2018 Recruiting Strategy So Far | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Strategy So Far

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would think JB Grimes will have say when it comes to lineman and what he likes to work with. I know HCRE has the final say but Grimes and Lashlee will be part of the process for sure. I would guess more quicker lineman who can block area unlike what we saw under Cummings and FHCBD

Reaction Score
lineman who can block area unlike what we saw under Cummings and FHCBD
You mean guys who couldn't block at all? If Cummings wasn't the worst oline coach in the game I don't know who would qualify. DeLeone was a jerk but at least he understood the concept.

Reaction Score
Not terribly enthused with the size even for speed guys. Just not seeing it, but then again Randy seems to find the guys and make them work (QB excepted). Got to trust another process...

I really don't give a damn about size at this point. We had two straight head coaches who were obsessed with size. Start with fast, add muscle later.

Reaction Score
I really don't give a damn about size at this point. We had two straight head coaches who were obsessed with size. Start with fast, add muscle later.

This. You can make people bigger. We had a series of NTs and DTs under Edsall who would play at 285 and up, who if you saw 2 years later didn't weigh an ounce over 240. You can teach people football skills. Trevardo Williams came here with none, and I still wish we had redshirted him because the amount by which he improved year to year was astounding. William Beatty came here without a position, and bounced back and forth between OL and DL for a while. But what you can't do is make people faster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This. You can make people bigger. We had a series of NTs and DTs under Edsall who would play at 385 and up, who if you saw 2 years later didn't weigh an ounce over 240. You can teach people football skills. Trevardo Williams came here with none, and I still wish we had redshirted him because the amount by which he improved year to year was astounding. William Beatty came here without a position, and bounced back and forth between OL and DL for a while. But what you can't do is make people faster.

Well, you can make people faster. It's just a lot less work to get bigger. Overall athletic ability is not teachable, though, so I get your point

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guys I love to see us land at this point that I think we have a real shot at:
-Travis Jones for OL/DL (has visited)
-Anthony Marinelli OL (has visited)
-Shamel Lazerus DB (has visited)
-Parker Devine DE (we have visited him at least once, maybe more)
-Xavier Smith (LB) (has visited) - would bring the beef to the LB position
-Jalin Cooper WR (has visited - making decision this week)

I also like Vincent Davis at DB who is rather explosive.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys I love to see us land at this point that I think we have a real shot at:
-Travis Jones for OL/DL (has visited)
-Anthony Marinelli OL (has visited)
-Shamel Lazerus DB (has visited)
-Parker Devine DE (we have visited him at least once, maybe more)
-Xavier Smith (LB) (has visited) - would bring the beef to the LB position
-Jalin Cooper WR (has visited - making decision this week)

I also like Vincent Davis at DB who is rather explosive.

Travis Jones is a very large human being, by the way. He's listed at 6'5" 350lbs. Stay home in CT, young man!!!

Reaction Score
This. You can make people bigger. We had a series of NTs and DTs under Edsall who would play at 285 and up, who if you saw 2 years later didn't weigh an ounce over 240. You can teach people football skills. Trevardo Williams came here with none, and I still wish we had redshirted him because the amount by which he improved year to year was astounding. William Beatty came here without a position, and bounced back and forth between OL and DL for a while. But what you can't do is make people faster.
Kendall Reyes also comes to mind. He came in here at 6-4 ish and 225 and later played close to 300.

Reaction Score
all of them look to have adequate height and good frames. we're not going to sign too many man-children in D1 shape right off the bat.
True.

Reaction Score

I liked your post and agree with everything but the last line. You absolutely can make people faster. It's difficult to add size and speed but it can be done. If you have the option to start with one or the other, start with speed.

Reaction Score
Anyone thinking that this rebuild in the AAC, with the mess created over the last 4 years, is going to be anything near easy needs to take a few year sabbatical. This is going to take time to dig out of. It may even be that this year is not awful, because with the last pre-HCVV class on the roster as seniors, good coaching might get us to mediocre, but after that this is going to take time. We are not, in the AAC and New England, going to be able to recruit kids who carry this program to winning records in their first two years. It's not possible and HCRE is not a quick fix kind of guy.
i agree and have said many times setting realistic expectations is important. And, I also agree this years is a total wild card, especially if you are using last year as the base. Diaco did win 6 games the year prior and had the program headed in the right direction despite his coaching deficiencies. This team quit on him at some point in the year which ultimately doomed the season and Diaco's tenure as HC. Does that team, plus or minus several key players, and hopefully an improved coaching staff drop even further than last year. I don't see it.

I think 5-6 wins and 1 win against a P5 would be a solid start for RE 2.0. Anything less and I think the average fan sees this as just another poor fb hire by the UConn AD.

Reaction Score
I liked your post and agree with everything but the last line. You absolutely can make people faster. It's difficult to add size and speed but it can be done. If you have the option to start with one or the other, start with speed.

Yes, you can make someone faster. But, in most instances, not dramatically faster. You can make people dramatically bigger and dramatically better.

Reaction Score
I would think JB Grimes will have say when it comes to lineman and what he likes to work with. I know HCRE has the final say but Grimes and Lashlee will be part of the process for sure. I would guess more quicker lineman who can block area unlike what we saw under Cummings and FHCBD

He likes tall big frame kids that are quick on their feet and he also likes kids he can put weight on HIS way., the kid that's way over 300++ pounds will have to lose some weight to be quick on their feet. I have no worries with what he's going to accomplish and have the utmost confidence in him.. trust me., he knows what he's doing with the OLine!

Reaction Score
i agree and have said many times setting realistic expectations is important. And, I also agree this years is a total wild card, especially if you are using last year as the base. Diaco did win 6 games the year prior and had the program headed in the right direction despite his coaching deficiencies. This team quit on him at some point in the year which ultimately doomed the season and Diaco's tenure as HC. Does that team, plus or minus several key players, and hopefully an improved coaching staff drop even further than last year. I don't see it.

I think 5-6 wins and 1 win against a P5 would be a solid start for RE 2.0. Anything less and I think the average fan sees this as just another poor fb hire by the UConn AD.
No, not necessarily! Sure W's matter, but why would RE not be given a 2nd year before passing judgement. There will be new schemes and the players he selects for recruiting are much different than Diano. Some players may adjust while others don't. I can't fault either one during year one - just my 2 cents. Also, I'd like to think I am more demanding than the average fan. After all, depending on the results of year #2 will have me looking forward to a season or hoping for luck and stating that after year 3he needs more W's than L's.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Outside of our state's borders I couldn't care less what the "average fan" thinks of our Football team until after year 4 of the RE2.0 era.

Reaction Score
It's always going to be tough recruiting against BC and now Cuse. We have to develop talent and build a junior/senior team. This is a 5 year rebuilding effort to get back to 7-5.

Reaction Score
It's always going to be tough recruiting against BC and now Cuse. We have to develop talent and build a junior/senior team. This is a 5 year rebuilding effort to get back to 7-5.
Your act is getting old. BC will always be competing for recruits with UConn until they can prove that they can be better than a cellar dweller of the ACC. P5 doesn't matter if the program is garbage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone thinking that this rebuild in the AAC, with the mess created over the last 4 years, is going to be anything near easy needs to take a few year sabbatical. This is going to take time to dig out of. It may even be that this year is not awful, because with the last pre-HCVV class on the roster as seniors, good coaching might get us to mediocre, but after that this is going to take time. We are not, in the AAC and New England, going to be able to recruit kids who carry this program to winning records in their first two years. It's not possible and HCRE is not a quick fix kind of guy.
I don't love this observation but I definitely don't disagree with it.

As fans we really need to temper our expectations for this season. That is tougher to do than I expected, because I like the staff and their approach to the game. My head tells that me it isn't reasonable to expect us to climb out of a hole it took six years to dig in in a single season, but my heart tells me that we will surprise some people this season.

CL82

Reaction Score
I agree. I'd also like to see players that are fundamentally sound. We had linemen who were too high to be effective getting beat play after play. That's something I expect to change this year. Football is a game of near infinite complexity, but the most brilliant schemes in world don't mean a thing if the team isn't fundamentally sound.

Reaction Score
Let's get some big uglies. If Randy has a gift, it's his ability to spot young offenive and defensive lineman and project their development into good college players.

Reaction Score
Sure the program needs time to build but anyone who thinks this current squad lacks the kind of talent to surprise people this year has not been paying attention. The feedback I've had is very telling about the impact poor coaching had on these kids. They have a lot to prove and these new coaches will put them in position to do it. Don't be surprised if we shock the football world, or at least the AAC--lol. Incidentally, word I have is that when Lashlee presented the QB's with video of defenses to break down and they were asked to explain the anticipated coverage and how they would react to several potential pre-snap shifts, all of them were better prepared and there was one QB who was scarily spot on with his calling out the coverage and immediately detailing how to counter any twists. This will be an exciting year to root for the Huskies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't love this observation but I definitely don't disagree with it.

As fans we really need to temper our expectations for this season. That is tougher to do than I expected, because I like the staff and their approach to the game. My head tells that me it isn't reasonable to expect us to climb out of a hole it took six years to dig in in a single season, but my heart tells me that we will surprise some people this season.

First, you wanted to check your hope, and now you want to temper your expectations?

I swear, it's like I don't even know you anymore... :eek:

Reaction Score
Let's get some big uglies. If Randy has a gift, it's his ability to spot young offenive and defensive lineman and project their development into good college players.

CL82

Reaction Score
First, you wanted to check your hope, and now you want to temper your expectations?

I swear, it's like I don't even know you anymore... :eek:
Lol, the past six years have been tough. Give me a chance to get some optimistic reports back from camp and I'm sure I'll come around.:p

C

Chief00

Good defensive lineman are the toughest get - they have to at least have a big strong frame, a motor and some decent feet. There's a lot more 6-1 guys than 6-4 dudes who can run.
Ultimately, a good front 3 will allow us to play the defensive scheme but without it the speed behind it will get buried and beat up by OL blocks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom