2016-17 Ceiling? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2016-17 Ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
We have two quick slashing playmaking scoring point guards and Amida Brimah. Feels like a title.

Reaction Score
You really have four guys that have stated plus a transfer thst startedv
Funnily enough one of the few years I thought we had no shot at a title was 2011. We lost Edwards, Dyson, Stanley and had an unheralded freshman class coming in. I remember thinking 'unless Kemba takes a big step forward we'll probably miss the tournament'

Since then I always think we have a shot.
Although I didn't predict a NC I told my son in 2011 thst team would be good.
My quote was "any team with the best guard in America on it will be good."
2014 was the most experienced bunch plus Brimah helped fill a huge hole.
2015 was the least talented in yesrs. Ryan was a hero.
2016 KO failed to develop chemistry possibly because of too many post grad transfer starters .
This year's team has an elite PG plus 3 other guys thst have been starters
I suspect the team play will be great st times .
I'm think a 4-5 loss season and a sweet 16 are within grasp.

caw

Reaction Score
I expect a top 5 defense nationally. Offense and defensive rebounding will determine how high this team will go. Offensively only Purvis is a proven commodity. Well Brimah and Facey are also to the extent we know they won't bring a ton. Adams and Larrier only have potential and their freshmen seasons which were both up and down but the potential is outstanding for both. A lot is riding on them fulfilling their potential and the freshmen showing up.

Reaction Score
You mean Bob Haines jumping center, Lenny Charles bringing the ball up court and Hugh Greer in the coaching box?

uhm, no thanks.

Haha! Got nothing.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16. Think we are 1 year away from having very strong season where we are in the top 10 throughout the year. Obviously, if Adams goes Kemba or Shabazz, they anything can happen.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16. Think we are 1 year away from having very strong season where we are in the top 10 throughout the year. Obviously, if Adams goes Kemba or Shabazz, they anything can happen.

I am very excited to see what Adams can do this year, but seriously doubt we see anything like Junior year Kemba or Senior year Shabazz from him as a Soph. That's no knock on Adams, but rather genuine appreciation of what those two guys did as leaders and all Americans.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think we make it to the finals of Maui, win the regular season and tourney of the AAC, and make the big dance

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
my concerns are foul trouble for our bigs, rebounding, perimeter shooting, confidence, and ball movement... If the first two are eliminated I think we will be good

Reaction Score
No predictions here because I first need to know if we will have a perimeter game outside of Rodney, someone who can rebound and take the place of the 9 a game we lost from DHam. Also the zillion other questions which remain after these 2 keys are answered.

Long way to go, getting closer for the answers though. Could be 18-12, could be 22-8 could be 25-5, that's the fun of these threads but I admit I have no gut on this years team going in, crap shoot. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I am very excited to see what Adams can do this year, but seriously doubt we see anything like Junior year Kemba or Senior year Shabazz from him as a Soph. That's no knock on Adams, but rather genuine appreciation of what those two guys did as leaders and all Americans.
I agree. Those guys could flat out take over a game for stretches and I don't think we have a player like that. With freshman you get inconsistency which is to be expected. I wouldn't expect domination from Adams on a regular basis until next year, not to say he won't be good. Rodney has an ability to go on a run and knock down outside shots so he is a big key to our ceiling especially if Gilbert and Adams are setting him up with their drives.

Reaction Score
I agree. Those guys could flat out take over a game for stretches and I don't think we have a player like that. With freshman you get inconsistency which is to be expected. I wouldn't expect domination from Adams on a regular basis until next year, not to say he won't be good. Rodney has an ability to go on a run and knock down outside shots so he is a big key to our ceiling especially if Gilbert and Adams are setting him up with their drives.

Thing with Rodney is if he can finish at the rim better than history has shown he could have a very big year. Much like AB's rebounding and KF too, these are just a few of the "if" they need to answer. In a perfect storm this could be a scary good team but having said that, I could have a 6-pack tummy too! (instead of the 30 pack)

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Has there been a ceiling update? I'd like to think $10M would get the job done for 2016-17.

f6c1b252406b4ea0b66d2fcb78d1c320_tx600.JPEG

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn won two NCs with teams that on paper had no business making it to the final four. So there is never a ceiling.

There are question marks, but there always are. It doesn't bother me. I fully expect Rodney to thrive now that Gibbs isn't crowding him in his role. Adams should be a top 5 PG nationally. He's going to be amazing. Brimah will probably be what he was pre-injury last year. I can live with that. I think Facey is the guy who makes the jump. He always had some offense and is a good rebounder. I think his D will improve and the muscle he's added with help him guard 4s.

Now I hope Larrier is what some think he is, but I have no idea. I think Gilbert will be a talented freshman, with some early growing pains and improved play later. I really hope Steve E. can improve his post defense, and if he does, watch out. If he can play the 5, Facey steps up at the 4, Larrier is a stud at 3, RP at 2 and Adams at 1...I'm not sure who can defend that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom