2018 Recruiting Strategy So Far | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Strategy So Far

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like emphasis gas been on skill players.

Most if the recruits have been in the 5'-11"-6'2" range and the 170lbs-200lbs range.

Does this have to do with order of the camps? Do they have some OLine/DLine camps upcoming?

Or is it easier to pluck skill players over the summer and wait to see how bigs who aren't the obvious P5 size/skill development senior season before offering?

Commitments so far indicate a strategy in how to build a class- outside first then inside.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to believe that it has a lot to do with defensive scheme change. The vast majority of these guys have been DBs, and we will need more depth there with a 3-3-5. We are probably also emphasizing it because Diaco's 'prototype' players don't fit the current scheme well, as it requires faster players whereas Diaco's required more length and bulk. Also interesting to see that we're going after lots of track stars. Finally getting some wheels on the roster.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looks like emphasis gas been on skill players.

Most if the recruits have been in the 5'-11"-6'2" range and the 170lbs-200lbs range.

Does this have to do with order of the camps? Do they have some OLine/DLine camps upcoming?

Or is it easier to pluck skill players over the summer and wait to see how bigs who aren't the obvious P5 size/skill development senior season before offering?

Commitments so far indicate a strategy in how to build a class- outside first then inside.

I think the trenches are a place where talent developers later by nature. We need four each a DL and OL this cycle plus two TE. Probably will have to go the PG route for some of these. And it seems most will have to be late bloomers as the P5 world is all over the kids that have already shown something as juniors.

And yes prototypes are out and speed is in.

Reaction Score
Recap - click name to take to highlights:
  1. Kevon Jones (LB/SS) - East Hartford High School, East Hartford CT (UConn Commit 2/25/17)
  2. Dillon Harris (LB)- Cheshire Academy via Bloomfield CT (UConn Commit 4/5/17)
  3. Malik Xavier Banks (DB) - Howard High School, Wilmington Delaware (UConn Commit 6/15/17)
  4. Khyon Gillespie (RB/Safety) - Capital Prep Magnet School, Hartford CT (UConn Commit 6/16/17
  5. Hunter Webb (LB) - Loyalsock Township High School, Williamsport PA (UConn Commit 6/22/17)
  6. Oneil Robinson (WR/DB) - Capital Prep Magnet School, Hartford CT (UConn Commit 6/24/17)
  7. Heron Maurisseau-ONeal (WR/DB) - St. Anthony's High School, Melville New York (UConn Commit 6/24/17)
  8. Jordan Morrison (WR/Athlete) - Steinert High School, Hamilton Twnshp/Trenton New Jersey (UConn Commit 6/25/17)

Reaction Score
... have you guys ever dated?

You attract ... they consider options ... and you find a fit. Simplest answer is the traditional form this regularly takes. The camps follow months of circling. And the kids we get - particularly the CT kids - are on speed and probably have not been exposed to the greater FBS world.

OLine? I am going to tell you - except in rare instances - Randy Edsall rarely locked kids in before their Senior year. We aren't getting 4 and 5 stars; we often found better OLine in our ways. And ... therefore ... HCRE loves to watch the film of the first 4-6 games in their Senior years. I guarantee he has a board with lots of names. DLine is only slightly different.

Reaction Score
The offers are out there... Through today - there have been 135 "known" offers extended. We have 8 commits and 54 committed elsewhere (Reality is that we have only lost a few offered kids (5 out of 135) to non-P5 schools (2 AAC, 2 CUSA, 1 SunBelt). 73 offers still outstanding. At this point last year we had 76 total offers extended/out and 4 commits.

They have cast the net far and wide. P5 need to do what P5 do and fill their spots and offered kids will re-calibrate their "real" opportunities.

Dead period next few weeks (no face-to-face contact with student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.).

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Defensive strategy and speed are probably the two biggest reasons for the way the commit list looks today, and probably in that order. Gone are the days of locking up 15 TE's.

In terms of the type of OL guys we may be able to land; while Pudge has a point historically, it is going to be interesting to see what effect Lashlee and Grimes have on the type of OL guys we land. We may find that we don't have as many "project" guys as we used to. We might land more of the sophomore-year impact guys rather than the junior-year impact guys, or at least that's my hope...

Reaction Score
Defensive strategy and speed are probably the two biggest reasons for the way the commit list looks today, and probably in that order. Gone are the days of locking up 15 TE's.

In terms of the type of OL guys we may be able to land; while Pudge has a point historically, it is going to be interesting to see what effect Lashlee and Grimes have on the type of OL guys we land. We may find that we don't have as many "project" guys as we used to. We might land more of the sophomore-year impact guys rather than the junior-year impact guys, or at least that's my hope...

I don't think that matters

We have done great with the 6-5/6-6 kid that's 260 and has good feet ... and then developed. I'm not sure getting a Soph impact guy in HS makes this. Shafenacker was a rated St Thomas Aquinas guy. Just need better results from development than the last5 years.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't think that matters

We have done great with the 6-5/6-6 kid that's 260 and has good feet ... and then developed. I'm not sure getting a Soph impact guy in HS makes this. Shafenacker was a rated St Thomas Aquinas guy. Just need better results from development than the last5 years.

It matters if you don't feel you have the right personnel on campus today. It means that the rebuild will take longer than we would hope for if we can't land 1 or 2 of the early impact guys...

Reaction Score
It matters if you don't feel you have the right personnel on campus today. It means that the rebuild will take longer than we would hope for if we can't land 1 or 2 of the early impact guys...

Anyone thinking that this rebuild in the AAC, with the mess created over the last 4 years, is going to be anything near easy needs to take a few year sabbatical. This is going to take time to dig out of. It may even be that this year is not awful, because with the last pre-HCVV class on the roster as seniors, good coaching might get us to mediocre, but after that this is going to take time. We are not, in the AAC and New England, going to be able to recruit kids who carry this program to winning records in their first two years. It's not possible and HCRE is not a quick fix kind of guy.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Anyone thinking that this rebuild in the AAC, with the mess created over the last 4 years, is going to be anything near easy needs to take a few year sabbatical. This is going to take time to dig out of. It may even be that this year is not awful, because with the last pre-HCVV class on the roster as seniors, good coaching might get us to mediocre, but after that this is going to take time. We are not, in the AAC and New England, going to be able to recruit kids who carry this program to winning records in their first two years. It's not possible and HCRE is not a quick fix kind of guy.

Nobody said it would be easy and nobody said it would be quick.

The point is whether or not the presence of Lashlee and Grimes accelerate that timetable. I don't think that it's unreasonable to believe that they might, considering the amount of solid press we've received from their acquisitions (Lashlee especially). It's a great selling point to a future student-athlete that we've stolen the heir-apparent to Auburn to become our OC along with a head coach that has placed dozens of players into the NFL...

Reaction Score
My point ...

HCRE and Mike Foley had a formula that worked. Edsall probably has evolved some through the Maryland years. Grimes and Lashlee do provide recruiting contacts, credibility and bandwidth beyond. But ... we are beyond the PP & BD years just by Concept. At the margins ... we will get a few 3/4 stars because of the two Offensuve assistants. Like Holmes. But the Edsall evaluation works. And it targets NE and Northeast kids well.

I really like the four 2017 OLine recruits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nobody said it would be easy and nobody said it would be quick.

The point is whether or not the presence of Lashlee and Grimes accelerate that timetable. I don't think that it's unreasonable to believe that they might, considering the amount of solid press we've received from their acquisitions (Lashlee especially). It's a great selling point to a future student-athlete that we've stolen the heir-apparent to Auburn to become our OC along with a head coach that has placed dozens of players into the NFL...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I think Lashlee lends credibility to our ability to recruit skill position offensive players. I also think Grimes adds credibility to recruiting DBs, and fast linebackers. There are undersized speed LBs who may well be passed up as tweeners by big programs, but who are talented football players. I'm speculating, but it always struck me that Diaco was going to struggle to find talent at a "Iowa" (or Wisconsin) size on the defensive side. The fast, skilled 250 lb LB is going to have multiple P5 offers. Put 15 pounds on Kevon Jones for example, and he's an OLB in this system.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Until HCRE proves he can't recruit at UConn, I give him the full benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting.

I wasn't willing to do that with P or Diaco when it came to under the radar guys.

The program is a mess, but I have the utmost confidence Randy will have us not as a national laughingstock this upcoming season, and hopefully bowl contention in 2018.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
The senior class has talent. The problem is Diaco's philosophy of recruiting size and not speed needs to be addressed. The coaching staff is addressing that in this class. Where the slow will show up is defensively. I am expecting a bowl this year and then the step back next year. The bounce back for good in year 3!

Reaction Score
Not terribly enthused with the size even for speed guys. Just not seeing it, but then again Randy seems to find the guys and make them work (QB excepted). Got to trust another process...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming he meant Crocker, so I've awarded the "like"... ;)

Jesus...yes, that's who I meant. I don't think positional coaches matter. Coordinators can, and those two could have impacts. Lashlee because of who he is and where he came from, and Crocker more because of what he needs. My point on defense was essentially that I think it may be easier to find good players for his system, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the reason he was hired.

Reaction Score
Not terribly enthused with the size even for speed guys. Just not seeing it, but then again Randy seems to find the guys and make them work (QB excepted). Got to trust another process...
all of them look to have adequate height and good frames. we're not going to sign too many man-children in D1 shape right off the bat.

Reaction Score
Recap - click name to take to highlights:
  1. Kevon Jones (LB/SS) - East Hartford High School, East Hartford CT (UConn Commit 2/25/17) 6-2 210lb
  2. Dillon Harris (LB)- Cheshire Academy via Bloomfield CT (UConn Commit 4/5/17) 6-1 225lb
  3. Malik Xavier Banks (DB) - Howard High School, Wilmington Delaware (UConn Commit 6/15/17) 6-1 195lb
  4. Khyon Gillespie (RB/Safety) - Capital Prep Magnet School, Hartford CT (UConn Commit 6/16/17 6-1 175lb
  5. Hunter Webb (LB) - Loyalsock Township High School, Williamsport PA (UConn Commit 6/22/17) 6-1 205lb
  6. Oneil Robinson (WR/DB) - Capital Prep Magnet School, Hartford CT (UConn Commit 6/24/17) 6-3 180lbs
  7. Heron Maurisseau-ONeal (WR/DB) - St. Anthony's High School, Melville New York (UConn Commit 6/24/17) 6-0 170lb
  8. Jordan Morrison (WR/Athlete) - Steinert High School, Hamilton Twnshp/Trenton New Jersey (UConn Commit 6/25/17) 6-1 190lb

I went back and added the reported size for the recently graduated high school juniors from their original profiles...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I went back and added the reported size for the recently graduated high school juniors from their original profiles...

Which of these guys have camped under Edsall? I think matters quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Which of these guys have camped under Edsall? I think matters quite a bit.

I know that Gillespie, Robinson, Maurisseau and Webb attended recent Camps on campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom