2015 Arike Ogunbowale Top 11 | The Boneyard

2015 Arike Ogunbowale Top 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
She announced it yesterday, granted it's a long list but interesting nonetheless:

No order (except Alphabetical)-

Duke
DePaul
Louisville
Marquette
Michigan
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Stanford
UCLA
UConn
Wisconsin

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have to sell themselves. Everybody knows who UConn is and what they've done and what is expected. If UConn comes knocking you've got to open the door and listen. It really doesn't matter what other coaches say about UConn. UConn is UConn and they are number 1. Everybody knows UConn and if you want to play for them fine. End of Subject. There is nothing to prove.

U

UCONNfan1

UConn doesn't have to sell themselves. Everybody knows who UConn is and what they've done and what is expected. If UConn comes knocking you've got to open the door and listen. It really doesn't matter what other coaches say about UConn. UConn is UConn and they are number 1. Everybody knows UConn and if you want to play for them fine. End of Subject. There is nothing to prove.
Just my take but I DO think UCONN has to sell itself. I think it would be arrogant for Geno to think that just because we are UCONN kids will flock.

I do agree that kids have probably grown up watching and seeing UCONN win multiple NC's, and see the plethora of top talent flock to Storrs, but UCONN's team first style is not for everyone (see Diamond Deshields), and the intensity and effort required from any kid who wants to play for Geno is 2nd to none.

I think it's important for Geno to not only "sell" the program, but to explain the philosophy he has and why he feels it's the right place for whichever recruit he's speaking with.

I get the feeling that many more kids would love to play for UCONN than vice versa, but I'm betting sometimes there is early interest on both sides, but early on Geno may realize the kid is not a good fit for UCONN, for whatever reason (or the kid may make that decision).

I'm not sure if you really meant to imply that every kid Geno wants, Geno gets, because we are after all, UCONN, and I apologize if I took what you said out of context...

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just my take but I DO think UCONN has to sell itself. I think it would be arrogant for Geno to think that just because we are UCONN kids will flock.

I do agree that kids have probably grown up watching and seeing UCONN win multiple NC's, and see the plethora of top talent flock to Storrs, but UCONN's team first style is not for everyone (see Diamond Deshields), and the intensity and effort required from any kid who wants to play for Geno is 2nd to none.

I think it's important for Geno to not only "sell" the program, but to explain the philosophy he has and why he feels it's the right place for whichever recruit he's speaking with.

I get the feeling that many more kids would love to play for UCONN than vice versa, but I'm betting sometimes there is early interest on both sides, but early on Geno may realize the kid is not a good fit for UCONN, for whatever reason (or the kid may make that decision).

I'm not sure if you really meant to imply that every kid Geno wants, Geno gets, because we are after all, UCONN, and I apologize if I took what you said out of context...
No I didn't imply that. People in WBB know what UConn is about. The selling isn't selling like other teams have to come across. UConn has done what they've done and everybody knows it and it has filtered through AAU and HS rankings. Kids know if they're UConn material or if they have a chance to play for Geno. I know most of them know in advance from their AAU coaches. There's not a lot Geno has to explain about what he's done, what UConn has done and where they're headed. Other coaches do because they're unproven. Geno hasn't got much to prove. Its out there. As far as kids coming here. Many kids are attracted to UConn while other schools have to attract them by selling them on what they have and what they can do for them.

Reaction Score
IMHO, the Wilson kid from SC might not be a UCONN type player in her gut like Elizabeth Williams at DUKE. She never achieve her fullest potential at DUKE again IMO. Maybe, they think Geno is too tough, some say the want to stay home and that is OK if that is true. If A'ja Wilson really wanted to come to UCONN, she would have done so by now or Maybe, I am wrong, but again some players need more time.......Ditto on the above post.............

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just my take but I DO think UCONN has to sell itself.

The situ has changed somewhat and in certain cases considerably both on the court and in the recruiting world.

The team was triumphed over adversity in making a most important statement.

Doggy has correctly pointed out that the lack of power conference has not had a bit of a negative effect.
That perceived weakness can be cured by an extremely aggressive OOC scheduling; as we've seen this year, even more so, if necessary.

Then there is the matter of the US team, which further expands Geno's influence.

In family's like the Samuelson's and the Ogwumike's, there is surely considerable awareness that no matter how well their daughters are educated at Stanford and how terrific the program; if someone in the family is to win a National Championships, they had better consider coming East.

I have no idea if Geno is recruiting the younger O sister, but if he is, i would not be surprised if the senior sisters supported her enrollment at UConn.

The present recruiting class, certainly so with the anticipated addition of a big or two appears so overwhelming in talent that in order to win a National Championship, if that is the single overarching goal of a recruit, then UConn must be at the top of her list.

And it is precisely that type of young woman that Geno is interested in.

It almost seems unfair, this season's parade, a perpetual mobile of hugely talented recruits, that perhaps only ND is capable of matching.

I know that the current class of one was an off-season for recruiting, clearly Geno's first Olympics was a distraction.
But now, in his second go-round, he better knows how to handle the time and energy constraints and has almost over-compensated with this monster class (still in formation).

Still, some kids will want to stay near home, some will want to have big minutes from day 1, and hope to re-make the program in their image, some will still be tempted by the rapidly fading former glories of UTenn, some will correctly identify ND as our only real rival for the next half-decade, some will correctly value the virtues of a degree from Stanford or Duke

But for those who dream of National Championships, Olympic Glory, the WNBA and big money in Russia or China.

For this group, an increasingly large percentage of those gifted young woman will aspire to play for Geno…without much prodding.

Have I movers to the left of Tony, UC?

The potential for BB excellence for the six years remaining of my 70th decade is limitless.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
UCONN will always have to recruit like gangbusters to get the top players. Especially now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tony - I agree about the interest and that has been around for a decade I think though has grown stronger - it was the same for Pat at TN though I think that has grown weaker over the last decade but is still probably the second strongest 'brand'.
I think what Geno and the coaches have to do with recruits and families is not promote the program but clearly explain the coaching philosophy the expectations and requirements, and how they see the team shaping up in the future/where with work they see the recruit fitting in to the big picture. And they do have to sell Uconn academically and socially.
On a related note - Stanford closely followed by Duke have the Brand advantage when it comes to academics - their basketball product is very good, but they do not have to sell the academics - everyone already knows like every already knows about Geno/Uconn on the basketball side.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It is a very widespread list...She's from the midwest so there is a strong hold there but then the typical recruiting powers...Minus one....

Reaction Score
I know that the current class of one was an off-season for recruiting, clearly Geno's first Olympics was a distraction.
But now, in his second go-round, he better knows how to handle the time and energy constraints and has almost over-compensated with this monster class (still in formation).

The 1 person recruiting class had nothing to do with Geno being distracted. It wasn't the first 1 player recruiting class and probably won't be the last. It is a product of the selective recruiting philosophy. As Geno says each year there are typically 6 or 7 players with the makeup to be successful at UConn, and some years those players would rather go elsewhere. And it tends to happen more when there are 3 consecutive #1 recruiting classes ahead of them.

Some years the few players that have the right makeup for UConn choose other schools, and the players that want to come to UConn aren't quite the right fits for UConn. There was a lot of that in the Chong recruiting class as well as the Faris class. Thankfully most years it lines up for several players.

Reactions: HGN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01