad transfers, they will certainly have little difficulty in finding them.

Reactions: MTC
Reaction Score
OK, since you feel that way, count the classes in the last 10 years that had three impact players. (One?) Geno has said time and time again that their goal is two impact players a year; in 20-21, he might just have that for all four classes. I would rather have two grad transfers who have three years of college experience than a “filler” Freshman who ends up transferring out of the program. If UConn wants grad transfers, they will certainly have little difficulty in finding them.

The problem is that you can't guarantee any incoming will be an impact player. Coach Auriemma has also said time and time again that classes of 3 are ideal. The problem with grad transfers is there are just not that many of them that are very good. Each year there is only a handful that are good enough to play at UConn. You are really gambling if you are relying on grad transfers every year!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The problem is that you can't guarantee any incoming will be an impact player. Coach Auriemma has also said time and time again that classes of 3 are ideal. The problem with grad transfers is there are just not that many of them that are very good. Each year there is only a handful that are good enough to play at UConn. You are really gambling if you are relying on grad transfers every year!

It's not about "relying" on grad transfers. Geno isn't going to turn down a good 4-year player in anticipation of getting a grad transfer. He's going to get the best 4-year players he can get and will then supplement the roster with grad transfers he thinks can help at particular positions. If there aren't grad transfers who can help then he won't pursue any. Usually there are grad transfers who can help.

Baylor had the #1 recruiting class entering last season but Mulkey knew point guard was a position that needed help. She grabbed grad transfer Chloe Jackson and Baylor doesn't win the championship without her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not about "relying" on grad transfers. Geno isn't going to turn down a good 4-year player in anticipation of getting a grad transfer. He's going to get the best 4-year players he can get and will then supplement the roster with grad transfers he thinks can help at particular positions. If there aren't grad transfers who can help then he won't pursue any. Usually there are grad transfers who can help.

Baylor had the #1 recruiting class entering last season but Mulkey knew point guard was a position that needed help. She grabbed grad transfer Chloe Jackson and Baylor doesn't win the championship without her.
Well-articulated post. The reality of today’s game is that grad transfers are readily available and well scouted. There is no better way to plug a one-year hole; no one is suggesting, however, that building a program on transfers is a good idea.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
IMO in most not all situations a grad transfer is a bandaid to fill a vacant position whether starter or backup. You cant build a team around them in such a short time but they can help. We saw Natalie Butler leave UConn and become a double double star at George Mason. She had problems cracking the UConn lineup. Bringing in a good player from another might be, and could be just that. We have ONO now and shes good and imo will be very very good and with the players surrounding her she might even be better then good. What UConn needs is a big in ONOs junior year to give her time to develop. There arent alot of really good bigs out there. Take a look at opponents rosters and look for really good bigs who can score, play defense and do it consistently. There arent alot of them. As good as Griner was Baylor won only 2 NC's and UConn beat them twice. UConns roster for the next 2-4 years is loaded. ONO will be great. I like our chances with Fudd and DeBerry. Watch this season teams with multiple bigs and see what happens. See who plays and who sits and if they look to go elsewhere???

Reaction Score
IMO in most not all situations a grad transfer is a bandaid to fill a vacant position whether starter or backup. You cant build a team around them in such a short time but they can help. We saw Natalie Butler leave UConn and become a double double star at George Mason. She had problems cracking the UConn lineup. Bringing in a good player from another might be, and could be just that. We have ONO now and shes good and imo will be very very good and with the players surrounding her she might even be better then good. What UConn needs is a big in ONOs junior year to give her time to develop. There arent alot of really good bigs out there. Take a look at opponents rosters and look for really good bigs who can score, play defense and do it consistently. There arent alot of them. As good as Griner was Baylor won only 2 NC's and UConn beat them twice. UConns roster for the next 2-4 years is loaded. ONO will be great. I like our chances with Fudd and DeBerry. Watch this season teams with multiple bigs and see what happens. See who plays and who sits and if they look to go elsewhere???

I think Baylor only won 1 NC in the Griner error.

Reaction Score
Baylor seems to hold to the thought that the more the bigs the better. That point was well made by Mulkey and the fact that they lost their primary big to an injury during the championship and were able to replace her with another competent big, they beat ND and won the National Championship. While I do agree with TonyC, the UConn team needs more than one very tall person to win the National Championship. To place this burden on ONO, who is going to be sensational, is not realistic. It is not realistic that she can play with perfection in every game and right now there is no one else who can create a diversion for her to score and rebound. She is probably going to be one beat up kid going into the tournament games.

Reaction Score

I think Coach Auriemma was forced to get creative(overseas, transfer, grad transfer) with his recruiting this year. In future years I would be very surprised if UConn accepted many grad transfers, just not Coach Auriemma's style. I understand times are changing and transfers/grad transfers are becoming very common for most coaches, I just don't see Coach Auriemma following suit.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
[ON EDIT, thanks to eagle eye Sluconn.] So here's the updated roster, two way view.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom