2017 Recruiting Thread | Page 59 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So to the extent they are still able to, we still may have some surprises come signing day. :)

Through all previous regimes - we have always had NLI day surprises. I would expect nothing different.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Did you watch the video or read the story???
Brady 2*
Big Ben 3*
Ryan 3* (UConn offer)
Rodgers 2* (5'10, 165 -- coming out of high school)

I think the point they're making is that ALL four weren't highly regarded coming out of high school. Brady became a great QB, after he left Michigan. It's not like he lit it up in college.

This is one of the things that rankles Brady to this day, and the reason we all need to ignore star ratings. Here are his stats his two years starting at Michigan.

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Michigan Big Ten QB 12 200 323 61.9 2427 7.5 7.0 14 10 133.1
1999 Michigan Big Ten QB 11 180 295 61.0 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138.0

1998 Team was 10-3, finished the year ranked 12th. Won the Citrus bowl over #11 Arkansas.
1999 team was 10-2, won the Orange Bowl over #5 Alabama. Final ranking #5.
Yet both years the fans wanted Drew Henson, who was a freshman in 1998, but a 5* I believe. So Carr let Henson play now and then. In 1998 Henson completed 42% of his passes, and in 1999 51%. Yards per attempt lower than Brady and a higher interception rate. Brady was damned good at Michigan, but used the doubts to fuel himself to do even more in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Through all previous regimes - we have always had NLI day surprises. I would expect nothing different.
I would be surprised if there were as many under BD or PP as under RE1.0. That seemed to be a trademark of his.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there were as many under BD or PP as under RE1.0. That seemed to be a trademark of his.

Out of curiosity, how many late signees became impact players? I never really followed recruiting until a couple years ago

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how many late signees became impact players? I never really followed recruiting until a couple years ago
Now THAT is a Medic question! lol Don't know how many came in late, but RE had a real knack for identifying skill players who weren't widely known. Many of these "diamonds" became impact players for us under his development.

Reaction Score
Now THAT is a Medic question! lol Don't know how many came in late, but RE had a real knack for identifying skill players who weren't widely known. Many of these "diamonds" became impact players for us under his development.

Recruiting coverage has changed significantly since the early to mid RE1.0 days. There will always be the kid from Wherethefugarewe High School that nobody knows about and excels (especially in the Northeast or fringe urban areas). I think just w/ the geographic background change of the new staff - surprises this year may trend higher than past years but they have occurred under PP and BD and more often in the first year of the staffs.

Reaction Score
From the Rhule-Saulin picture, the NYC-born and State College, PA-raised Rhule may have purchased his first pair of cowboy boots. Fish out of water or Martian crash landing on earth, looks like Rhule's working hard on fitting in to Wacky Waco. For Saulin or most Joisey or northeastern kids, talk about culture shock waiting to happen in one bizarro town!

I've met Matt on several occasions. He's truly a great guy, and about as blue collar PA Bred as it gets. That said for the contract Baylor gave him, I'd wear a cowboy hat, have a six shooter on my hip, and ride a horse on my recruiting visits. As for Saulin I do agree that the transition to a religious university in Waco, Texas could be a very difficult one. Honestly surprised he didn't opt for RU.

Reaction Score
As for Saulin I do agree that the transition to a religious university in Waco, Texas could be a very difficult one. Honestly surprised he didn't opt for RU.

In the end, I don't believe that Saulin had an offer from Rutgers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Gerrik Vollmer (@GerrikVollmer)
1/23/17, 6:42 PM
Really excited about my 4th Scholarship offer from Uconn! #GoHuskies pic.twitter.com/mOWN3s8IW
Do they read this board for ideas? :eek:
He should jump on it, stay local and not bother with making the move to Philly for Temple. And yes, I understand he is a German national.
Gerrik Vollmer on Hudl

Vollmer is a 6-5 280lb OL from the Taft School in Watertown CT. Born in Germany, attended school in West Virginia then to Taft). Decommitted from Louisville back in the beginning of December. Other offers from Temple and UMass

Reaction Score
Vollmer is a 6-5 280lb OL from the Taft School in Watertown Born in Germany, attended school in West Virginia then to Taft). Decommitted from Louisville back in the beginning of December. Other offers from Temple and UMass

Was the Temple offer given when Rhule was still therE?

Reaction Score
After Rhule left.
So this could be a dog fight to the finish to earn this kids commitment. He seems excited about the UConn offer. Let's hope the staff can secure a commitment. Hurting for big bodies.

Reaction Score
So this could be a dog fight to the finish to earn this kids commitment. He seems excited about the UConn offer. Let's hope the staff can secure a commitment. Hurting for big bodies.

If we get this big German to campus, they need to get Knappe attached to him at the hip, talking about going from European with little experience to pro prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom