2016 Recruiting Thread | Page 41 | The Boneyard

2016 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
saw Nate Hopkins linked to us at 247 sports.. they seem to know what's what with who the most

Reaction Score
saw Nate Hopkins linked to us at 247 sports.. they seem to know what's what with who the most

IMO - they also tend to be the most inaccurate in the long run w/ that crystal ball gimmick and no real content control for non-marque programs. Some of the targets have 41 predictions from experts. LOL

Scout has Hopkins w/ 7 offers in the late summer. Boise State, Illinois, Houston, Kansas, Army, Navy, and Louisiana-Monroe

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO - they also tend to be the most inaccurate in the long run w/ that crystal ball gimmick and no real content control for non-marque programs. Some of the targets have 41 predictions from experts. LOL

Scout has Hopkins w/ 7 offers in the late summer. Boise State, Illinois, Houston, Kansas, Army, Navy, and Louisiana-Monroe
Any idea who on staff covers Texas or parts of it?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Any idea who on staff covers Texas or parts of it?

Don Patterson is from Texas originally and started his career on staff at UNT. Kevin Wolthausen spent a couple of years at Oklahoma in the 90s, so he probably has some familiarity with that area as well.

Reaction Score
Hope we can get Douglas Tucker and his teammate Xavier Suggs in for an official too... Would be nice to bring in a few TX kids in a recruiting class instead of one every now and again.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A pair of RBs are sorely needed. Absolutely need two in this class.

We also could use 3 more on the OL. I have no reason to believe what so ever that the current redshirting OL recruits will bring anything to the table next year. I am so desperate, I'll take juco OL and transfers.

Reaction Score

We also could use 3 more on the OL. I have no reason to believe what so ever that the current redshirting OL recruits will bring anything to the table next year. I am so desperate, I'll take juco OL and transfers.
Agreed... but you can't even forget about the current redshirt frosh and redshirt sophmores on OL... you gotta wonder what light is at the end of the tunnel with those kids. Will they develop into kids that might be able to take one of our current linemen's spots? because what we have now (if anybody here's being honest) it's a below average to average OL...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Just curious what your reason(s) to believe whatsoever that the current redshirting OL recruits won't bring anything to the table next year. By definition they have had zero exposure (unless they true sophs) in actual game play. On what do you base your opinion?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just curious what your reason(s) to believe whatsoever that the current redshirting OL recruits won't bring anything to the table next year. By definition they have had zero exposure (unless they true sophs) in actual game play. On what do you base your opinion?
I have no inside information. All I know is that O-Line has been bad for a long while and if there was anything above avg red shirting right now I think we would hear about it from the coaching staff talking up practice. Plus, this OL is so bad, if anyone could contribute already they would be out there. Conversely, because we are steady at LB and Corner, I have far more faith that the FR/redshirt players at those positions have upside. Last point, not to make a big deal about recruiting services, but none of the recent OL kids had great rating reviews or frankly that great of high school film. Yes, we had Zack Hurd - but what have we done since then....

So, I am not cheering against anyone on the squad now, but I am most interested in seeing more promising prospects come in.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agreed... but you can't even forget about the current redshirt frosh and redshirt sophmores on OL... you gotta wonder what light is at the end of the tunnel with those kids. Will they develop into kids that might be able to take one of our current linemen's spots? because what we have now (if anybody here's being honest) it's a below average to average OL...
The current OL is thoroughly below avg at all 5 positions. And I don't think it improved much during the year. Instead the QB and RBs got better at their jobs. Per my other post, there just is little reason to believe what is on the shelf for next year is a step up. I want more bodies.

Reaction Score
Cespedes just started playing football jr year in HS ,might have to wait until his third year here. Peart made the 2 deep but was withheld.

Reaction Score
Crozier will be back after being injured this year. He was on the preseason watch list for the Rimington Trophy

Husky25

Reaction Score
The current OL is thoroughly below avg at all 5 positions. And I don't think it improved much during the year. Instead the QB and RBs got better at their jobs. Per my other post, there just is little reason to believe what is on the shelf for next year is a step up. I want more bodies.

You are laying former "Coach" Pasqualoni's shortfalls in development at the feet of Coach Diaco.

Peart has been on the Two-Deep at Left Tackle all year weighing 265 lbs. Cespedes is 6'-7" but entered his freshman year well below 3 bills as well. Neither has sniffed the field because they are not up to size. Lee is playing only because there is a need at Tight End.

For John Q. Couch Potato, gaining 35 lbs. in a year is pretty easy, but if those 35lbs have to be mostly muscle and a player has not instinctually learned how to move with that extra weight, it needs to be developed.

I agree that OL needs to be addressed in this recruiting class, if for nothing else but the attrition factor, but absent a concrete, "reason to believe what so ever that the current redshirting OL recruits will bring [nothing] to the table next year," I choose to be a tad more optimistic.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Cespedes just started playing football jr year in HS ,might have to wait until his third year here. Peart made the 2 deep but was withheld.
Peart was rightfully withheld. He was nowhere near physically ready to play FBS football.

Reaction Score
I have no inside information. All I know is that O-Line has been bad for a long while and if there was anything above avg red shirting right now I think we would hear about it from the coaching staff talking up practice. Plus, this OL is so bad, if anyone could contribute already they would be out there. Conversely, because we are steady at LB and Corner, I have far more faith that the FR/redshirt players at those positions have upside. Last point, not to make a big deal about recruiting services, but none of the recent OL kids had great rating reviews or frankly that great of high school film. Yes, we had Zack Hurd - but what have we done since then....

So, I am not cheering against anyone on the squad now, but I am most interested in seeing more promising prospects come in.
Exact honesty on our OL... Thanks for breaking it down... We can't continue to take the "upside" route at that position.. We can get a our offensive backfield hurt really bad behind that stuff.. and we almost did last game ( Arkeel Newsome got beat up by Cincy's D in the regular season game.. and look back to beginning of last season to CC.. career done)..

Seriously, that is NOT a position on the field we should take lightly any longer... Get some competent guys in there, JUCO level included...

Reaction Score
Peart at least talk the prep route if I'm not mistaken. Isn't he from the one of the burroughs in NYC? So, he's basically a year ahead in terms of maturity.. Hopefully Cespedes can develop quickly, because, at the FBS level, when your fighting for a spot in a P5 conference, it's about winning. Don't think our coaches/recruiters can wait for a kid, especially at OL (our weakspot) to develop.. You over-recruit the position til you get it right. (FWIW I hope we did or are doing just that at QB for depth purposes there as well). Attrition will take care of the fallout....

Reaction Score
Peart at least talk the prep route if I'm not mistaken. Isn't he from the one of the burroughs in NYC? So, he's basically a year ahead in terms of maturity..
He's from da Bronx but only started playing football when he went to Governor's Academy.

Reaction Score
Exact honesty on our OL... Thanks for breaking it down... We can't continue to take the "upside" route at that position.. We can get a our offensive backfield hurt really bad behind that stuff.. and we almost did last game ( Arkeel Newsome got beat up by Cincy's D in the regular season game.. and look back to beginning of last season to CC.. career done)..

Seriously, that is NOT a position on the field we should take lightly any longer... Get some competent guys in there, JUCO level included...

You can,only,get the best kids that want to come here. We are not passing up 4 and 5 star kids, and taking kids with no offers because we think that is a winning strategy. We are still in the development stage of recruiting.

I think the OL has a chance to be decent next year. They were not good overall but are light years ahead of where they were last year. The ECU, Houston, and UCF games stand out. You always look better in wins.

Reaction Score
Peart was rightfully withheld. He was nowhere near physically ready to play FBS football.
Agreed, putting him on the two-deep was a public pat on the back. Maybe he pushes Levy to play some next year, very least start blocking on specials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom