2018 New York Mets season thread | The Boneyard

2018 New York Mets season thread

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hopefully this season turns out better than last. Syndergaard and deGrom obviously need to stay healthy, then we need one of Harvey, Matz, or Wheeler to stay healthy and pitch well before I feel good about our chances. I'm not optimistic about any of those three on their own, but hopefully one of them can step up.

I like the lineup; Frazier should be a pretty good addition, and I'm looking forward to what Amed Rosario can do in his first full season. I'm annoyed that they signed a washed-up Adrian Gonzalez when we could've brought Lucas Duda back on the cheap, but hopefully Dom Smith tears it up in April and they give him the starting job back soon into the year.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what these young arms in the bullpen bring to the table; we traded for almost exclusively young power arms last summer, so hopefully some of them step up and start to help us out this year: Rhame, Callahan, and Smith all have a chance to be in the big league bullpen at some point, along with Tyler Bashlor (not acquired in a trade, but was dominant in High-A/AA last year and has great stuff).

I just want the team to be competitive throughout the summer. So sick of the season being over in July when we're 15 games back. That can't happen this year! LGM!!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I'm still worried about the catching. Thought this was an interesting article about that in yesterday's NYT:

Better Pitching? Mets Think It’s in the Wrist, and the Preparation

That's a good read. Like the article says, catcher is the worst offensive position in baseball, so having two guys on the team that can each put up a league average OPS for the position means we're not really in bad shape there. And hopefully one of them can break out this year and put up bigger numbers than that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's a good read. Like the article says, catcher is the worst offensive position in baseball, so having two guys on the team that can each put up a league average OPS for the position means we're not really in bad shape there. And hopefully one of them can break out this year and put up bigger numbers than that.
Yeah I don't love the offense out of either one of them, but I'm far more concerned with their inability to throw runners out. When every walk or single is a the functional equivalent of a double, we start out putting a lot more guys in scoring position than we should.

Reaction Score
- Thor and deGrom look poised to be one of the best 1-2's in baseball.
- Cespedes is mashing the ball in spring training
- I like resigning Bruce and getting Frazier

My question marks.....
- When/if does Conforto contribute like an all star to this team?
- Will Rosario make a leap?
- What will we get from Matz/Harvey/Wheeler/insert spot starters here?
- Can Familia dominate the 9th again?

Reaction Score
Have a Met's story. 7/5/1993. Giants Mets, fireworks night. We got there early. Met the usher and asked if we could go down to the 3rd base boxes. When we told him why, his eyes teared up. We spread my dad's ashes on the 3rd base line.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have a Met's story. 7/5/1993. Giants Mets, fireworks night. We got there early. Met the usher and asked if we could go down to the 3rd base boxes. When we told him why, his eyes teared up. We spread my dad's ashes on the 3rd base line.
Grucci Brothers!

My father took me to a game at Shea on fireworks night in the mid-70s and to this day it's still the best fireworks experience I've ever had. They put on a great show. I've been a fireworks junkie for as long as I can remember, and I think that's when it started.

Very cool thing you did for your dad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Grucci Brothers!

My father took me to a game at Shea on fireworks night in the mid-70s and this day it's still the best fireworks experience I've ever had. They put on a great show. I've been a fireworks junkie for as long as I can remember, and I think that's when it started.

Very cool thing you did for your dad.

Same, 8893. A great college memory was driving up with a couple cars of friends, catching a game, then laying in the back of a flatbed pickup watching the fireworks over Shea. Maybe 1985?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You are a great son.

Reaction Score
AGon not washed up, his demise was greatly exaggerated. Saw it coming from a mile away.

Reaction Score
Why Matz instead of Harvey today???

Damn it, I was hoping Harvey put the hammer down for an opening series sweep today. I hope he does well but Matz doesn't inspire confidence in me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why Matz instead of Harvey today???

Damn it, I was hoping Harvey put the hammer down for an opening series sweep today. I hope he does well but Matz doesn't inspire confidence in me.
Harvey doesn't inspire confidence in me either though. Fingers crossed for tonight.

Reaction Score
Harvey doesn't inspire confidence in me either though. Fingers crossed for tonight.
I believe Harvey is gonna have a good year. Matz ALWAYS seems to implode the first time an ump squeezes him on a call. Maddening.

Reaction Score
Way too soon to credit Callaway, but Lugo and Gselman have been lights out through the first week.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Way too soon to credit Callaway, but Lugo and Gselman have been lights out through the first week.
Yeah we may have caught a break with that snow out, which allowed him to skip Lugo’s scheduled start. It would be a nice luxury to keep him on middle relief, which increasingly seems to be key for championship contenders.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Solid start on a cold night.

And Conforto should be back for the weekend. With how bad the Phillies and Marlins look, no reason for the Mets not to be thinking wild card.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I forgot today was a day game (and apparently shown exclusively on FB?), but I just checked the box score and see that Thor only went four innings. Anyone know what happened?

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
He threw 92 pitches in 4 innings -- don't think it was anything more than that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He threw 92 pitches in 4 innings -- don't think it was anything more than that.
Thanks. Sounds like a slog.

Amazing job from the pen so far though!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Been watching the replay of the FB live broadcast on SNY for the last hour or so. Not a good broadcast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom