2019 women's soccer | The Boneyard

2019 women's soccer

Reaction Score

As with the mens's soccer schedule, there is no announcement on where the games will be played this season. Also no games against P5 schools. Men's soccer only had one, a road game against Syracuse. I could be wrong, but I would guess those schools may return to the UConn soccer schedules in 2020 when the new soccer facility is scheduled to open. We'll see, but I would think they would want some special games scheduled for the first year of the new soccer stadium.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Boy......................This AAC schedule makes both mens and womens soccer schedules ugly
It really hurts these 2 programs - the men to a greater degree in the sense of recruiting the players that UConn has a proud history of attaining
Id rather see both playing Big East soccer

Reaction Score
First women's soccer game, a preseason affair against Quinnipiac is a week from tomorrow. No site is yet mentioned for the game on the website. Same is true for the men's soccer games starting up a bit later in the month. There has been no official announcement for a home field this season for either team that I know of. It has been said that the games will be played at Dillon Stadium, but the rebuilding of that facility is not yet completed.

Reaction Score
Why not just play at EO Smith?

UNC played at local North Carolina high schools the last 2 years while their stadium was built.

Reaction Score
Why not just play at EO Smith?

UNC played at local North Carolina high schools the last 2 years while their stadium was built.

EO Smith's main field is turf and also has a very small seating area if I remember correctly, which could be concerning, and I assume EO Smith's fall teams are just about to begin practicing, which puts 4 teams on that field (field hockey, football, boy's soccer & girl's soccer). Plus, Regional School District #19 get along so well with UConn (LOL). What about ECSU's field?

Years back before they build a field next to therir law school campus, BC soccer played games all over the Boston area. I remember seeing them play UConn at both Newton North and Natick High Schools.

Reaction Score

First two home games for the women and a preseason game and the first two regular season home games for the men will be played at University of Hartford. The rest to be at Dillon Stadium.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like another stellar start from AD Dave's big hire Maggie R. This was the only semi tough non conference opponent and of course they fell on their face. Maybe she will feast on the line of cupcakes she lined up. Or maybe not?

A school that was the #1 team in New England in nearly every sport is now routinely getting schooled by regional rivals. That is not the sign of a healthy or well run athletic department. It all starts at the top.

Kess Elmore picks up an early 2nd half goal for UConn to make it 2-1. I've been watching the game, and the 2-0 Providence lead did not reflect the play of the game in the first half. It was all fairly even play in that half, with Providence picking up the second goal on a penalty kick on a questionable hand ball call right at the top of the penalty box. By the way, of the starting 11 for UConn, I think 3 players who started 10 or more games last season started this game, so there are a lot of new players on the field for the Huskies to start the season.

Reaction Score
UConn goes down 2-1. Still, I get a feeling this team could improve as the season progresses, there look like there are some interesting young players out on the pitch for the Huskies, they just might need some game time playing together. I never had that feeling about the team last season, that they could improve.

Reaction Score
Of course they can improve. After tonight they play all low level D1 schools.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Of course they can improve. After tonight they play all low level D1 schools.

And tonight they dominated the first of them. Good for their confidence.

Reaction Score
UConn women’s soccer plays tonight at CCSU. This is one of two non conference games this season against teams that UConn played last season. In the game last year, UConn fell behind 2-0 in the first half before scoring three straight goals to eke out a win. From what I recall, at no point was it an easy game for UConn, it was nip and tuck all the way, both from the play on the field and the result on the scoreboard. From the viewpoint of team improvement, it will be interesting to see how tight this game is tonight for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Tied 1-1 after 90 minutes in New Britain

Blue Devils and Huskies going to OT

Reaction Score
LOL A tie against CCSU.

Just another night in David Benedict's Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Tied 1-1 after 90 minutes in New Britain

Blue Devils and Huskies going to OT

Ends in a 1-1 tie. Very little in the way of offense for either team for the first 80 minutes, then things picked up with some interesting chances. Still, UConn offense clearly needs to do more in the way of creating better chances, as they didn't have many through most of the game.

Reaction Score
Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky, who lead the women's team in goals with 8 last season, has not yet played this season. She has been out with an injury (I recently saw a women's soccer video where it appeared that she was wearing a boot on her foot). According to a story in the Daily Campus, DK should be back playing soon, possibly as early as the game on Sunday. It will be interesting to see what she can do on the offensive end with Vivien Beil and Kess Elmore (both missed last season due to injury), and talented newcomers Duda Santin and Jessica Mazo. Defender Jacqueline Harnett also looks like a welcome addition to the team, often helping out on the offensive end. This season's offense does look better, but with all the newcomers on the field it still looks like the team needs some time to get familiar with each other on the pitch, as among other things the passing is not always crisp at this point, at least in the portions of games that I have seen on video so far. Just got to hope that they get it together with each other pretty quickly, as the college soccer season just doesn't last all that long.

Reaction Score
From a top 10 program to the 3rd best in the city of Providence.

Reaction Score
Brown beats UConn 2-0. Was not able to watch it online, but from look of the stats page Brown was definitely the better team tonight. From what I saw on online video in previous games the UConn defense was definitely better than last season. However, tonight they gave up a lot of shots, with a lot of them on net.

Reaction Score
Brown beats UConn 2-0. Was not able to watch it online, but from look of the stats page Brown was definitely the better team tonight. From what I saw on online video in previous games the UConn defense was definitely better than last season. However, tonight they gave up a lot of shots, with a lot of them on net.

They are bad. And they probably made a bad hire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn women's soccer has a 0-2-1 record on the road so this season. They have a "home" game against BU today, their first game of the season that is at Dillon Stadium. Last season these teams played in Boston, and UConn got absolutely smoked losing 3-0. I watched that game on video last year, and it was brutal. It will be interesting to see how it goes today.

Reaction Score
UConn beats BU 3-1. Best thing out of this match was the return from injury of Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky, who played 34 minutes off the bench, and picking up an assist. She looks like she could be a big help to the offense. However, Duda Santin went out with an injury late in the game. Defender Pato Jerzak was held out due to injury as well, UConn could definitely use her on the backline. Not sure what the status of Vivien Beil was, but she did not play as well.

One annoying thing that UConn did was commit a needless stupid foul near the top of the penalty box that resulted in a penalty kick. It was clearly in the penalty box, but really didn't impact the play. UConn's keeper was able to make the stop on the penalty kick, but it seems to me that UConn has picked up a few fouls that have resulted in penalty kicks this season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom