2018 Coach Chill expectations | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2018 Coach Chill expectations

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Again, Calhoun would not have retired if Dre came back. It had nothing to do with Roscoe.
Saying something that's both irrelevant & self-evident once is enough, not to belabor that this is an Assistant Coach expectations thread that has already morphed into discussion of Head Coaches. Stick to your strengths, not your obsessions.

Reaction Score
Chief - I did not realize that I needed to spell out everything for you, since you have been around for almost as long as I have, but here goes:

I obviously was referring to: Alex Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith and Michael Bradley. We were talking about 2008 to 2012 (Calhoun's last year) and the aftermath of the APR ban and the NCAA recruiting violations for which we were punished that happened under Calhoun's watch; including the 3 aforementioned transfers. 2 of which were starters and integral parts of our team at the time, including the 2011 National Championship. Those transfers combined with the recruiting restrictions thanks to the Nate Miles/Josh Nochimson illegal agent incident caused serious depth issues in our front court through 2015.

All of that under Calhoun... zero responsibility to Ollie. All of that combined to hurt our longer term depth (particularly in the front court), which played substantial roles in our 2012-2013 through 2014-2015 and could even make the case for the 2015-2016 season.

I was not referring to Enoch, Jackson and Durham in my post. As I have stated in previous posts in other threads, those are Ollie's responsibility. You are mixing the two situations up.

I am a die hard Uconn Fan for almost 30 years. I decided to join this forum to give my 2 cents. Lstudfellow is on the right path with his observation in my opinion. Coach Jim Calhoun is the Greatest college coach and father figure to his players in opinion. I think most of you are forgetting that the last few years of Coach Calhoun tenure was full of Negative recruiting. Coaches were using his health, age, APR, and the ban against him. I remember vividly having this discussion with Coach Jay Wright about this. We didn't had the same quantity of quality recruits his last few years. Deandre Daniels and Andre Drummond was pure luck. We were hoping Omar Calhoun didn't de-commit. Most of us was wondering then how did we come to settle for a Phil Nolan (no pun intended). Coach Ollie was the best person for the the job following coach Calhoun. Miraculously he won a Chamionship with the roster he had. He is still paying the price for the last few years of the greatest college coach of all time era.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson
Top Bottom