2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It would seem AB and SE will be sitting quite often then and we will be playing the game with AG, JA, RP, TL, KF and the smaller available lineups. It would be great if we could get AB to rebound the ball because he could actually change the game with his size.

Can't worry about them yet, but this point seems to be good for us, no? Small ball gets our best players on the floor together more often. Whether we can beat the other guys remains to be seen of course.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Before I bless this as a trap game, lets remind ourselves that Oklahoma State went 3-15 in Big 12 play last year and 12-20 overall.

They return their starting 5 yes, but I will take Husky talent over the illustrious back-court of Phil Forte and Juwan Evans.

Reaction Score
Underwood is a hell of a coach. This will not be an easy game, but I like our depth here. OK State is shorthanded, and we can wear them down in the second half. Think it will be close until the end.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Underwood is a hell of a coach. This will not be an easy game, but I like our depth here. OK State is shorthanded, and we can wear them down in the second half. Think it will be close until the end.

Replacing Ford with Underwood will make a big difference as Kansas notes. Ford had completely lost that team last year and he knew he was getting axed. Bringing in a well respected and proven coach in Underwood who's just flat won A LOT the last few seasons at SFA is great for Okla St. I still think UConn should win comfortably like the Michigan game in Atlantis last year, but someone better guard Forte on the perimeter or he's just gonna drill 3 after 3 all afternoon.

Reaction Score
Replacing Ford with Underwood will make a big difference as Kansas notes. Ford had completely lost that team last year and he knew he was getting axed. Bringing in a well respected and proven coach in Underwood who's just flat won A LOT the last few seasons at SFA is great for Okla St. I still think UConn should win comfortably like the Michigan game in Atlantis last year, but someone better guard Forte on the perimeter or he's just gonna drill 3 after 3 all afternoon.

Good thing with Forte is he is coming off surgery, so no one knows how he will shoot, especially in a foreign gym.

Underwood will probably run the pinch post offense which will draw our bigs out and won't allow Brimah to protect the rim.

Their bigs are terrible, and Brimah should have a field day off lobs, but it will be critical for guards to penetrate.

Reaction Score
Lets win our first 3 games and then focus on Okla St. I am honestly a little worries about going @ Loyola Marymount. Could be a trap game in a hostile gym.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lets win our first 3 games and then focus on Okla St. I am honestly a little worries about going @ Loyola Marymount. Could be a trap game in a hostile gym.

I don't really feel like any game is a trap game this early in the season. The team doesn't know who they are yet, and so aren't in the habit of judging/overlooking opponents. Everybody's trying to earn minutes and coming hard as a result. Now they can lose by not being together this early, not knowing their roles or not being in rhythm...but not because they overlook somebody. jmo

Reaction Score
I don't really feel like any game is a trap game this early in the season. The team doesn't know who they are yet, and so aren't in the habit of judging/overlooking opponents. Everybody's trying to earn minutes and coming hard as a result. Now they can lose by not being together this early, not knowing their roles or not being in rhythm...but not because they overlook somebody. jmo

The question is can they lose because we overlook somebody. And I think the obvious answer is, yes.

Reaction Score
The question is can they lose because we overlook somebody. And I think the obvious answer is, yes.

Nah, the losses are never the Boneyard's fault. Losses are solely the fault of gutless players, clueless coaching, recruitment of players outside the top 100, poor strength training, casual fans, and Glen Miller. We are responsible for most of the wins though.

Reaction Score

Agree with this. I have heard a couple of times from players after the exhibition games "we need to play harder for 40 minutes" already which is really a generic statement I hate to hear at all times. But I get it in the exhibition games but I don't see it happening in from Friday on, as stated above they are all playing for minutes as ell as one goal it would seem. Having said that a bad game is not out of the question against a pretty good team so anything can happen early with a young team getting to know each other. This is a very interesting early season test and a good one I believe.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
This would suck.

Wait, didn't Gottlieb play at Oklahoma St.? Ah, that explains it.

Here are five early season college basketball upsets to keep an eye on

2. Oklahoma State over UConn

Jawun Evans is the best point guard in the Big 12. He wasn't in great shape last year and earned a reputation last season and in the summer as having a bit of an entitled streak, but Brad Underwood has turned that around almost immediately with help from his fifth-year senior Phil Forte. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have to use smoke and mirrors on their interior at times, but their perimeter is talented and experienced.

Forte's shooting numbers will peak playing off Evans as well as Jeffrey Carroll. Mitchell Solomon is the key to opening up the defense as he has the ability to be a stretch 5, but has lacked the confidence. UConn's Jalen Adams is a stud, but with Daniel Hamilton's departure a freshman next to Adams in the backcourt, I'm going to guess UConn will be a little overwhelmed at what the Cowboys will have in store for them.
We are doomed, DOOMED for sure!

Reaction Score
Keep picking against us Gottlieb. Thanks. Think we have quite a record when you are against us. Circa 2011 NCAA tourney when he picked against us all 6 games.

This would suck.

Wait, didn't Gottlieb play at Oklahoma St.? Ah, that explains it.

Here are five early season college basketball upsets to keep an eye on

2. Oklahoma State over UConn

Jawun Evans is the best point guard in the Big 12. He wasn't in great shape last year and earned a reputation last season and in the summer as having a bit of an entitled streak, but Brad Underwood has turned that around almost immediately with help from his fifth-year senior Phil Forte. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have to use smoke and mirrors on their interior at times, but their perimeter is talented and experienced.

Forte's shooting numbers will peak playing off Evans as well as Jeffrey Carroll. Mitchell Solomon is the key to opening up the defense as he has the ability to be a stretch 5, but has lacked the confidence. UConn's Jalen Adams is a stud, but with Daniel Hamilton's departure a freshman next to Adams in the backcourt, I'm going to guess UConn will be a little overwhelmed at what the Cowboys will have in store for them.

Reaction Score
All the metrics are flawed. RPI does give you some basis of comparison. The later in the season, the better it works. I like Sagarin myself.

In the first month or so of the season none of them tell you very much. Way too many unanswered questions.
RPI is overly weighted toward SOS so it causes mid level teams from "good" leagues to be overrated and good ones from lesser ranked ones to be under rated. It's one reason for the upsets in the dance. It also makes distinctions where none really exist. Once you get above maybe the top 100-125 there really isn't much difference between #210 and #300 though it can have a disproportional impact on your RPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom