2015 Recruiting Thread | Page 67 | The Boneyard

2015 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not understanding your point. Are you saying there's no chance for us to win a recruiting battle for a kid that has already orally committed to us? Because if you're saying there's no chance, then what the hell is the point of the coaching staff trying to get oral commitments??? They should just wait until the day before signing day and see who's left. Of course there's a chance that Ulizio stays with us. There's a good chance...

Sorry, no that was not what I was responding to. I believe we can compete against P5 programs in recruiting. What I was responding to was the comment around Broyles Award winners - I do not believe any non-p5 coordinator will win that award in our lifetime.

I like our chances with Ulizio. If you followed his recruitment, he really wanted a KY offer. He camped there, visited there, has buddies there, etc. It's closer to home. It's the SEC. And I like his reaction to getting the KY offer after he committed - you hear a kid who clearly connected with our school, our staff and our players. Would I be shocked if he flipped, no. Do I like our chances, yes. And I hope we sent his recruiter out there this week.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Sorry, no that was not what I was responding to. I believe we can compete against P5 programs in recruiting. What I was responding to was the comment around Broyles Award winners - I do not believe any non-p5 coordinator will win that award in our lifetime.

I like our chances with Ulizio. If you followed his recruitment, he really wanted a KY offer. He camped there, visited there, has buddies there, etc. It's closer to home. It's the SEC. And I like his reaction to getting the KY offer after he committed - you hear a kid who clearly connected with our school, our staff and our players. Would I be shocked if he flipped, no. Do I like our chances, yes. And I hope we sent his recruiter out there this week.

Do you believe our OC will be a finalist then?

My point is that this Broyles Award goes to an assistant coach working with a bunch of 4-5 star recruits - its a silly award in my eyes.

We will see what Bob does but a large amount of these award winners have crashed and burned when given opportunites as a HC, and some were never even given that opportunity.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
there are those that will claim Narduzzi won with lots of 3 stars.

I believe in Bob
I hope you are right about Bob -

He is a refresher -

I dont get the LOVE that goes with this Broyles Award to be honest - past winners

Pat Narduzzi - MIch St - Still an Asst Coach
Bob Diacco - Notre Dame - UConn HC
John Chavis - LSU - Still an Asst Coach
Gus Malzahn - Auburn - HC Auburn (he was on the fast track well before his Broyle Award - he was well known in the region as a genius on offense as a High School coach)
Kirby Smart - Alabama - Still an Asst Coach
Kevin Wilson - Okla - HC Indiana - 10-26 in 4 years - this year Rivals has his recruiting class at 77 and UConn at 79 - Bob Diaco is on track for that same record - its early, I know!
Jim Heacock - Ohio State - Not in coaching - not retained when Urban Meyer took over program
Bud Foster - Va Tech - Still an Asst Coach
Greg Davis - Texas - Still an OC (Iowa)
Gene Chizik - Auburn (Doing Sirius Radio)
Brian VanGorder - Georgia - DC at ND after multiple position coaching jobs in NFL
Norm Chow - USC - HC at Hawaii 8-29 career record - Bob Diaco is on track for that same record - its early, I know!
Randy Shannon - Miami - after being the HC at Miami with a 28-22 record; one of the MOST successful Boyles award winners - last two jobs were position coach - just hired as DC Florida Gators
Mark Mangino - Oklahoma - currecntly O/C at Iowa St - 50 and 48 at Kansas - fairly successful I think we would take that now!

I know LURKER - Broken record but until someone who wins this award actual demonstrates the ability to Head Coach for a sustaind time 4+ years I am not buying into this excuse for a 'get together' and cumbaya for P5 coaches.

Bonehead

Reaction Score

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
The staff is now recruiting New Mexico...

Jason Groves ‏@JPGroves
21h21 hours ago
Was told Mayfield QB Kavika Johnson has visits at Eastern Wash. UTEP and UConn the next three weekends in that order

Kavika Johnson is a DT QB/CB from Las Cruces, NM (Mayfield HS). Offers from Army(?), BYU(?), Eastern Washington, New Mexico, New Mexico State, and UTEP.

Since he is currently visiting Eastern Washington today, Johnson's visit lines up to be on the 30th.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2261973/kavika-johnson

Reaction Score

Jason Groves ‏@JPGroves 21h21 hours ago
Was told Mayfield QB Kavika Johnson has visits at Eastern Wash. UTEP and UConn the next three weekends in that order

Kavika Johnson is a DT QB/CB from Las Cruces, NM (Mayfield HS). Offers from Army, Eastern Washington, New Mexico, New Mexico State, and UTEP.
Since he is currently visiting Eastern Washington today, Johnson's visit lines up to be on the 30th.
He will be there same time as Carter Stanley another QB recruit and many others. Big official visit weekends coming up the next two weeks, 24th and 30th.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Do you believe our OC will be a finalist then?

My point is that this Broyles Award goes to an assistant coach working with a bunch of 4-5 star recruits - its a silly award in my eyes.

We will see what Bob does but a large amount of these award winners have crashed and burned when given opportunites as a HC, and some were never even given that opportunity.

This can't be said with any really degree of certainty. Of the 19 Broyles Award winners, 7 are career assistants (though Narduzzi and Herman get their first crack at running their own program starting this off-season. Given their respective programs' current talent, I expect at least initial success.). You can say that they have never been given an opportunity just as easily as you can say they never seized the opportunity.

Of the remaining 12, 6 have at least .500 records (Cutcliffe, Friedgen, Mangino, Shannon, Chizik, Malzahn), multiple conference championships, and a national championship. 2 Coaches got their HC opportunity prior to winning the award and have been assistants since winning it, so that's no real barometer. Three are still head coaches, and one replaced our very own Broyles Award Winner on the Notre Dame Defensive staff.

At worst that is a .500 success rate (6 wins, 6 losses, and 7 incompletes). You could make the argument that any one of Diaco traits make him relatively unfit to be a head coach (I won't agree...yet, if ever), but being a Broyles Award winner isn't one of them.

Reaction Score

Jason Groves ‏@JPGroves
21h21 hours ago

Kavika Johnson is a DT QB/CB from Las Cruces, NM (Mayfield HS). Offers from Army(?), BYU(?), Eastern Washington, New Mexico, New Mexico State, and UTEP.

Just watching the first two plays are quite impressive. And just wondering, but what does DT QB mean? _____ quarterback...

Reaction Score
and the other 9 are on my list...like I said I hope I am wro...wron...wrong.

But following percentages tells me I am not.

Here's where i would differ (aside from Narduzzi being a HC and not an asst coach; and your assumption that any good coordinator wnats to be a HC)

what Chizik did at Auburn was, at the time, highly unexpected
what the fridge did at MD was also highly unexpected, including Orange Bowl trip
what mangino did at KU was unthinkable - going to Orange Bowl

you can look at their records over time, but what they did at the time they were there was remarkable, especially Big Mark

and dont get me wrong, the award is overrated - there is no crystal ball for evaluating whether an asst coach will be a successful HC - see, e.g., Belichik, Bill and Cleveland Browns. And the award is a reflection of talent on the field (and health) as much as coaching prowess. None of these guys gets smarter or dumber yoy - they just find themselves in the right place at the right time.

Reaction Score

Bonehead

Reaction Score
He also won a National Championship but don't let that get in the way of your narrative.
I am not. And then quickly after shown the door.

Then there are those who never got a HC offer.

Ant then those who have coached 4 years and haven't broken ten wins.

Why do you believe Heacock, Davis, Chavis, Foster and VanGorder have never been given an opportunity as a HC? Some are just better as asst than running the show - hence top coordinator award??

Do you think Chow and Wilson are considered successful as head coaches??

Look at MAC coaches of the year and tell me who you think has more successful sustained runs - them or Broyles Award winners. Urban Meyer once and then went to Utah a was wildly successful.

Let's agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
I am not. And then quickly after shown the door.

Then there are those who never got a HC offer.

Ant then those who have coached 4 years and haven't broken ten wins.

Why do you believe Heacock, Davis, Chavis, Foster and VanGorder have never been given an opportunity as a HC? Some are just better as asst than running the show - hence top coordinator award??

Do you think Chow and Wilson are considered successful as head coaches??

Look at MAC coaches of the year and tell me who you think has more successful sustained runs - them or Broyles Award winners. Urban Meyer once and then went to Utah a was wildly successful.

Let's agree to disagree.

Could we keep this a recruiting only thread please?
This Broyles award crop is boring as all get out.

I come to the recruiting thread with a little hope for good news!:)

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Could we keep this a recruiting only thread please?
This Broyles award crop is boring as all get out.

I come to the recruiting thread with a little hope for good news!:)
Sure

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Saw this as well. State championship team. Must have some other athletes that the big boys are apparently interested in.
1 other. Tyrone Wheatley has offers from multiple P5 programs otherwise no other players with P5 offers.

Reaction Score
Saw this as well. State championship team. Must have some other athletes that the big boys are apparently interested in.

I live in NYS---have to realize how weak football is in the state. If state champs have one big time player, that would be as much as you should expect. Lots of lAA players, not many lA types.

Reaction Score
njrivals1 8:45am via Twitter Web Client

OH OL Nolan Ulizio, a #UConn commit, has received an offer from #BBN (Kentucky)

This is when the agita starts to build ...

DMBerk 9:47pm via Twitter for Android
Hearing West Chester (OH) Lakota West and UCONN pledge OL Nolan Ulizio picking up more interest. Could add a new offer or two soon.

Article on Ulizio and UK interest from earlier in the week (before Cincy throwing out offer that was reportedly declined). Hope Davis is on the case and we are talking to his HS OL Coach about the opening @ UConn ;)

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2015/01/12/ulizio-emerges-as-uks-top-o-line-target-for-2015/

Reaction Score
Dropped this on main Football board but dropping here too...

UConn Commit Nolan Ulizio can use Husky Nation's Help!

The following Lakota West Firebird football players have been nominated for the 2014 Postseason All-Tristatefootball.com Team. Fan votes will account for 25 percent of the final tally with the TSF staff vote accounting for the remaining 75 percent. Fans can vote once per hour until 11:59pm on Friday, January 30th.

The official 2014 Postseason All-TSF Team will be announced on Monday, February 2nd and all members will be invited to be recognized at our upcoming TSF Year in Review Show on Thursday, February 12th at Dave and Buster’s in Springdale.

Quarterback: Blake Darland
Running Back: Kole Gentry
Receiver: Braxton Neal
Offensive Lineman: George Asafo-Adjei, Nolan Ulizio
Linebacker: CJ Stalker
Kick Returner: Mykel Chambers

Here is the direct link to voting: http://www.tristatefootball.com/alltsf-fanvote.asp

Reaction Score
Now that the P5 has made their full cost of attendance announcement, if the UCONN plan is to compete at highest level in all revenue sports which I believe it is, then heading into last two weeks to signing day Warde can not sit back and monitor the situation as he did when Louisville beat us for the ACC bid, a strong announcement of our intentions has to be made within next few days as we are at a high risk of losing any of our commits with P5 offers. As of last night the landscape changed as it is no longer an even playing field as to what schools can offer financially. Objectively would you tell your kid or player to take a one year offer from a G5 school, whose silence by school or conference shows an uncertain future instead of taking a four year guaranteed scholarship with a stipend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom