2017 Commit #4- Ryan Dickens (Hazlet, NJ) - Decommitted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ryan Dickens@ryan_Dickens33 2 hours ago
Great home visit today from Coach Diaco and Coach Brown #Uconn #HuskyUp
20.jpg

Reaction Score
Not a picture you'd expect from a coach getting fired anytime soon. Oh well.

You also wouldn't expect a guy who professed his undying love for UConn to go shopping his services after 2-10 and 6-7 seasons.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Good luck to Ryan. You hate to see the fall out with new coaching staffs, but it's probably best for everyone if he finds the right situation for him. Better to do this now than 1 or 2 years in.

It should be interesting to see how many commits RE will get this year. The fact that RE said he will leave slots open if necessary is good to hear. Any commits that come in now aren't space fillers.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't want to read into the comment too much, but thanks to the "old staff" is an interesting way to put things.

Reaction Score
... or, lukewarm interest from current coaches, or offer simply retracted? Any of the 3 could apply; regardless, good luck to Ryan.
I don't want to read into the comment too much, but thanks to the "old staff" is an interesting way to put things.

Assuming this is related...

CoachBrown59 ‏@CoachVBrown59 3h 3 hours ago
When there is a late coaching change and the new staff pulls scholarship of committed kid weeks before signing day; that's just wrong.

It's the dark side of CFB business/recruiting.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
... or, lukewarm interest from current coaches, or offer simply retracted? Any of the 3 could apply; regardless, good luck to Ryan.
I was wondering the same thing. Not knowing how things work with verbal commits when a new coaching staff comes in, I was wondering if the new staff may not have reached out to him yet and therefore was sending him a message by not doing so, and whether they were even obligated to reach out to verbal commits right away. However it happened, it's likely the best outcome for Ryan and any other verbal commits this pertains to.

Reaction Score
He didn't say he was committing to someone else or that he wouldn't consider UConn. Perhaps he'll be back in the fold after looking at his options. I will say that in that picture with Diaco and Brown he sure doesn't look like a guy that weighs 210. If he's got good football instincts and technique that 's not a big deal, but he'll probably need a year or two to bulk up.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

When there is a late coaching change and the new staff pulls scholarship of committed kid weeks before signing day; that's just wrong.

If this comment relates to Ryan, or any other commit like him, I'd remind coach Brown that honor works both ways. Kids de-commit all the time, as we're seeing. What matters is both parties being honest with each other and hopefully finding the best fit for each.

Reaction Score

I tend to agree. Granted, kids bail after giving verbals all the time, and that leaves a school in a tough position where they've stopped recruiting a position. But it just seems much worse when a kid stops talking to or showcasing himself to other D1 programs and loses a scholarship. It looks like this kid's other options were much lower level so he may not have any other options, and even getting in to other schools academically at this point is tough. It's how the system works, so I'm not saying RE shouldn't pull an offer, but it doesn't make it pleasant. I'm sure it's tough for the staff to make the call to the kid. Good luck to the kid.

Reaction Score
If this comment relates to Ryan, or any other commit like him, I'd remind coach Brown that honor works both ways. Kids de-commit all the time, as we're seeing. What matters is both parties being honest with each other and hopefully finding the best fit for each.

I'd rather the new staff be up front with the kid if they don't think he's going to play.

Reaction Score
When there is a late coaching change and the new staff pulls scholarship of committed kid weeks before signing day; that's just wrong. It's the dark side of CFB business/recruiting.
Not that retracting an offer necessarily applies in this situation, but what's the likelihood Brown's coached with any college program which never pulled offers? Low, or extremely low? Regardless of a coaching change or not, the CFB business/recruiting coin obviously has 2 sides. People don't have to like it, but both players and coaches encounter and experience less positives aspects of recruiting, initial offers, purported commitments, late flips, etc.

Reaction Score
He didn't say he was committing to someone else or that he wouldn't consider UConn. Perhaps he'll be back in the fold after looking at his options. I will say that in that picture with Diaco and Brown he sure doesn't look like a guy that weighs 210. If he's got good football instincts and technique that 's not a big deal, but he'll probably need a year or two to bulk up.
Said he was wrestling at 195#

Reaction Score
Maybe, but they should have never given this kid a scholarship, I honestly think this was Diaco helping out a friend or something. Show Edsall basically fixed it and was honest about it it sounds.

Reaction Score
A shift in defensive systems has the greatest impact on LBs and small DEs. At 6' 2" 215 Diaco may have had him projected as an ILB, but in Crocker's 3-3-5 he may not have the size for ILB or pass rushing DE, or the speed for OLB. Sometimes skills don't match system.

Coaches are being honest with players. If I were a player I would want that rather than committing with no chance of seeing the field.

Reaction Score
Exactly. This kind of stuff happens everywhere in big boy football. It sucks but recruiting can be ugly.

Exactly and more..... best wishes to the young lad !

Changeovers in coaching make a "dream school" a second thought.
REMEMBER !!!! This board was in a big time flap over a commit "supposedly not getting a call from former HCBD. Remember Rob Saulin from Pennsville NJ just outside Philly. He de-committed
from UCONN and committed to Temple on 11/29. Well, with the changeover at Temple-he de-committed from Temple, his dream school on 1/6/17.... just sayin'...... works and cuts both ways.

A full four year ride is worth, depending on the school, anywhere from $120k to $240k to the athlete over a 4 year period.
Wrong choices by the coaches could cost those coaches and schools millions later on down the road.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Get Diaco in a P5 and he will be slaying our northeast competitors when it comes to recruiting. Get a P5 patch on this guys UConn sweater and just sit back and enjoy.

Love that guy.

Haha, just saw this. We all have regrets in life though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom