2016-17 Schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2016-17 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's the big word - potential. Potentially we don't play UNC and Oregon. Then our sos takes a hit.
Yup, Chaminade is going to beat UNC. Our out of conference schedule looks pretty good to me.

Reaction Score
I didn't say Chaminade is going to beat UNC. If we don't bear OK St, then our schedule takes a hit. Like James said, we had better start the season strong. I just don't see why so many are building our schedule up. Our conference is so bad that we should be playing the elite teams and if for some reason we don't play UNC then there is not an elite team on our schedule. And don't tell me we tried to schedule them but we could not make it work. Then someone needs to try harder.

Reaction Score
I didn't say Chaminade is going to beat UNC. If we don't bear OK St, then our schedule takes a hit. Like James said, we had better start the season strong. I just don't see why so many are building our schedule up. Our conference is so bad that we should be playing the elite teams and if for some reason we don't play UNC then there is not an elite team on our schedule. And don't tell me we tried to schedule them but we could not make it work. Then someone needs to try harder.
The chances of us not playing UNC are pretty slim. I think they beat Chaminade. Again, our schedule could be better. It can always be better. However, it is good enough. But we have to win our games. If our schedule is so weak then we should go 28-2 or something. If we go 28-2 and get a 7 seed then I think there is more afoot than our strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
Georgetown, Ohio St and Auburn are not very good teams. Contrary to what most seem to think they will not boost our RPI much.
So if we lose to Oklahoma St we may not play a top 15 team all year.

No one can predict the future and historically Georgetown and Ohio St. are pretty safe bets. UConn scheduled a home and home with UNC in the early 2000's and UConn just destroyed UNC in the first game by 30 something. That happened to be the worst UNC team in probably a lot of our lifetimes. No one would have predicted that when the deal was signed. It happens.

Reaction Score
Sounds like our first "is this a must win" topic is right around the corner.

I can answer the question: it is. That first game against Oklahoma State could be worth 2-3 seed lines based on that win and the resulting SOS opportunities.

If we lose to them, win a meaningless scrimmage against Chaminade, and then play Tennessee (or whoever), that really limits the quality of our resume. We'd have to go like 26-2 the rest of the way to get a top 2 seed.

Reaction Score
I can answer the question: it is. That first game against Oklahoma State could be worth 2-3 seed lines based on that win and the resulting SOS opportunities.

If we lose to them, win a meaningless scrimmage against Chaminade, and then play Tennessee (or whoever), that really limits the quality of our resume. We'd have to go like 26-2 the rest of the way to get a top 2 seed.

I sort of agreed until the last sentence. We still play Ohio State, Georgetown, Syracuse, and whoever else we draw in Maui in addition to Cincinnati, Memphis (they should be a tournament team), SMU, Temple, Houston, etc. Not great teams but squads that can get to the tournament. If we lose only one OOC game and go 15-3 in conference, we'll be in position for a 2 seed or better even with a loss in the ACCT.

Now, that said, you're right, the Oklahoma State game is vital. To the extent that it is a 'must win' is semantics but there is a huge difference between playing UNC and Oregon/Wisconsin and Chaminade and Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom