2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting: Kareem Reid - Reclassing from 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess I am the only one that heard about the issues from last summer. Sid is not Ray or Rip. If he develops Ray's jumpshot or Rip's mid-range game then, yeah, fine, stay weak. But he better be as conditioned as they were too. You can't be weak and in mediocre shape and unskilled. Gotta improve on at least one of those and probably two. The best compliment to athleticism is strength.

P.S. Some of you have serious insecurities. Bunch of haters.

Reaction Score
I guess I am the only one that heard about the issues from last summer. Sid is not Ray or Rip. If he develops Ray's jumpshot or Rip's mid-range game then, yeah, fine, stay weak. But he better be as conditioned as they were too. You can't be weak and in mediocre shape and unskilled. Gotta improve on at least one of those and probably two. The best compliment to athleticism is strength.

P.S. Some of you have serious insecurities. Bunch of haters.
I think you are underestimating what it takes for a player like Sid to have Ray's jumpshot or Rip's mid range game. Quite frankly it's impossible. He is not capable of those heights regardless of how hard he works. Those guys were special with special skills that worked at their craft at an unprecedented rate. I just hope Sid becomes a much better version of what he is capable of without any comparisons of players from the past.

Reaction Score
I just would be happy if Sid developed over 4 years like Donny Marshall or Kevin Freeman. Both had natural skill in areas like rebounding and running the floor. Both were better defensively, but they also work their shot further and further out over time. Donny didn't take many but was decent from outside by the end.
Sid has some serious skill blocking shots and running the floor as well. The shot will get better, but how much is the question. I would like to see his passing improve some as well.
Remember, you are talking about a guy who had to sit out a year and really just had his freshmen season.

Reaction Score
Not saying we should ask a kid to move on--that's insane. But those guys are two of, if not the, best shooters of all time. Sid can't hit a free throw.

I do think he needs to have a reduced role if we'll be successful. Unless he buys in and makes a major jump skill wise.

People keep saying here that Sid is, as of now, not well conditioned, lacks shooting ability and does not understand the nuances of the game well enough to play effectively at this level.

First, how could a player so lacking in shooting ability, knowledge of the game and conditioning have been rated a 4 star?

Second, did he regress the year he sat out and then not improve last summer even with Sal and the current coaching staff in place?

If he didn't improve last summer why would this summer be different?

Reaction Score
I know I get crap for saying it, but again.... transfers are transfers for a reason. Sometimes that reason is a really good one and they go on and really contribute.

But...I'd say 1 in 3 to half of them are transferring because they're usually not good enough to be at the level they're at. And when they get to their destination, you kind of learn about all the reasons why they left their old school to begin with and Sid kinda fits that bill...

I mean it's really easy to see the natural potential. It's all there. But you're also seeing why that hasn't turned over into results yet. I wouldn't say he's a discipline case or lazy per se, that'd be unfair, but he clearly needs more guidance than most and he's not exactly what i'd call a self-starter. So that doesn't really bode well. There's games where he looks great and there's games where he flat out disappears or even kinda hurts us on the floor.

Also worth noting - he's a freshman, basically.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People keep saying here that Sid is, as of now, not well conditioned, lacks shooting ability and does not understand the nuances of the game well enough to play effectively at this level.

First, how could a player so lacking in shooting ability, knowledge of the game and conditioning have been rated a 4 star?

Ratings are based on potential. Sid is tall, long and has NBA athleticism. In high school, they don't know how good you're gonna be. If it looks like you have the tools, you get a good ranking.

His athleticism probably allowed his game to flourish in an unstructured AAU setting.

Second, did he regress the year he sat out and then not improve last summer even with Sal and the current coaching staff in place?

If he didn't improve last summer why would this summer be different?

Because a guy doesn't improve one year means he won't improve the next? Some guys' games grows Fr to Soph. Some Soph to Jr. and so on. Some never.

Sid was apparently one of the last to 'get with the program' (pun intended), if he's even fully there yet. Might be a good part of why he was suspended so long.

If his work habits match those from last summer, he probably won't improve much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know I get crap for saying it, but again.... transfers are transfers for a reason. Sometimes that reason is a really good one and they go on and really contribute.

But...I'd say 1 in 3 to half of them are transferring because they're usually not good enough to be at the level they're at. And when they get to their destination, you kind of learn about all the reasons why they left their old school to begin with and Sid kinda fits that bill...

I mean it's really easy to see the natural potential. It's all there. But you're also seeing why that hasn't turned over into results yet. I wouldn't say he's a discipline case or lazy per se, that'd be unfair, but he clearly needs more guidance than most and he's not exactly what i'd call a self-starter. So that doesn't really bode well. There's games where he looks great and there's games where he flat out disappears or even kinda hurts us on the floor.

You are going to look back at this post and regret it. You are basically implying that the one player on our team who has arguably one of the highest ceilings on the team, should transfer.

Out of all the kids on the roster with various issues, (and I won’t name any names) you pick Sid Wilson?

I can’t even comprehend how your mind came to such a ridiculous conclusion.

Sid is going to be a great player for us. Maybe not in an orthodox way, but a great player nonetheless.

Reaction Score

You must not follow college basketball outside of UConn.

Brandon Clarke, Brandone Francis, Tyrique Owens, Mooney were all out there kicking butt today. Throw in other guys from the torunament- Shayok, The Lawson Twins, the entire Nevada team off the top of my head. You get cr@p for saying it because it's a ridiculous thing to say. There are transfers kicking butt for teams all over the place.

I think we're about to get a transfer who is going to be big for us in the future. Sid never even played for St. John's and he's not basically a freshman, he is a freshman.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You are going to look back at this post and regret it. You are basically implying that the one player on our team who has arguably one of the highest ceilings on the team, should transfer.

Out of all the kids on the roster with various issues, (and I won’t name any names) you pick Sid Wilson?

Sid is going to be a great player for us. Maybe not in an orthodox way, but a great player nonetheless.

1554012528364.png

Reaction Score

Not sure where you're getting the impression I think he should transfer when that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We'll see if he's a great player. I hope you're right.

Reaction Score
Not sure where you're getting the impression I think he should transfer when that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

We'll see if he's a great player. I hope you're right.

I'd say this part kind of gave it away

But...I'd say 1 in 3 to half of them are transferring because they're usually not good enough to be at the level they're at. And when they get to their destination, you kind of learn about all the reasons why they left their old school to begin with and Sid kinda fits that bill...[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
You must not follow college basketball outside of UConn.

Brandon Clarke, Brandone Francis, Tyrique Owens, Mooney were all out there kicking butt today. Throw in other guys from the torunament- Shayok, The Lawson Twins, the entire Nevada team off the top of my head. You get cr@p for saying it because it's a ridiculous thing to say. There are transfers kicking butt for teams all over the place.

I think we're about to get a transfer who is going to be big for us in the future. Sid never even played for St. John's and he's not basically a freshman, he is a freshman.

Of course there are players who do well and I said as much. But for every success story with transfers, there's about 3 car crashes you don't hear about/never hear from again. It's a risk that can pay off in a big way, but it's also got a solid chance to go bad. High risk/high reward. You can't highlight the good without the bad.

According to the NCAA, there were 689 D1 Men's Basketball transfers. 331 of them ended up at a different *division-1* program. Half of them transferred somewhere besides DI. So this isn't made up.

I hope you're right. Lots of interesting guys out there.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Which is particularly ridiculous considering he never put on the uniform for St. Johns. He's not a normal transfer in any respect. He's a kid who wanted to come to UConn and who foolishly let his family talk him into going to St. Johns.

Reaction Score

Woof. Apologies. Reading that back that's not what I meant. Brain + fingers weren't firing.

What I MEANT to say was basically that guys transfer for a lot of reasons - from academics, to issues at home, to discipline issues... but most of the time it's because they're just not good enough to be at the level they're at.

Sid - if memory serves correct - had some sort of home issue I guess.. there were a lot of rumblings about him not being all that motivated, and being a bit of a distraction - or at least had the potential to turn into one - so that was the worry about pressing him to stay at St John's. Sid fits the bill THAT way, but no - I think he's good enough to be here. Sorry that wasn't clear, that's on me.

Reaction Score
Woof. Apologies. Reading that back that's not what I meant. Brain + fingers weren't firing.

What I MEANT to say was basically that guys transfer for a lot of reasons - from academics, to issues at home, to discipline issues... but most of the time it's because they're just not good enough to be at the level they're at.

Sid - if memory serves correct - had some sort of home issue I guess.. there were a lot of rumblings about him not being all that motivated, and being a bit of a distraction - or at least had the potential to turn into one - so that was the worry about pressing him to stay at St John's. Sid fits the bill THAT way, but no - I think he's good enough to be here. Sorry that wasn't clear, that's on me.
You have it backwards. He thought NYC was a distraction. He wasnt the distraction lol

Reaction Score
You have it backwards. He thought NYC was a distraction. He wasnt the distraction lol

Yeah I was just reading this - there's a line in there where they worried about him it seemed. Maybe I misinterpreted it: "But athletic director Anton Goff, coach Chris Mullin and his staff opted not to block UConn because they wanted to see Wilson, who has been dealing with personal issues, get his life on track and not create further distractions, a source said. "

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah I was just reading this - there's a line in there where they worried about him it seemed. Maybe I misinterpreted it: "But athletic director Anton Goff, coach Chris Mullin and his staff opted not to block UConn because they wanted to see Wilson, who has been dealing with personal issues, get his life on track and not create further distractions, a source said. "

Yep. Like a lot of NY kids, he needed to get away from family and other influences. It's a message I think Calhoun used to good effect back in the day. Hopefully Hurley will as well.

I expect Sid to make some big strides. A little stronger, cleaner handle, much better outside shooting. His length, hops and shot blocking would make him a really dangerous defender up top in a press. I want to see him pick up his defensive intensity out away from the basket.

Reaction Score

I believe his personal issue was the death of his mother. His family thought it best he get away from the city so his dad sent him off to prep school. After graduation he reportedly felt he was ready to return home to be closer to family so he signed with St. John's and that summer learned St. John's is still in the city and no different than before he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom