2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016 Maui Jim Maui Invitational Bracket Unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This would suck.

Wait, didn't Gottlieb play at Oklahoma St.? Ah, that explains it.

Here are five early season college basketball upsets to keep an eye on

2. Oklahoma State over UConn

Jawun Evans is the best point guard in the Big 12. He wasn't in great shape last year and earned a reputation last season and in the summer as having a bit of an entitled streak, but Brad Underwood has turned that around almost immediately with help from his fifth-year senior Phil Forte. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have to use smoke and mirrors on their interior at times, but their perimeter is talented and experienced.

Forte's shooting numbers will peak playing off Evans as well as Jeffrey Carroll. Mitchell Solomon is the key to opening up the defense as he has the ability to be a stretch 5, but has lacked the confidence. UConn's Jalen Adams is a stud, but with Daniel Hamilton's departure a freshman next to Adams in the backcourt, I'm going to guess UConn will be a little overwhelmed at what the Cowboys will have in store for them.

Reaction Score
This would suck.

Jawun Evans is the best point guard in the Big 12. He wasn't in great shape last year and earned a reputation last season and in the summer as having a bit of an entitled streak, but Brad Underwood has turned that around almost immediately with help from his fifth-year senior Phil Forte. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have to use smoke and mirrors on their interior at times, but their perimeter is talented and experienced.

Forte's shooting numbers will peak playing off Evans as well as Jeffrey Carroll. Mitchell Solomon is the key to opening up the defense as he has the ability to be a stretch 5, but has lacked the confidence. UConn's Jalen Adams is a stud, but with Daniel Hamilton's departure a freshman next to Adams in the backcourt, I'm going to guess UConn will be a little overwhelmed at what the Cowboys will have in store for them.
Which freshman will be next to Adam's in the backcourt? Won't it be Purvis most of the time?

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Which freshman will be next to Adam's in the backcourt? Won't it be Purvis most of the time?
Uhm, you know that McDonald's All American Alterique Gilbert? I think we'll see Adams, Gilbert, Purvis on the court together a lot.

Reaction Score
Uhm, you know that McDonald's All American Alterique Gilbert? I think we'll see Adams, Gilbert, Purvis on the court together a lot.
Right, I do know that guy. I think you know what I mean though...his thesis is that UConn will be overwhelmed because they have a freshman alongside Adams in the backcourt. When Purvis will be alongside Adams in the backcourt to start the game and for likely most of the game and isn't likely to be overwhelmed.

Reaction Score
This would suck.

The question is would he bet on this to happen with his own credit card or "borrow" one to call it in?:eek:

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I weren't a UConn fan and I had to pick an early season upset, this might be one of the games on my list. UConn clearly has more talent, but they are young, and Oklahoma State probably have the best player on the floor, and that means a lot in early season college basketball, especially when the player in question is a point guard. I'd be surprised if the spread were more than a few points.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if I weren't a UConn fan and I had to pick an early season upset, this might be one of the games on my list. UConn clearly has more talent, but they are young, and Oklahoma State probably have the best player on the floor, and that means a lot in early season college basketball, especially when the player in question is a point guard. I'd be surprised if the spread were more than a few points.

I've been thinking about this, I made this same observation earlier. However, i'm starting to convince myself Larrier will pose a serious matchup problem for them. Larrier is the only player ollie mentions as a 'pro' so it speaks to his talent level, ok state also doesn't have anyone remotely like him getting major tick. No shot blocking either so he can attack at will. Couple that with the size advantage in the backcourt... I'm going to hold off until we see them vs northeastern and LMU . Losing to OK state would be devastating, i'm sure the team realizes this.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking about this, I made this same observation earlier. However, i'm starting to convince myself Larrier will pose a serious matchup problem for them. Larrier is the only player ollie mentions as a 'pro' so it speaks to his talent level, ok state also doesn't have anyone remotely like him getting major tick. No shot blocking either so he can attack at will. Couple that with the size advantage in the backcourt... I'm going to hold off until we see them vs northeastern and LMU . Losing to OK state would be devastating, i'm sure the team realizes this.

I agree. I just worry about him getting back into the swing of things after a year off. Camps over the summer help (he was raved about as a potential pro there), but there's nothing like real game experience.

But Larrier just has "it" in my eye. Just watching him move, you see someone who oozes athelticism, I just can't put my finger on it.

Reaction Score
I agree. I just worry about him getting back into the swing of things after a year off. Camps over the summer help (he was raved about as a potential pro there), but there's nothing like real game experience.

But Larrier just has "it" in my eye. Just watching him move, you see someone who oozes athelticism, I just can't put my finger on it.

he moves better than hamilton, itll be obvious to uconn fans when they see him play. When i say that , i mean he has an explosive first step and really likes attacking the paint with an array of jump stop 'floaters' and other tricks ( hamilton was not a good finisher or scorer, but had great vision...perhaps by default) I also have high hopes for his defense , he made some heady rotations in the exhibition which shows he watches tape. let the hype train begin.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The question is would he bet on this to happen with his own credit card or "borrow" one to call it in?:eek:
As long as he doesn't ask Doug Wiggins for a laptop to place the bet
maybe he can use Weiner's

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This would suck.

Of course UConn is going to lose, they played 5 games in 5 nights in 2011, did everybody forget that already? Doug GottNothing predicted they were going to lose all the way to the national championship

and that was AFTER he said Roscoe Smith should decommit, the wheels were coming off the program

which was after he said Marcus and AJ have to transfer, they'll never succeed at UConn after laptopgate

Doug's got game alright, dude's an idiot (and I never even hear about him anymore, I'm sure he's embarrassed himself many more times)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If larrier can have a consistent jump shot and make a couple threes then I'd say he's a problem. But right now after one game he seems to be a problem driving and on the break

Reaction Score
Of course UConn is going to lose, they played 5 games in 5 nights in 2011, did everybody forget that already? Doug GottNothing predicted they were going to lose all the way to the national championship

and that was AFTER he said Roscoe Smith should decommit, the wheels were coming off the program

which was after he said Marcus and AJ have to transfer, they'll never succeed at UConn after laptopgate

Doug's got game alright, dude's an idiot (and I never even hear about him anymore, I'm sure he's embarrassed himself many more times)
Judging from the other thread most people here would agree with him about paying players, but he embarrasses himself pretty regularly on Twitter on that issue (him and Seth Greenberg). Got called out by Ben Simmons when Gottlieb was talking about him making money off his documentary

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This would suck.

Uconn is four deep at guard including Purvis and Vital who are lockdown defenders. That's a little bit more than Adams and "the freshman" in the backcourt. We shall see.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe we should pump the brakes on declaring somebody who hasn't played a college game a lockdown defender? I don't think Purvis is one, either, FWIW.

You are correct, though I do think he's a pretty solid defender. Who has a clue about Vitale? I'm hoping AG comes in as advertised defensively. That's almost a must.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We would be on ESPNU.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Maybe we should pump the brakes on declaring somebody who hasn't played a college game a lockdown defender? I don't think Purvis is one, either, FWIW.
Your point is well taken re: Vital. His defensive skills have been mentioned as very good in most of the articles or comments I have read about him. I do think Purvis is a very good defender. After being torched by Danny Upchurch (33 pts and 0 turnovers) I expect KO addressed this in practice and planning. I expect that playing time will be predicated a lot on defensive performance and there is good depth. I just thought that the author's analysis was superficial. We shall see.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd love to know what exactly it was that caused thieving Douggie G to despise UConn at the level he does. A few years back he said something about JC recruiting him (and in DG's version, JC would have done anything to get him to commit) but ad Doug's parents were academics and UConn (per DG & family) was so deficient as aa school it made Louisville look like Harvard (what he said wasn't far from this) he couldn't consider attending,

I really doubt JC put too much effort in this kid twenty years ago but regardless, something had to have happened (perhaps JC told him he wasn't that good).

Reaction Score
Way I read it is that the UC / Okla game is not on TV - or did I miss something?

Reaction Score
Finally getting a chance to watch an Oklahoma State exhibition I recorded earlier in the week vs Pittsburg State. 33-7 10 min into the game and very impressive. Every possession is full court full speed pressure. Half court ball pressure extends wherever the ball goes and they stay glued to all four other players man to man. That means all offense must be run under pressure and a player like Gilbert might get caught up doing everything too fast. Phil Forte is deadly from 5ft outside the arc and 3 other players have hit 3's. On offense they run the offense fast with cut after cut after cut strong and hard until someone is open. Their 'center' is a 6'9 Jake type player who is setting picks and screens continuously at the top of the lane. They leave the lane open for cutting and their rebounding is based on quickness to the ball, rebounding out of their area regularly. Constant substitution due to the intensity of play demanded by the coach, (I think he was on Huggins Kansas State staff and they play like West Virginia has recently). They don't seem to lose anything no matter who is in the game. There were some early hand check fouls I thought might hurt them and change their play but it hasn't. Blocking them off the offensive boards is tough because they are loaded with 6'6 type guys with running starts due to their constant motion. We have a big advantage in length but it will take a good game plan by Ollie to keep our bigs on the floor and in the paint to protect the rim and take advantage. Our bigs can't put the ball on the floor and keep it. This is the kind of team a Bazz-Boat-Kromah-Giffey-Daniels small ball is the right counter punch. Now 45-17 shooting 50% from 3 with 3 minutes to half. The game plan for this team is why Ollie earns the bucks because as I watch, it seems they are going to dictate play. A deliberate Wisconsin type team might disrupt their ability to generate tempo, but our natural instinct is to run with them. I'll be impressed if Ollie can coach our young team to play this early in the season with enough discipline to control the game, and double impressed if we run and beat them at their own game. I really want this game and now I could really see it as a 50/50 toss up. Talk me off the ledge and tell me all will be well.

Reaction Score
Sorry Ricker can't talk you off the ledge , my guess is there will be many more of us on the ledge with you by game time .

Reaction Score
Finally getting a chance to watch an Oklahoma State exhibition I recorded earlier in the week vs Pittsburg State. 33-7 10 min into the game and very impressive. Every possession is full court full speed pressure. Half court ball pressure extends wherever the ball goes and they stay glued to all four other players man to man. That means all offense must be run under pressure and a player like Gilbert might get caught up doing everything too fast. Phil Forte is deadly from 5ft outside the arc and 3 other players have hit 3's. On offense they run the offense fast with cut after cut after cut strong and hard until someone is open. Their 'center' is a 6'9 Jake type player who is setting picks and screens continuously at the top of the lane. They leave the lane open for cutting and their rebounding is based on quickness to the ball, rebounding out of their area regularly. Constant substitution due to the intensity of play demanded by the coach, (I think he was on Huggins Kansas State staff and they play like West Virginia has recently). They don't seem to lose anything no matter who is in the game. There were some early hand check fouls I thought might hurt them and change their play but it hasn't. Blocking them off the offensive boards is tough because they are loaded with 6'6 type guys with running starts due to their constant motion. We have a big advantage in length but it will take a good game plan by Ollie to keep our bigs on the floor and in the paint to protect the rim and take advantage. Our bigs can't put the ball on the floor and keep it. This is the kind of team a Bazz-Boat-Kromah-Giffey-Daniels small ball is the right counter punch. Now 45-17 shooting 50% from 3 with 3 minutes to half. The game plan for this team is why Ollie earns the bucks because as I watch, it seems they are going to dictate play. A deliberate Wisconsin type team might disrupt their ability to generate tempo, but our natural instinct is to run with them. I'll be impressed if Ollie can coach our young team to play this early in the season with enough discipline to control the game, and double impressed if we run and beat them at their own game. I really want this game and now I could really see it as a 50/50 toss up. Talk me off the ledge and tell me all will be well.

Ricker after reading this move over, I am planted firmly on the ledge next to you. To come out this early and execute the way you are talking is impressive. It would seem AB and SE will be sitting quite often then and we will be playing the game with AG, JA, RP, TL, KF and the smaller available lineups. It would be great if we could get AB to rebound the ball because he could actually change the game with his size.

Be fun to see how they react but for now I am still very concerned about Wagner anyway!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom