2018 spring roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 spring roster

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Fortt at linebacker might be a mistake, I mean a 189 lb linebacker? Terry I can see, he's 6'4" 220. The roster also listed 6' 4" 285 lb lineman Noel Ofori Nyadu as a defensive back. Lol
5 1/2 months until the UCF. Van Demark could gain 10-15 more pounds too.

Reaction Score
Based on this quote, could we see Beavers on the field with 3 other LB's? We will have some promising athletes at LB next year, if the goal is to get the best eleven on the field....
Edsall said in his late recruit signing speech that he thought Kevon Jones is a terrific defensive player and the P5 schools raiding Connecticut missed a good one. I don't think he's going to redshirt him either. Also, wasn't there talk quite a while back of moving Jay Rose to linebacker? He is listed though as a TE. He is certainly big enough and fast enough.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Edsall said in his late recruit signing speech that he thought Kevon Jones is a terrific defensive player and the P5 schools raiding Connecticut missed a good one. I don't think he's going to redshirt him either. Also, wasn't there talk quite a while back of moving Jay Rose to linebacker? He is listed though as a TE. He is certainly big enough and fast enough.

If by “talk” you mean “conjecture from people with no connection to the coaching staff,” then sure, there was talk.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
A position where he has virtually no experience (IIRC)? Didn't he play TE, QB and safety in high school?

Reaction Score
A position where he has virtually no experience (IIRC)? Didn't he play TE, QB and safety in high school?
Like I said the coaches had only explored the idea and talked about it. Not sure about the timeline though. In any event you can't teach 6'4" 242lb and a 4.7 40, he'd be great at LB or TE.

Reaction Score
If by “talk” you mean “conjecture from people with no connection to the coaching staff,” then sure, there was talk.
Nope, don't mean you knuckle heads at all. The coaches, but it was a while ago. I thought a few posters heard this from the same source I did, but maybe not.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Based on this quote, could we see Beavers on the field with 3 other LB's? We will have some promising athletes at LB next year, if the goal is to get the best eleven on the field....

Exactly. We just have to see how this evolves, but I'm thinking they are leaning towards 3LBs + Beavers (or Terry or Fortt) with the Beavers/Terry or Fortt lining up like a linebacker (rather than like a third safety). Beavers is your blitzing (and should be could coverage guy too given his rep for speed) Husky LB, Terry your more physical middle yardage pass defending LB and maybe Fortt is your true pass defending Husky LB. The next level would be to switch their roles around over the course of a game so that the QB is never so sure what the Husky LB position is doing. Ultimately we want to get to a place where Fortt can occasionally blitz with success (which would be a surprise for the opposing team) while Beavers occasionally fakes blitz but drops in coverage to tip or intercept passes to TEs and RBs.

I think this could be a real improvement if playing 3 LBs + Beavers. Or if this new "Husky LB" is played closer to the line of scrimmage like an LB rather than playing deep like a safety.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Anybody notice the serious dearth of running backs—-only saw Mensah and the Texas kid and a walk-on. I know we have the Dante Black kid coming in from Georgia, but we are really behind the eight ball here. We should have three guys-any of whom could play, plus some backups. This could get scary.

Good catch! Coach Edsall did say they were not going to scrimmage a lot during spring training due to reduced number of players on the Spring Roster. The running back situation might be one of the areas that drove him to this conclusion. He continued to say this situation should be greatly improved when the freshman come on board in the summer. If I remember correctly, I think he recruited 2 or 3 running backs this year. I know they will be freshman and will probably redshirt but you never know if you will get a surprise.

Reaction Score
Anybody notice the serious dearth of running backs—-only saw Mensah and the Texas kid and a walk-on. I know we have the Dante Black kid coming in from Georgia, but we are really behind the eight ball here. We should have three guys-any of whom could play, plus some backups. This could get scary.
There are four RBs, Hopkins, Mensah & O'Reilly are listed as such. Zavier Scott has been moved to RB but is listed as a WR.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Plus the staff is working hard to bring in a grad transfer RB for this fall. It will be a good opportunity for some 5th year player.

Are we? I'd imagine so, but who do you know of that we're tracking?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Are we? I'd imagine so, but who do you know of that we're tracking?

Terry Richardson is following CJ Fuller at Clemson.
There are some others, but I think Fuller might be one of our better chances since the kid is east coast.

A long shot would be Tre Watson from Cal who so far has visited New Mexico. Watson is recovering from knew surgery. Corey is following him.
Madre London is another and the best 5th year RB available (I think) from Michigan State. Pulling him in would be unlikely. Mike Z is following.

I've noticed the staff has followed a few other RBs this winter who went on to select other schools.

Reaction Score
Not to worry. 6’7” 213 in college? You just described U of Miami DE Ted Hendricks, the Mad Stork. In the NFL he played (and became a Hall of Famer ) at only 220. Different strokes...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Not to worry. 6’7” 213 in college? You just described U of Miami DE Ted Hendricks, the Mad Stork. In the NFL he played (and became a Hall of Famer ) at only 220. Different strokes...

This is why I love you, Nostical

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This thread is laugh out loud funny.

Thanks y’all.

I just need a Pal post where he calls for Davis back to QB and we can shutter the BY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom