2016 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good stuff.

I think my floor expectation is 7 wins. Upward growth into the 9-10 win range if things break perfectly.

Toughest game of the year is at Houstion. Short week, road game, they want revenge, etc. If we keep that competitive late, I'll be incredibly optimistic about our season going forward.

Game that scares me most is at Navy. Yes I know they have had huge roster turnover. But we have historically struggled against the triple option. The only time I remember our D playing well against it was last year against Army...and we still narrowly squeaked out a win against a bad team. I agree that I'd rather play them in week 2 than week 10 though.

Game that I am most optimistic about that I probably shouldn't be is at USF. Our games are ALWAYS close, regardless of record. I expect another game with 1 score late in the game. On the road, that's all you can ask for if you want to win against a tough opponent. I think we have a chance to D up in a big spot and pull one out. I might change my mind once the season starts and if I see USF rolling early.

Game that I won't be able to sleep all week because I am way too excited for is at Boston College. I'll just leave it at that because I think 100% of this board feels the same way.

Game that I think we will play with "revenge head" is a tie between Cincinnati and Temple. Both of these teams have owned us in recent years. We get both at home and with a quick start to the season, should have good crowds for both games. Maybe even a night flex kickoff time for one or both. I expect the gray unis for one of these games. Maybe both.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
7 is the low acceptable number. Unless the turnover margin reverses itself from last season that should be a rather easy number to beat.

Reaction Score
7 is the low acceptable number. Unless the turnover margin reverses itself from last season that should be a rather easy number to beat.

This statement necessarily means that if we go 6-6 you want Diaco replaced . . .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What frightens me a tad is even a return to mean on turnovers would yield drastically different results.

Reaction Score
What frightens me a tad is even a return to mean on turnovers would yield drastically different results.

Interceptions are a better indication of skill/scheme. But we had a number of plays last year where the opposition just dropped the ball. We can't count on those types of plays this time around.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Nice read and agree with most of it except I think we'll pull out 7 wins minimum. I'm optimistic we get 8.

Reaction Score
OK OK

No credit for the unknown.

I think my sense is there are a lot of blind spots. First, I give a lot of credit to Vechery and Rutherford; we have depth in those two - and that is a lot different from what we have had in the last 4 years. And on the Defensive Line, beyond Marinan, you have a solid core of RFR/RSO coming to the field at once: Atkins, Lawley, Okounam, Murphy. You can't go both ways. We thought highly of some of these kids when they first arrived. I expect that they can PLAY. Balis had his two years. Now let's see. My sense is that we have seen quite a few DLinemen get better in the latter years than the OLine. Second, I think we are more solid at LBs (Walsh, Joseph, Levenberry on the interior; Diggs + the Carrezola/Stapelton/Ormsby combo). A lot more talent across the second tier of the Defense. Third, Summers and Williams are better than OK Corners. A rising John Robinson is desperately needed. I agree on Melonfonwu. And we are going to miss Adams. That Safety spot is the most glaring neon spot on the Depth chart; my true hope is that Poindexter (who was an outstanding Safety at UVA) has groomed the competitors in Watkins and McAllister. Fourth, Receivers beyond Noel Thomas is a sincere hope. Both Beals and Mayala LOOK the part; and that has not always been the case. I can think of quite a few guys that we put on the field that just did not show lightning. Both those kids look like they can really rise. Both Bloom and Myers should be in their Prime as College TEs; both - injury free - should have solid production all year. Yes, we had a bunch of kids that we thought should be productive TEs; now we need the former QB and the MMA star to step up. Fifth, we have to be better at RB. Those OLine should give us far more opportunity. And Vickers and Hopkins SHOULD BE better than DiLorenzo (2.8 ypc) and Marriner (1.8 ypc) in a rotation.

Depth? I think this is just two guys looking at the same Roster in very different ways. It is year 3. Many many kids are rising right now. I would be surprised if a good half dozen aren't truly solid.

Your Predictions Game by Game?

I also think UVA will be very tough. Lots of talent that have arrived under London with a good solid HC. (*hmmm that also was Tom Herman taking over for Levine)

UCF, Syracuse, East Carolina, Tulane, Maine will have bumpy years with a new regime; good for us.

Navy will be down. Can we get up for our First Away game? I believe.

Temple and Cincinnati are known quality; both will take our very best to win.

BC should be a mess in November.

Houston is just going to be a real challenge; but we might fly into there with a solid D and a ton of confidence.

And ... I simply don't buy that USF will be some formidable Goliath. We can beat them there; we have the capacity to shut their Offense down.

That leaves the Shirreffs. Obviously, we need him very healthy for all 12 of these. I think we can sneak beyond 6 wins to 8. I count 6 quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom