D.H. Paul Gozzo
RF - Maycock
SS - Hague

Kersten was the starting pitcher.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Was there- stayed for about 4 innings - did not see Anthony Prado. Am I being paranoid?

Reaction Score
Was there- stayed for about 4 innings - did not see Anthony Prado. Am I being paranoid?

Anthony Prato is on the roster sheet that was handed out, and was introduced with the team. He just didn't start.

Reaction Score
Chiovitti looks like he will be a plug and play in CF. He is long, athletic, and strong. Patrick Winkel looked good behind the plate and had two big hits (double and a HR). Brodnansky had a no doubt HR to left. Avery Santos was throwing hard and looked solid. CJ Dandeneau looked as good as a closer could look in the top of the ninth in a 20-0 game. Kyler Fedko is long and athletic and played 3B, SS, and 2B . Will Lucas looked liked the future of the program at SS. Kevin Ferer had a few nice ABs and looks more developed than I anticipated. Jake Sanderson pitched an inning on the mound and the stuff looked good however at times he could not find the zone, looks like he will be slotted into the bullpen based on his repertoire. Bonvincini was stroking it very well, lots of power there. Gozzo looked very good behind the plate and was the only one to play the entire game I believe (started at Designated Hitter). Chris Winkel had a nice HR Midway thru the game . Lots of talent on display today. The roster looks deeper than last year.

Reaction Score
Chiovitti looks like he will be a plug and play in CF. He is long, athletic, and strong. Patrick Winkel looked good behind the plate and had two big hits (double and a HR). Brodnansky had a no doubt HR to left. Avery Santos was throwing hard and looked solid. CJ Dandeneau looked as good as a closer could look in the top of the ninth in a 20-0 game. Kyler Fedko is long and athletic and played 3B, SS, and 2B . Will Lucas looked liked the future of the program at SS. Kevin Ferer had a few nice ABs and looks more developed than I anticipated. Jake Sanderson pitched an inning on the mound and the stuff looked good however at times he could not find the zone, looks like he will be slotted into the bullpen based on his repertoire. Bonvincini was stroking it very well, lots of power there. Gozzo looked very good behind the plate and was the only one to play the entire game I believe (started at Designated Hitter). Chris Winkel had a nice HR Midway thru the game . Lots of talent on display today. The roster looks deeper than last year.

The talent on this team has been getting much deeper the last few years, it will make the final cuts for the spring really interesting. Center field seems to be a wide open spot on this team, so maybe Chiovitti can complicate the cuts even more. Always like to see these Avery Point guys get a chance to make the Storrs team, so we will see what happens. Still, if a player like Chiovitti is able to take over in center field, then Woodworth can stay in the infield at 2B where he was excellent last season. Also thought it interesting that Christian Fedko got the start at 3B.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The talent on this team has been getting much deeper the last few years, it will make the final cuts for the spring really interesting. Center field seems to be a wide open spot on this team, so maybe Chiovitti can complicate the cuts even more. Always like to see these Avery Point guys get a chance to make the Storrs team, so we will see what happens. Still, if a player like Chiovitti is able to take over in center field, then Woodworth can stay in the infield at 2B where he was excellent last season. Also thought it interesting that Christian Fedko got the start at 3B.

While there are questions about who will start in various positions in the field, I suspect whoever will end up being in the starting nine in the hitting lineup will be solid. Biggest question on UConn remains the pitching depth. UConn has a solid weekend rotation with Feole, Gardner, and Kersten, although I feel more comfortable with Kersten as either a weekday starter or middle reliever. Judging from how they performed in summer ball, Wallace and Dandeneau will get the first call for anchoring the bullpen. Hopefully California JUCO Ken Haus can be a reliable pitcher right out of the starting gate, just as Gardner and Kersten were last season. Beyond that, the Huskies need Dunlop and Simeone to take a step up from their off and on rookie seasons of last year, and for some of the horde of ffreshmen and redshirt freshmen to show something as well. As always, the big question mark with young college pitchers is maintaining a semblance of control over their pitches. As for Randy Polonia, it will be interesting to see if he has something to show after two seasons of being on the shelf.

Reaction Score
The little brothers both look like they are gonna see the field this year. pat winkel played some catcher and has some good size. There are quite a few options at backstop but he is gonna get a good look for sure. Kyler fedko absolutely passes the eye test. Kid does not look like someone who just graduated high school. Well built, smooth, fluid and moves so effortlessly and has a solid arm. Very excited to see the newbies in the fall tuneups.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I think that it will be a difficult cut to get down to 35. The roster is deeper but in the conference and NCAA Tournament - you need pitching delpth. Losing Barrow hurts - it will be fun to see who steps up in middle relief and is that swing starter in the 2nd game of a tournament day.

Reaction Score
The little brothers both look like they are gonna see the field this year. pat winkel played some catcher and has some good size. There are quite a few options at backstop but he is gonna get a good look for sure. Kyler fedko absolutely passes the eye test. Kid does not look like someone who just graduated high school. Well built, smooth, fluid and moves so effortlessly and has a solid arm. Very excited to see the newbies in the fall tuneups.

I expect that we could see a lot of Fedko's and Winkel's in the lineup when the spring season gets going. Another freshman to keep an eye on is Mike Yarin and his bat. As for Will Lucas and Adam Schwartz, even though their future may be in the field in future years, it would not surprise me for them to see some mound time in their freshmen year.

Reaction Score
I expect that we could see a lot of Fedko's and Winkel's in the lineup when the spring season gets going. Another freshman to keep an eye on is Mike Yarin and his bat. As for Will Lucas and Adam Schwartz, even though their future may be in the field in future years, it would not surprise me for them to see some mound time in their freshmen year.
I am not sure Yarin makes the 35 out of the gate, let alone the 27. With all the freshmen that played on Sunday he was MIA on the field. 25 guysin total so the field on Sunday by my count (20 position players and 5 pitchers). Hitting in college is a little different than hitting in college, I would take any HS stats with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that it will be a difficult cut to get down to 35. The roster is deeper but in the conference and NCAA Tournament - you need pitching delpth. Losing Barrow hurts - it will be fun to see who steps up in middle relief and is that swing starter in the 2nd game of a tournament day.

Like I said before, there are going to be some interesting position player cuts to get down to the 35 man roster limit in the spring. As far as pitching goes, one of my favorite parts of the spring season is watching over a course of time to see which pitchers emerge and start to gain the confidence of the coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Found this month old story on Mike Yarin committing to UConn that contains info on a football injury that happened during his senior year:

Prep's Yarin will play Division I baseball at UConn - Itemlive

>The college football plan took a turn for the worse for Yarin when he injured himself during the fall season. Yarin suffered a torn labrum in his right shoulder, his throwing shoulder, while attempting to make a tackle playing the safety position for the Eagles.

Surgery would’ve forced Yarin, who also played quarterback, to miss his senior baseball season, so he opted to postpone the procedure. Normally an infielder, Yarin spent the 2018 baseball season as St. John’s designated hitter.

The injury didn’t affect him too much during baseball season, Yarin said.

“The big thing is physical contact and when I’d throw,” Yarin said. “With just hitting, there was no problem. There wasn’t much pain. The issue was with contact during football. It didn’t affect me much at the plate. I had a good season and finished up pretty well at the plate.”<

The article doesn't say whether or not Yarin has had the surgery to his shoulder yet, but I would think that would have happened over the summer. It is possible that he is still rehabbing from it.

Reaction Score
I was looking at information on Mike Chiovitti, landed on the Avery Point baseball page for the 2017 spring season, and found out Chiovitti had transferred from East Carolina to Avery Point.

https://athletics.averypoint.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/954/2015/02/Mike-Chiovitti.pdf

>Mike is a freshman centerfielder from Thomaston, CT who makes his way to Avery Point after transferring from East Carolina. Mike was a 4-year starter at Holy Cross H.S., where he was named to the All-NVL and All-City teams for 4 consecutive years. Mike was also named to the 2015 All-State Team, was a CT Junior Select All-Star, and CT Senior All-Star Game selection. Mike was named team captain his senior season and finished with a batting average of .422, career high school batting average of .380 and being named the team’s Most Valuable Player. Mike showed athleticism on the football field as well, being named to the varsity team as a sophomore.

Upon completion of high school, Mike completed a Post-Grad year at IMG Academy in Florida where he was named the Gold Glove Award Winner for his efforts in the outfield.<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom