2019 College summer ball - UConn players | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2019 College summer ball - UConn players

Reaction Score

Caleb Wurster surfaces at Falmouth after pitching a game with Wareham earlier in the week. Just goes to show you how fast the players can move around during summer ball.

Reaction Score
Ummmm... I'm getting older and have taken more than my fair share of knocks to the old bean getting in and out of ambulances over the years but did I miss something or is this news to everyone?

Two-way player Ben Casparius ready for future with Commodores and UCONN

>>The Ben Casparius who tantalized the ball in Connecticut continued that trend at UNC. In his freshman year, he batted .316 with 15 RBIs. On the hill, Casparius held a 1.69 ERA in 10 appearances. To add to his awesome stat line, he went two-for-five with three RBIs against Oregon State in game one of the College World Series.

A pretty impressive season on both ends for a natural position player.“He really is a position guy first and foremost,” Phil Casparius said. “People love the fact that he throws hard and has good off-speed stuff. But one of the things that has always been his calling card is that he is a baseball player. It is unique for guys to be that versatile and be both a pitcher and a position player.”

But in his sophomore season, the talent pool at North Carolina increased and it became difficult for Casparius to hit the field.“You’re never going be fully satisfied with everything and opportunities might be limited,” the right-hander said. “I just felt it was time to come a little bit closer to home and just get a restart.”

So, he did exactly that. Casparius decided to head home and transfer to the University of Connecticut. “UCONN is really everything that we could ask for as a family along with the great coaches,” Ben Casparius said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun.”<<

Casparius' UNC Career Stats (his last appearance/game for UNC was 4/21/19)

Reaction Score
Ummmm... I'm getting older and have taken more than my fair share of knocks to the old bean getting in and out of ambulances over the years but did I miss something or is this news to everyone?

>>The Ben Casparius who tantalized the ball in Connecticut continued that trend at UNC. In his freshman year, he batted .316 with 15 RBIs. On the hill, Casparius held a 1.69 ERA in 10 appearances. To add to his awesome stat line, he went two-for-five with three RBIs against Oregon State in game one of the College World Series.

A pretty impressive season on both ends for a natural position player.“He really is a position guy first and foremost,” Phil Casparius said. “People love the fact that he throws hard and has good off-speed stuff. But one of the things that has always been his calling card is that he is a baseball player. It is unique for guys to be that versatile and be both a pitcher and a position player.”

But in his sophomore season, the talent pool at North Carolina increased and it became difficult for Casparius to hit the field.“You’re never going be fully satisfied with everything and opportunities might be limited,” the right-hander said. “I just felt it was time to come a little bit closer to home and just get a restart.”

So, he did exactly that. Casparius decided to head home and transfer to the University of Connecticut. “UCONN is really everything that we could ask for as a family along with the great coaches,” Ben Casparius said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun.”<<

Wow!! This is definitely the first I have heard of it, otherwise it would be very much posted in the Recruiting thread.

Reaction Score
Uh, wow.
Wow!! This is definitely the first I have heard of it, otherwise it would be very much posted in the Recruiting thread.

I searched everywhere tonight when I saw it (thinking I just missed it) but this is the first I've seen it anywhere of any substance (there is a brief mention deep in a 247 UNC Baseball premium thread of the possibility but...).

Reaction Score

I quietly hoped this would happen. Third base is the spot no one really took the job and ran with it. He could fill that void.

Reaction Score

Kevin Ferrer is off to a hot start in summer ball, hitting .410, with 7 doubles, 1 homer, 6 walks in 39 at bats. He's been playing left field.

Reaction Score

Falmouth has released Ben Casparius.

Reaction Score
Falmouth has released Ben Casparius.
He may have been filling in until other players were done with there college seasons, hopefully he resurfaces on another team. Do you think Penders would let him be a two way player ?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
He may have been filling in until other players were done with there college seasons, hopefully he resurfaces on another team. Do you think Penders would let him be a two way player ?

We have had 2 way players in the past, so I would think he can be our Burleson. Here's hoping.

Reaction Score

Guessing his temporary contract ran out. Casparius had about 13 at bats, was hitting .308 with no walks and no extra base hits.

Reaction Score
Guessing his temporary contract ran out. Casparius had about 13 at bats, was hitting .308 with no walks and no extra base hits.
I think Kevin Vance was the last 2 way player at UConn, had a solid Sophomore season hitting over 300 w 7 home runs.

Reaction Score
I think Kevin Vance was the last 2 way player at UConn, had a solid Sophomore season hitting over 300 w 7 home runs.

Adam Schwartz redshirted this past season with the Huskies, so he is a possible 2 way candidate for next year. He is billed as an RHP/outfielder. He is currently putting in time at both positions with the Alexandria Aces of the Cal Ripken Collegiate Baseball League.

Reaction Score
Paul Gozzo has been released by the Bourne Braves. Bourne activated Louisville catcher Henry Davis.

Conor Moriarty is gone from the Valley Blue Sox roster. He had only played in one game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Everyone on the summer ball list had been previously reported on this thread. I would have thought for sure there would be another Husky hiding in some league somewhere, but it apparently is not the case.

Reaction Score
I was about to look up Pat Gallagher's stats when I came across this story of him in summer ball.

>The decision to play for Westfield specifically was easy considering the recommendation from his college coaches and the proximity to the UConn campus, where the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Gallagher plans to begin summer courses the middle of next month. The transition from high school staff ace to collegiate rotation player has been helped with the connection to future UConn teammate Leif Bigelow, with whom he shares a host family.

“He’s been able to talk to me about a lot of the stuff I’m going to experience and what to get ready for next year,” Gallagher said. “It’s been a big help for me in what to get used to and what’s going to be heading my way soon. He’s a great asset, and I’m glad that he’s around.”

Gallagher made three scoreless appearances out of the bullpen to start the summer with Westfield before his first start Monday against Worcester. Gallagher lasted five innings, allowing four earned runs (five total) on eight hits with two walks and four strikeouts, and the right-hander himself described his first start as “rough.”<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paul Gozzo is now on the roster of the New Bedford Bay Sox of the NECBL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom