2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2017 recruits: Who is UConn still pursuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think they are different players. Young is a flat out scorer, Walker is really passive so you won't see her put up large number like young. Young is also a defensive stopper which makes her even more complete. ND may have a championship soon..still don't understand why they aren't recruiting a big.
Do you think Walker looks "really passive" in that video you posted above? She threw in 87 pts. in two 32 minute games against Monacan's rival, Cosby HS this season. I'd hate to catch her when she's less passive. I have a feeling she may just kind of cruise until her coach says "Sic 'em".

Reaction Score
Do you think Walker looks "really passive" in that video you posted above? She threw in 87 pts. in two 32 minute games against Monacan's rival, Cosby HS this season. I'd hate to catch her when she's less passive. I have a feeling she may just kind of cruise until her coach says "Sic 'em".

Walker will not always shine the brightest in terms of individual statistics.......she plays within the system.........she is not a freelancer...............she can score or at east get to the foul line anytime she wants but chooses to only when needed

Reaction Score
I think they are different players. Young is a flat out scorer, Walker is really passive so you won't see her put up large number like young. Young is also a defensive stopper which makes her even more complete. ND may have a championship soon..still don't understand why they aren't recruiting a big.
Why isn't she ranked higher?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Smith's AAU team put out a tweet a week ago saying UConn called to inform them of recruiting intentions. Didn't say which player(s).

Reaction Score
Hey lay off!!.....we haven't had an All-American guard at UConn in.........3 weeks?
I thought that both Muffet and Geno were focusing on -----get this---basketball players!!! I guess you'll have to wait until next fall to have 2 more All Americans on Uconn WBB team---Kia (Canadian All North American), Gabby or Collier, and/or Katie Lou

Reaction Score

I understand your points on other issues but not on this. Both player's are going to be wings aren't they? . If your saying Young is a better scorer and a better defensive stopper and your only saying that Walker is passive it sounds like Young in your opinion has the higher ceiling. (you replied to me on a post with two positive statements for Young and no positive statements for the number 1 ranked recruit Walker in 2017. You then called her passive - a negative statement about Walker's game. .) That's fine but you didn't say it. I don't agree with you that you can't compare wing players. Why? I'm not looking to argue that you think one is better but not being able to compare wings is a similar statement is like saying you can't compare LeBron James to Paul George because they play differently. But you can- they are both wings that move to different positions. These two kids play like wings don't they?

I like your other posts but this post really makes me question everything else you are saying. I don't mean to be mean. Why didn't you just say you think Young has the higher ceiling? You called the number 1 h/s recruit for 2017 "passive" when the question was strictly about who had the higher ceiling. I appreciate you other post but something is amiss here. DO you think Walker is overrated as the number 1 or number h/s player in 2017? DO you think Young was very underrated for the 2016 class? It just seems you opened up the door big time digging on Walker and building up Young. Maybe Walker is overrated and maybe Young was underrated. I don't know. I just don't buy the "they are different" as having nay meaning just like George ANd LeBron are different. Or compare LeBron to Dramond Green etc. Anyone can say LBJ is better / and he has the higher ceiling even though they are different.

Reaction Score
I understand your points on other issues but not on this. Both player's are going to be wings aren't they? . If your saying Young is a better scorer and a better defensive stopper and your only saying that Walker is passive it sounds like Young in your opinion has the higher ceiling. (you replied to me on a post with two positive statements for Young and no positive statements for the number 1 ranked recruit Walker in 2017. You then called her passive - a negative statement about Walker's game. .) That's fine but you didn't say it. I don't agree with you that you can't compare wing players. Why? I'm not looking to argue that you think one is better but not being able to compare wings is a similar statement is like saying you can't compare LeBron James to Paul George because they play differently. But you can- they are both wings that move to different positions. These two kids play like wings don't they?

I like your other posts but this post really makes me question everything else you are saying. I don't mean to be mean. Why didn't you just say you think Young has the higher ceiling? You called the number 1 h/s recruit for 2017 "passive" when the question was strictly about who had the higher ceiling. I appreciate you other post but something is amiss here. DO you think Walker is overrated as the number 1 or number h/s player in 2017? DO you think Young was very underrated for the 2016 class? It just seems you opened up the door big time digging on Walker and building up Young. Maybe Walker is overrated and maybe Young was underrated. I don't know. I just don't buy the "they are different" as having nay meaning just like George ANd LeBron are different. Or compare LeBron to Dramond Green etc. Anyone can say LBJ is better / and he has the higher ceiling even though they are different.

Many believe Young is going to have a huge impact at ND next year..............she has the ability to get her own shot, she has great floor vision and is a lock down defender. Is she better then Megan Walker? Who knows!!

I think they will both have great collegiate careers and in MW's case, I hope it happens in a UConn uniform.:)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Young looked really good in the first HS AA game. She was a non-factor in the second one.

Reaction Score
Many believe Young is going to have a huge impact at ND next year....she has the ability to get her own shot, she has great floor vision and is a lock down defender. Is she better then Megan Walker? Who knows!!

I think they will both have great collegiate careers and in MW's case, I hope it happens in a UConn uniform.:)

Thank you!! Can I ask you a few questions? I'm assuming you saw both live?

1-- Would you say Young has a higher ceiling than Walker (not saying who is better) only who do you think has more potential to be great?

2-- Does Walker have an ability to get her own shot?

3-- Does Walker have great floor vision?

4--- Is Walker a lock down defender? If her fg% isn't so hot - she would have to be regarded as an outstanding defender, wouldn't she in order to be mainly regarded as the number 1 recruit? Unless she is overrated?

5--- If Walker isn't 2 or 3 or 4 above then why is she regarded as the number 1 (or at worst 2/3/4/5) recruit? She would need to be really, really super at something - so what would it be?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

1-- Would you say Young has a higher ceiling than Walker (not saying who is better) only who do you think has more potential to be great?

4--- Is Walker a lock down defender? If her fg% isn't so hot - she would have to be regarded as an outstanding defender, wouldn't she in order to be mainly regarded as the number 1 recruit? Unless she is overrated?

5--- If Walker isn't 2 or 3 or 4 above then why is she regarded as the number 1 (or at worst 2/3/4/5) recruit? She would need to be really, really super at something - so what would it be?
yes, no, maybe, possibly, and unlikely, but not necessarily in that order. :)

Reaction Score

1. I've seen Walker live several times, have not seen Young live but have seen her numerous times (complete games) on video,
2.Absolutely
3. Absolutely
4. Very good defender, from what I have seen not as physical as Young
5. She does everything very well, she grades out as high as anyone in her class, some prefer Boothe, a few prefer Richards , somebody has to be number one, why not her?

Reaction Score

Young is really underrated in my opinion but I do think there games a different. More so like Lebron and Durant.......they are both small forwards but I think there games are totally different. Durant is probably one of the best scorers we have ever seen, where as lbj is more of the complete basketball player. It pretty much based on preference at that point. I hope I was able to explain what I meant, and if I didn't I do apologize and I will try again from a different angle.

Reaction Score
Young is really underrated in my opinion but I do think there games a different. More so like Lebron and Durant..they are both small forwards but I think there games are totally different. Durant is probably one of the best scorers we have ever seen, where as lbj is more of the complete basketball player. It pretty much based on preference at that point. I hope I was able to explain what I meant, and if I didn't I do apologize and I will try again from a different angle.

thank you very much. I appreciate your sharing. The videos too - everything. Many of us are hungry for this and the fact you go out and do it is awesome. And please don't mind me-- all I am is inquisitive. Not meant at all to be anything other than inquisitive. So---

I just don't understand your posts here on this subject. When I asked who had the higher ceiling - you spoke of "They are different."

Well first off- they don't seem different at all. What makes then different? The fact she only scored 8 points three times in AAU? I hope that’s not your reason.

They’re both big time athletes and big time scorers and can beat their defender off the dribble and are terrific defenders that play the wing positions. They both rely on their quickness and ball handling to score quite a bit, right? They both can also shoot it but their quickness for both is awesome for their size, right?

They seem to try to do the same things on the floor – so it isn’t different, is it?

That’s why I don’t understand – even when you mention LeBron vs Durant. Can’t we just say LeBron has had the higher ceiling even though they are different? So why can’t you say Walker and Young play same style but you feel one does it better and has a higher ceiling?

Reaction Score
You both have made great observations and points about these special players. I would also add one and that is that these top players all seem to share a mental trait that great players in other sports have as well. For the majority of players, the game can be very fast and hectic. For the elite players, the game can seem to be slow moving. Their minds can seem to be two plays ahead of everybody on the floor and they are able to make adjustments and maneuver at their own pace. Add in above average instincts and coordination and you've got an elite player. As Bill Parcells would say, "They just get it".
2 plays ahead is a trait Geno associated with DT and Maya. I am sure most of the great players can see plays developing and know from experience what comes next.
Even me as a terrible player, mediocre, but played a lot--saw plays developing. Experience and wanting to know has a lot to do with it.

Reaction Score
Young is really underrated in my opinion but I do think there games a different. More so like Lebron and Durant..they are both small forwards but I think there games are totally different. Durant is probably one of the best scorers we have ever seen, where as lbj is more of the complete basketball player. It pretty much based on preference at that point. I hope I was able to explain what I meant, and if I didn't I do apologize and I will try again from a different angle.

Sounded good to me!! LeBron is a bigger, probably stronger---Durant is more finess--different types. Got to like them both

Reaction Score
Thanks and not surprising. The human organism is a complex collaboration that uses a consortium of schemes for learning. Interestingly when one modality is blocked or even destroyed the mind/body will form a new schemata using totally different intelligences, different techniques to achieve the same or sometimes enhanced goals. Hence the previous gnosis can be reattained or strengthened.

I had to get out my medical dictionary to understand this --eventually I was able to mostly agree--dedicated people will find a way to work around a handicap, or deficiency. Intellect of those that care to use it increases --but all humans lose brain cells starting in their 30's. If body parts are destroyed, or hearing or sight don't expect them to come back we just work around those and compensate.

Reaction Score
JORD: your good thoughts, especially about pathways, do seem to relate to one discovery that does seem to be well researched and supported: the more modalities (used here in terms of the senses, such as visual, auditory, etc) that are involved in the process of learning, the more powerful/effective that particular learning experience seems to be. For example if you see " 2 +2 = 4" and also hear it, you will be more likely to remember the answer than you would have been if just a single sense had been involved.
In 1910 when 34 of the existing 40 something states had mandatory education, even then, they knew to use : See , Hear, do--and rote. Repetitive teaching is boring, if not done properly, but effective --even Geno uses rote.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had to get out my medical dictionary to understand this --eventually I was able to mostly agree--dedicated people will find a way to work around a handicap, or deficiency. Intellect of those that care to use it increases --but all humans lose brain cells starting in their 30's. If body parts are destroyed, or hearing or sight don't expect them to come back we just work around those and compensate.
Of course. The human brain/body through all of its flexibility is a finite organism. Ultimately no matter how many different schemes or intelligences it has at its disposal it will fall into decrepitude. I've said it before, but time is the world greatest thief. It will take everything you hold dear. Then finally for some, it takes our dignity.

Reaction Score
I'm always amazed when I see these kind of recruiting stories........

Sabrina Ionescu, named the MVP of the McDonald’s All-America game, is expected to choose between UW and Oregon this month. She would be the highest-ranked recruit to ever join the UW women’s basketball program.

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 4h4 hours ago
Two sources tell me that Kelly Sopak has an offer to join Mike Neighbors’ UW staff. Sopak is Sabrina Ionescu’s HS/AAU coach. Coincidence?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm always amazed when I see these kind of recruiting stories...

Sabrina Ionescu, named the MVP of the McDonald’s All-America game, is expected to choose between UW and Oregon this month. She would be the highest-ranked recruit to ever join the UW women’s basketball program.

Raoul ‏@Raoul_000 4h4 hours ago
Two sources tell me that Kelly Sopak has an offer to join Mike Neighbors’ UW staff. Sopak is Sabrina Ionescu’s HS/AAU coach. Coincidence?
It has been rumored for a while - Neighbors lost his assistants who took head coaching jobs elsewhere so it is definitely not him 'manufacturing' an opening as some coaches have done. And Sopak has a pretty impressive resume so not a 'surprise' hire either.

Reaction Score
  1. CjJRUCeVEAEJ06g.jpg

36 retweets50 likes
  2. Christyn Williams Retweeted
    Texas United Nike™ ‏@coachjustin22 14h14 hours ago
    Want to wish @Lexi_g34 @christyn2000 @J_Ollie33 GOOD LUCK as they head to USA Trials
    1f1fa-1f1f8.png
    #doWORKnation #BringYourGame

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is taller than collier when they stand next to each other. Smith is a player....smith stands underneath the rim and can jump and grab it. She is as close to Stew as any player out there. Smith out played the front court of collier and jade Williams by herself. Cy fair ended up switching Richards on to smith to slow her down.

2018 Texas post
Smith
Prince
Collier
Queen Egbo
Cate Reese

In that order from my opinion.but all are top 20 kids.

Thanks for the heads up on Nalyssa Smith. SF like ball handling and shooting skills, post size, upper tier athleticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom