2019 women's soccer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 women's soccer

Reaction Score
UConn loses at home 3-1 to Harvard today. Way too many mistakes on the defensive line today leading to a number of excellent chances for Harvard. As for the UConn offense, it just doesn't create all that many quality goal scoring opportunities that you can write home about.

Reaction Score
Holy hell

I've made a 40+ yard shot in high school; but, it was a straight-on shot from midfield that bounced once before going in as I caught keeper way out of the box when I stripped the ball from an opposing player. Just shaking my head, a 40-yard shot from right right side on the run to the top left corner of the net. Damn...

Reaction Score
They lost 5-0 to Memphis this week.

I think Mags gets one more year to show what she is made of. If we even give a damn about fielding competitive let alone championship worthy soccer teams anymore. If not she may just stay on forever like the other women's sports we don't seem to care being good in like lacrosse and softball. She was of course a rather uninspired hire to begin with.

Reaction Score
UConn lost to Tulsa today 2-0. The Huskies have not yet scored a goal in their four AAC games to date. Any improvement to the offense is not simply showing up on the scoreboard. I had hopes at the beginning of the season that they might sneak into the AAC post season tournament. It's certainly not looking likely at this point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn lost to Tulsa today 2-0. The Huskies have not yet scored a goal in their four AAC games to date. Any improvement to the offense is not simply showing up on the scoreboard. I had hopes at the beginning of the season that they might sneak into the AAC post season tournament. It's not looking likely at this point.

We’ll judging by her twitter today Mags has her excuse, the AAC travel! Of course that doesn’t explain all the losses at home this year but it may work on our gullible AD Dave.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If not she may just stay on forever like the other women's sports we don't seem to care being good in like lacrosse and softball.
There's hope since the softball coach was let go in May.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Was that ball tipped or a perfectly executed lob over the goalie? Regardless it was a nice passing buildup prior to that goal and a much needed W.

Reaction Score
Was that ball tipped or a perfectly executed lob over the goalie? Regardless it was a nice passing buildup prior to that goal and a much needed W.

The ball bounced off the defender into the net. Still, quite a play.

Reaction Score
Hmmm...My wife and I went on an extended Columbus Day weekend vacation on Cape Cod. While we were gone, the UConn soccer teams went 3-0, with the men winning one game and the women winning two. Perhaps I should just go away more often.

With these wins, the women have played themselves into contention for the last AAC tourney playoff spot. They would be in a lot better shape if they had won their previous AAC home games against East Carolina and Cincinnati, or for that matter a road game against a not so hot Tulsa team.

Whatever the case, in order to stay in contention for an AAC playoff spot the women need to get some positive results with the coming Florida trip this weekend to play USF and UCF, both of which are two of the tougher women's soccer teams in the AAC year in and year out. This season these teams are second and third in the AAC standings behind Memphis. Getting positive results against these teams will show positive development for the young UConn team, but if they lose both games they will probably be in tough shape for the AAC post season tourney. I have a feeling this will be a tough weekend road trip for UConn women's soccer, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Hmmm...My wife and I went on an extended Columbus Day weekend vacation on Cape Cod. While we were gone, the UConn soccer teams went 3-0, with the men winning one game and the women winning two. Perhaps I should just go away more often.
If you could vacation to the Cape during ALL UConn tournaments (AAC, NCAA & Big East), that would be great. Titletown here we come.

Reaction Score

I watched most of this game tonight, first one I've seen in quite some time. No question South Florida the better team in this one, especially in the second half. It was amazing that the Huskies were able to stay in this game until the bitter end.

Reaction Score
UConn is currently tied for sixth with Temple in the AAC standings with 7 points. The top 6 teams make the AAC tournament. UConn's last game is against Temple on Halloween. Problem is that Tulsa, Houston, and SMU are all right behind UConn and Temple in the standings with 6 points, and all three of those schools have two played two less games than both UConn and Temple. Not only that, but Tulsa, Houston, and SMU all play each other over the final two weekends of the schedule, so it is very possible that UConn and Temple could get knocked out of the AAC tourney by one of these teams if one of them wins a couple of these games. UConn's loss to Tulsa a few weeks ago could be a real killer in terms of having hopes of making the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
WHUS radio is going to carry tomorrow night’s women’s soccer game against Temple, the final game of the regular season. It is the first time that I know of since the 2017 season that WHUS will be broadcasting a UConn women’s soccer game, after a number of years where WHUS carried almost every game each season. UConn baseball broadcaster Chris Jones, who is also the UConn Athletic Communications chief media contact for women’s soccer, will be doing the play by play. When Chris Jones was a student at UConn earlier this decade, he did lots of soccer play by play on WHUS for both the UConn men’s and women’s teams. It will be good to hear him get a chance to broadcast a UConn soccer game again.

Big Thursday Night In Hartford For WSOC - University of Connecticut Athletics

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
A UConn win and anything but a tie in the head to head matchup of SMU and Houston and we make the AAC tourney. Not sure what happens if SMU/Houston tie and we all have 10 points.

Reaction Score
Sofia Leone puts UConn up 1-0 over Temple midway through the first half. So far UConn getting the better of the play in terms of possession, shots, and corner kicks. Also, a pleasure to listen to Chris Jones doing a soccer game after all these years.

Reaction Score
A UConn win and anything but a tie in the head to head matchup of SMU and Houston and we make the AAC tourney. Not sure what happens if SMU/Houston tie and we all have 10 points.

What needs to happen for UConn to make the AAC tourney is broken down in this game preview. Essentially, UConn needs to win, and Cincinnati needs to get a win at home over East Carolina:

Big Thursday Night In Hartford For WSOC - University of Connecticut Athletics

>Here are the scenarios for the Huskies to reach the six-team conference tournament. All the scenarios include the Huskies needing to win on Thursday night against the Owls.
  • UConn is the 5 seed if tied at 10 points with SMU, Houston and ECU
  • UConn is the 5 seed if tied at 10 points with SMU and Houston
  • UConn is the 6 seed if ECU loses and either SMU or Houston wins
  • If ECU wins and SMU or Houston wins than the Huskies would not make the tournament.<

Reaction Score
Also, a pleasure to listen to Chris Jones doing a soccer game after all these years.

Chris Jones has an official title of Assistant Director of Athletic Communications/On-Air Talent with UConn. One thing he mentioned during the first half of the broadcast of the women's soccer game is that he is working on getting a lot more audio for the sports that are carried on UConn All Access. Currently for most sports there is a video component, but no audio. Chris Jones is looking to get more audio for such sports as women's soccer, field hockey, softball, lacrosse, and other UConn sports. If he is able to do it, that will be a big plus for those of us who like to follow the various UConn "olympic" sports. Chris Jones has already put a big mark up with his broadcasts of baseball on WHUS, he will really leave his mark on UConn athletics if he is able to carry this out.

Reaction Score
Drat, Temple ties it up at 1 with about 3.5 minutes to go in the second half.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom