2019 Recruiting: Precious Achiuwa - Ervin's Crystal Ball to the good guys | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Precious Achiuwa - Ervin's Crystal Ball to the good guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am surprised no one posted this in the last 24 hours since it happened...

I realize that most of us take the 247Sports.com Crystal Ball picks with a grain of salt, but Dain Ervin gave us his pick for 5* Precious Achiuwa yesterday afternoon. And Ervin actually is one of the most accurate on there, for what that's worth.

Achiuwa would be a HUGE get for Hurley, Young and crew on multiple levels. He is the #3 ranked SF in the 2019 class, and #10 overall.

Crystal Ball Target Predictions

Reaction Score
People already feel good about our '19 class. There are a lot of connections to a lot of really good local talent. I just want to know where the scholarships are going to come from. Right now we only have 2 for 2019

Reaction Score
People already feel good about our '19 class. There are a lot of connections to a lot of really good local talent. I just want to know where the scholarships are going to come from. Right now we only have 2 for 2019

If everyone stays this year as it seems I'm afraid there will be more than 2 schollies after the 18-19 season just because.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley will use all of his schollies this year. That leaves him with 2 for 2019, but these problems have a way of taking care of themselves. I think regardless we’ll end up with a 3-4 man class for 2019. Worrying about scholarships is how you end up with 8 healthy players in February.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If everyone stay this year as it seems I'm afraid there will be more than 2 schollies after the 18-19 season just because.

Not sure what that means, but I also don't think Hurley is going to use all 3 of this year's scholarships on guys who would be here in 19-20. I think we'll see at least one grad transfer.

Reaction Score

Assuming Hurley takes on 3 four year players yes, but I doubt that happens. Using @tcf15 handy chart below as a guide, UConn has 3 slots open this year. In an ideal scenario:

• Hurley convinces Lecque to reclass
  • comes with Silverio
  • Add a grad transfer (or Washington from UM)
That's 3 schollies for 2018 and assuming Lecque is a one and done plus the grad transfer leaves that's 4 scholarships for 2019. Plus while it may seem like Kwintin is coming back this year, he's going to be turning 25 2019-20; I doubt he's still here.

Then you get some combination of Delaire, Akok, Mitchell, Achiuwa, or any other guys Hurley has already reached out to. As @mauconnfan
said, the numbers will work out just because -- one way or another.

Reaction Score
Not sure what that means, but I also don't think Hurley is going to use all 3 of this year's scholarships on guys who would be here in 19-20. I think we'll see at least one grad transfer.

No transfer talk or I'd explain. Let's just say with Diarra, Polley, Carlton and Whaley along with what Coach Hurley brings in on the roster next year playing time will be down for one or 2 of them.

Reaction Score
Hurley will use all of his schollies this year. That leaves him with 2 for 2019, but these problems have a way of taking care of themselves. I think regardless we’ll end up with a 3-4 man class for 2019. Worrying about scholarships is how you end up with 8 healthy players in February.
I'm not worried about it, just curious to see how it shakes out

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No transfer talk or I'd explain. Let's just say with Diarra, Polley, Carlton and Whaley along with what Coach Hurley brings in on the roster next year playing time will be down for one or 2 of them.

Understood. Plus Williams. I think some of those guys may see vastly increased playing time though. Still, Adams and Cobb are seniors, if he brings in one grad transfer that's 3, plus any one person who moves on means 4. That is plenty. I think classes should be 3-4 when possible.

Reaction Score
A legit 5* but wow. 175 lb. Hit the lunch line and weight room.

Reaction Score
Silvereno will Be WAYY over his head at UConn. I like leque and Williams
I am surprised no one posted this in the last 24 hours since it happened...

I realize that most of us take the 247Sports.com Crystal Ball picks with a grain of salt, but Dain Ervin gave us his pick for 5* Precious Achiuwa yesterday afternoon. And Ervin actually is one of the most accurate on there, for what that's worth.

Achiuwa would be a HUGE get for Hurley, Young and crew on multiple levels. He is the #3 ranked SF in the 2019 class, and #10 overall.

Crystal Ball Target Predictions
Omar will be WAYYY over his head at UConn. I like smith for 2018 and of course I love leque if Hurley can convince him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You take silvereo if Lecque tells you to.

Not if one is here four years and the other is one and done and you really don't think Silvereo can compete at this level.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not if one is here four years and the other is one and done and you really don't think Silvereo can compete at this level.
Nope, you take him. He'd probably transfer after his sophomore year anyways.

Reaction Score
Nope, you take him. He'd probably transfer after his sophomore year anyways.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see Lecque as a one-and-done. I think he needs to learn to be a true point, and not just overpower people with size/athleticism (a la Rodney, except with a coach who can actually develop him).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Have to disagree here. I like Diarra. His injury threw him off course, but he could be really good for us as an upperclassman.

On another note... To quote @husky429, “I’d give a piece of french toast a scholarship if it meant Lecque comes here.”
So you're advocating to get Silverio and pass on Lecque. Because that's the equation I hope doesn't play out.
Not casting negatives on Diarra.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree here. I like Diarra. His injury threw him off course, but he could be really good for us as an upperclassman.

On another note... To quote @husky429, “I’d give a piece of french toast a scholarship if it meant Lecque comes here.”

Really any kind of bread, actually. Nothing with the word "artisan" in the name though. Terrible for team chemisty

Reaction Score
So you're advocating to get Silverio and pass on Lecque. Because that's the equation I hope doesn't play out.
Not casting negatives on Diarra.
No, I’m saying to get Lecque you have to take Silverio, so you take him. They aren’t going to take Silverio without Lecque.

But in Diarra/Diallo’s case, I would have taken Diarra either way. He was top 100 on ESPN’s list, certainly no slouch.

In defense of Silverio, Pat Lawless noted he has really improved since last summer. Some kids are late bloomers. We shouldn’t treat a kid as a throw away when at most we’ve seen a couple minutes of highlights on him. He also averaged 9.5 PPG on 38% 3P shooting last summer, which really isn’t bad to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44