2019 UConn Commit - Darrin (DJ) Smith (Frisco Texas) - Decommitted 6/17/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2019 UConn Commit - Darrin (DJ) Smith (Frisco Texas) - Decommitted 6/17/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s not odd at all. It’s perfectly rational. You put a stake in the ground and then if you get a better offer you pull the stake out and put it in the new ground.

Have you people never had jobs?

You show up and do your best and then someone offers a better life and you leave the same day.

Nobody says - gee why was he trying to make things better while he was here.
you don't think it's weird that kids commit to multiple schools over multiple years when no one is forcing them to commit anywhere? it's not like they have to commit until they sign an LOI.

Reaction Score
you don't think it's weird that kids commit to multiple schools over multiple years when no one is forcing them to commit anywhere? it's not like they have to commit until they sign an LOI.

Its not really that weird. Maybe he had a great visit and jumped the gun? Maybe family or friends pressured him? Maybe he wanted the attention on social media? Lots of possibilities. Grown adults act this way all the time in lots of situations in life. Shouldn't be surprising a high school kid does over a decision this big

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Picture a boat sinking. Do you grab the first thing you can float on?

Then do you toss the life ring for the full lifeboat?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Picture a boat sinking. Do you grab the first thing you can float on?

Then do you toss the life ring for the full lifeboat?

Except this boat is at the exact same depth as when he agreed to get onto it. Furthermore, it appears to be lifting out of the water, as more recruits continue to commit.

I understand the idea that folks continually look to improve their situation. But the timing of this decision is wacky, and there's no getting around that...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Except this boat is at the exact same depth as when he agreed to get onto it. Furthermore, it appears to be lifting out of the water, as more recruits continue to commit.

I understand the idea that folks continually look to improve their situation. But the timing of this decision is wacky, and there's no getting around that...

Because he hasn’t announced the second half of the transaction?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Because he hasn’t announced the second half of the transaction?

No. Because he states "UConn is still a top school for me", alluding to the fact that there isn't yet a plan for the second half of the transaction...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Let it go, he's not coming back. RE just said so.

Reaction Score
you don't think it's weird that kids commit to multiple schools over multiple years when no one is forcing them to commit anywhere? it's not like they have to commit until they sign an LOI.[/
Some kids truly rush into the decision after getting treated nicely during an official visit. And then other offers come along and they begin to imagine the possibilities and feel they acted in haste.
Other kids commit in order to make other teams offer in order to lure them away. It sort of forces their hand. There are bigger fish out their that get a kick out of offering a kid away from a commitment.
Here’s the reality- For teams like UConn that gives out legit offers it sucks. But the vast majority of teams out there lob out bs offers just to get kids to camp (for the fee to pay the GA’s bonuses) and to also market the program via a hot kid who’s getting multiple offers. So the kids committing and decommitting is fair game.
It’s all part of the seedy world of recruiting

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh this is our first time down this road...

I know, I know. He'll end up somewhere else. He's not yet sure where, but he's heard enough interest from "bigger places" such that he's willing to roll the dice...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Go ahead and blame it on me.

One day people will smarten up, stop trying to analyze someone’s HUDL tape, and focus on kids once they hit campus.

Probably not.
Ha - haven't you vowed to be done with this place three times in the past month? You claim to be the adult around here, but really?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Darrin (DJ) Smith is a 5-9 185lb RB/APB from Lone Star High School in Frisco Texas.

Other offers besides UConn are from Air Force, Abilene Christian, Ark State, Colorado, FAU, Hawaii, Howard, Illinois State, Miami (Ohio), Nebraska, New Mexico, New Mexico State, San Diego State, Southern Miss, TCU, Texas State, Tulane, Toledo and ULM.

Highlights

I know, I know. He'll end up somewhere else. He's not yet sure where, but he's heard enough interest from "bigger places" such that he's willing to roll the dice...

Well we did celebrate based on this..

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it’s always a tentative “celebration” till the fax machine spits out the executed NLI.

Well I know you get the point. You’d think Lagow would have made it clear...

Reaction Score
Well at least he may have got the ball rolling and opened some doors for us, especially in Texas as we are off to a strong start even without him. So we can thank him for that. Hopefully we keep the momentum up.

I will say one thing if I think I'm a stud RB and I want to play in the NFL someday, I'm going to play for a Randy Edsall coached team before I go and compete with 5-star after 5-star at a P5 school just to get on the field to showcase my skills.

Reaction Score
Just pull the offer. He’s not coming here.
His original commitment was a warning that we were merely a placeholder.
Let him know that we are thankful for his potential interest but we will now look elsewhere for RB.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Just pull the -ing offer. He’s not coming here.
His original commitment was a warning that we were merely a placeholder.
Let him know that we are thankful for his potential interest but we will now look elsewhere for RB.

I mean that seems a bit extreme, but he does seem to require a lot of attention and that is sort of annoying. I wouldn’t waste too much time chasing someone who enjoys that.

Reaction Score
Mensah was our last commitment last season and was the lowest rated recruit. We will be fine at RB, dime a dozen. Now if Harris decommits that will be a very different story..

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I mean that seems a bit extreme, but he does seem to require a lot of attention and that is sort of annoying. I wouldn’t waste too much time chasing someone who enjoys that.
You know, the way this went down yesterday - I suspect Randy grew very tired of the daily need for affirmation and so a line was drawn and that quickly escalated to last night. Randy probably said either you commit (and stop calling me fishing for attention) or you just decommit and move on. Randy's daily quotes where pretty telling this weekend something was going on somewhere.

Reaction Score
I will never understand the amount of committing and decommiting that happens in college football
Loyalty is dying out. Good news for us, brand loyalty is dying out, too. This kid was an example of brand loyalty dying out.

Reaction Score
He loved it here, so he committed. People close to him, said he could do better. Maybe he can go “bigger”. The question is, not what the biggest name-school is, but what’s the best fit? I have no doubt he will go elsewhere..... On to the next RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom