2018 New York Mets season thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 New York Mets season thread

Reaction Score
Mets look solid early. Could make a playoff run.

Cespedes is a beast and I like the Frazier signing. Key will be the starters other than Degrom and Syndergaard and the bullpen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Mets look solid early. Could make a playoff run.

Cespedes is a beast and I like the Frazier signing. Key will be the starters other than Degrom and Syndergaard and the bullpen.
The Nats are going to be a tough out. The series starting today should be telling.

Reaction Score
The Nats are going to be a tough out. The series starting today should be telling.

Nats are a different level on paper but never know....long season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nats are a different level on paper but never know....long season.
Yeah, I hate to root for injuries to other teams, but...on a similar note, I feel like that's how the rest of the AL East must feel about dealing with the Yankees batting lineup. Just filthy having to pitch to Stanton and Judge right out of the gates.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I hate to root for injuries to other teams, but...on a similar note, I feel like that's how the rest of the AL East must feel about dealing with the Yankees batting lineup. Just filthy having to pitch to Stanton and Judge right out of the gates.

Yankees lineup is ridiculous, especially with a healthy Bird. There potential bugaboo is starting pitching after Severino. But even that potential shortcoming is saved by fact their strong pen means starter only needs to go 6 innings. Tough team to beat ...

Reaction Score
Hard to question the hiring of Callaway so far, huh?

Reaction Score
I keep reminding myself that it's early so I'm trying not to get too excited, but banking series wins against the Nats and Phils is a great start. Middle relief has been huge.
Lugo as the long man has been a revelation. Wheeler gets a start this week, hopefully he does well and Seth stays where he's at.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lugo as the long man has been a revelation. Wheeler gets a start this week, hopefully he does well and Seth stays where he's at.
Lugo has been the MVP so far.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

having a guy who can go awhile and bail games out of tight spots is not only heaven sent - shades of Darren Oliver - but also critical for a questionable or otherwise unreliable rotation health wise. Harvey is looking like a guy who will go 5 at most (too early in season to say) so having guys like him and Gsellman - alongside a manager who actually knows how to use them - is such a positive change

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hard to question the hiring of Callaway so far, huh?

I haven't agreed with all of his moves, but most of them I have, and even the ones I haven't agreed with seem to have worked. The biggest thing is all of the bullpen pieces seem to embrace their new roles and aren't worried about being locked into a specific inning. Lugo and Gsellman in particular have been outstanding and could vault our bullpen into one of the best in baseball.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It’s the pen. They certainly are not tearing the cover off the ball. Good lord, the hapless twins behind the plate. Cal will get tited of TDA’s uselessness, especially on defense.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Man these guys are fun to watch.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I went from "this team is amazing" to "this team stinks" to "I'm blown away by their fight" all in the span of nine innings

All-too-early take: they need to pick up a C this June/July

Reaction Score
I went from "this team is amazing" to "this team stinks" to "I'm blown away by their fight" all in the span of nine innings

All-too-early take: they need to pick up a C this June/July
I think they'll be okay with the combined numbers of Plawecki and Darnaud. I mean if you could pick up a huge upgrade you do it, but otherwise they're keeping these guys fresh alternating them. A different approach to the "everyday catcher" sacred cow.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I think they'll be okay with the combined numbers of Plawecki and Darnaud. I mean if you could pick up a huge upgrade you do it, but otherwise they're keeping these guys fresh alternating them. A different approach to the "everyday catcher" sacred cow.

it's not the offensive business i'm worried about. in the first ten games (going back years as well) teams basically have had an automatic go sign if they have a guy on first with even moderate speed

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score

apparently C prospect Tomas Nido on his way to Miami tonight...unsure what it means

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Guess who I was talking about two years ago?

The guy is an above-average offensive catcher when healthy, but he's a china doll who has already spent too much time injured. And he has a rag arm so every walk and single is an instant double, meaning a man in scoring position. That, to me, is not what I envision for a MLB catcher.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
ra,unisex_tshirt,x2200,353d77:4d8b4ffd91,front-c,267,146,1000,1000-bg,f8f8f8.u3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom