2015-16 Huskies vs. 2008-09 Huskies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2015-16 Huskies vs. 2008-09 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't think that OP is comparing the teams in terms of overall talent but more so how their makeup and structure are similar. I see his point.

In terms of talent though? 08-09 is a Top 5 All time UConn team (disclaimer: I'm was too young to remember early 90s squads).

I put 08-09 above 10-11 and well above 13-14.
Well I still think the 2011-12 team had the most talent or at least equivalent to the 2003-2004 team. Of course the chemistry was horrible.

Reaction Score
The 2008-09 team is the best we've had since 2003-04. That team would beat next year's 9 out of 10 times, and most of them would be settled before the final minute.

Dyson, though he rightly takes criticism for a horrible senior year (and, one could argue, his addition-by-subtraction his sophomore year propelled the team into the Top 25 and a #4 seed), in 2008-09 he was a stud SG. Purvis is going to have to play the entire year next year like he did in March in order to compare to junior year Dyson.

I would say:

PG - slight advantage Price
SG - advantage Dyson
SF - large advantage Hamilton
PF - advantage Adrien
C - enormous advantage Thabeet

backup PG - slight advantage Kemba
backup frontcourt - even (not impressed with anybody, to be honest)
other backup guards - even

Reaction Score
Don't think that OP is comparing the teams in terms of overall talent but more so how their makeup and structure are similar. I see his point.

In terms of talent though? 08-09 is a Top 5 All time UConn team (disclaimer: I'm was too young to remember early 90s squads).

I put 08-09 above 10-11 and well above 13-14.

Nail on head regarding my point.

Reaction Score
It's pretty close when you look at our 1-4 spots, but Thabeet was much, much better than Brimah projects to be. Thabeet was DPOY in the country and averaged almost 11 rebounds per game on top of averaging 13+ PPG. Not to mention he was able to stay on the court for most of the game. If Brimah makes a big leap and gets anywhere close to Thabeet, then we'll be absolutely loaded next year, but he's got a long way to go.
True but Daniel Hamilton is a lot better than Stanley Robinson.

Reaction Score
I actually find the two teams to be a closer comparison than most posters and might actually give the edge talent wise to next years group. The thing is the 08-09 team had played together for a while and were able to develop chemistry, while next year's group hasn't played together long and has some important new pieces. Player Breakdown- AJ over Sterling but it's closer than people think. AJ was a much bigger stud coming out of high school but Sterling has turned himself into a damn good college player and an elite shooter and big shot maker, AJ had been through hell and back and became one of the best pg's in the nation, so he gets the nod. Dyson and Purvis is a toss up but I think Purvis will become better than Jerome. Dyson has played a little better than Purvis to this point but Purvis has more talent in my opinion and will really start to show it this year. Hamilton big over Stanley, Robinson is a litte bigger and more athletic but Hamilton is a better player in every facet of the game. Adrien big over Miller because Adrien was a proven beast at power forward at that point, it does look like Miller will have more versatility than Adrien because of his face up game and shooting but he can't compete with the animal Adrien was down low. Thabeet big over Brimah, I think Brimah will be just as good a rim protector but Thabeet didn't get knocked off his postion and could score and rebound like a 7 footer is supposed to, Brimah still needs to work on this. Bench- Adams, Phil, Cassell, Enoch, Facey, Calhoun > Kemba, Austrie, Chuck, Edwards, Haralson. More talent on next year's bench and more size.

Reaction Score
Sorry for the block post, happens every time I type a long message.

Reaction Score
I did compare player by player, but basketball obviously being a team sport, there is a HUGE advantage to guys that have played together. I don't think it's crazy to think Purvis will have a better junior year than Dyson. Hamilton is a better player than Robinson. I admitted AJP, Adrien, and Thabeet were all better, but I actually think this year's bench will be better player for player (I think Adams will be really good).

Regardless, the majority of the 08-09 team had already played together for 2 years. This year, 2 of the seniors are first year players on the team. But just from an individual talent/size/experience/structure standpoint, the teams are built very much alike. Hoping this team can gel like that one and make some noise.

Reaction Score
2008-09 was a fun year but this team will experience major flaws that 08-09 never did. Ultimately them not playing together ever will cost them a few winnable games, but late season this will unfold into a elite eight worthy team.

Reaction Score
The flaw in this exercise is that we are comparing last years versions of the current players to the peak versions (besides Kemba) of the 08-'09 guys.

There are so many guys on the 2015-16 team that have unchartered potential it's ridiculous. The fact that many of them are still unproven to a large degree transmits some level of reserve - and a lot of them, including the seniors, Gibbs and Miller, have never played on a good NCAA team - but that doesn't mean there isn't a foreseeable evolution in their games that typically comes between sophomore and junior year.

There is room for this to all go terribly wrong, but people in this thread are discussing some of the current players - like Purvis and Brimah - as if they are finished products. This discussion is obviously contingent on extrapolating their improvement and potential forward. And, while there are some red flags with next years team, it isn't that much of a stretch to envision guys like Purvis, Hamilton, and Brimah transforming into all-league players.

The '08/'09 team was loaded, and beyond the fact that it is difficult to handicap a hypothetical match-up between hypothetical teams, the '08/'09 team existed within a much more enriched climate of college basketball. I'd be extremely surprised if any of the teams this season were as good as any of the top three or four from that season. Luckily for us, we don't have to beat the '09 Huskies to win the gold next year.

Reaction Score
Good post and a fun one. But we have no idea about this years team until we see the finished product together on the court. They may struggle although I doubt or they may gel like no other and surprise the hell out of everyone, yet to be seen. There's some nice match ups according to the lineup comparisons, and they are all closer than you would think of a really good team from back in those days. Although they were always near the Top5-10 they had some inconsistencies also but were usually kept in game with Thabeets amazing defensive presence that year in particular.

Hope we revisit this in February and say wow didn't think it would be this close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom