2015-16 Huskies vs. 2008-09 Huskies | The Boneyard

2015-16 Huskies vs. 2008-09 Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sort of dawned on me last night how the 2015-16 team will be built much like the 2008-09 squad. Very similar types of players/experience level at multiple positions. That team obviously went to a Final 4 and had much more experience playing together as a unit, but you could make an argument that this team is more talented top to bottom.
PG – Gibbs vs. AJ Price
Very similar type players – not super athletic, but solid, scoring point guards with good outside shots. Both seniors, although AJP was playing in his 3rd year in a Husky uniform while this will be Gibbs first.
Advantage: AJP
SG – Purvis vs. Dyson
Also two very similar players – scoring 2 guards who are not great ball handlers – more effective driving to the basket than settling for the outside shot. Both sort of have that “bulldog” mentality and were/are both juniors.
Advantage: Purvis
SF – Hamilton vs. Robinson
Probably the biggest difference in style of play for the projected starters, but relatively comparable in overall ability. Hamilton is a much more skilled overall player, but Robinson has an athleticism/size advantage as well as more experience at this juncture, as Hamilton will be a sophomore while Stanley was a junior.
Advantage: Hamilton
PF – Miller vs. Adrien
Their games are certainly different, as Miller seems to have more range/athleticism than Adrien, but Adrien is probably tougher and stronger, and has a distinct experience level in major conference play (although both would be seniors). Both are about the same size though and overall seem to have very similar ability.
Advantage: Adrien
C – Brimah vs. Thabeet
Thabeet ended up being co-Big East player of the year in 09 and was the 2nd pick in the NBA draft, so Brimah has his work cut out for him to compete with that. However, they are very similar players at this stage of their careers – long, shot blocking rim protectors whose defense is way ahead of their offense. Both juniors.
Advantage: Thabeet
Bench
PG – Adams vs. Kemba

Another startlingly similar comparison – 2 highly regarding point guards who will play/played the spark plug off the bench/3rd ball handler type role as a freshman. I think Adams frosh year will be very comparable to Kemba’s, with a slight advantage in his outside shooting but not quite the quickness and defensive ability
Advantage: Even
G – Cassell, Jr. vs. Austrie
Both veteran guards, although Austrie was obviously a much more proven player for UConn that Cassell is as this juncture. From an ability standpoint though, very similar, and Cassell has the size advantage, but hasn’t proven to be able to hit shots at this level yet.
Advantage: Austrie
Bigs – Facey/Nolan/Enoch vs. Edwards/Okwandu
Facey and Edwards are another solid comparison – both juniors who have decent size/experience but also have their flaws. Nolan is a much better option here as a senior than sophomore Chuck was as a 2nd big off the bench, although Chuck proved his worth a couple years later.
Advantage: Facey/Nolan/Enoch
Bench guard/wing – Calhoun vs. Haralson/Beverly
Although he has his detractors, a senior Calhoun is obviously a significantly better option than a freshman Haralson or a sophomore Beverly. Haralson was sort of a poor man’s Omar the one year he played for us.
Advantage: Calhoun
Was really crazy to me when I went down the list how similar these teams were. Most of the “advantages” I gave were VERY close, and could easily change and probably will as we watch the season unfold. Here’s hoping we have similar success to the 08-09 team.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's pretty close when you look at our 1-4 spots, but Thabeet was much, much better than Brimah projects to be. Thabeet was DPOY in the country and averaged almost 11 rebounds per game on top of averaging 13+ PPG. Not to mention he was able to stay on the court for most of the game. If Brimah makes a big leap and gets anywhere close to Thabeet, then we'll be absolutely loaded next year, but he's got a long way to go.

Reaction Score
If I remember Thabeet finished at about 13/11/4 that year, if Brimah can put up 12/7/3 we will have an unreal year. The two biggest factors for us this year will be team chemistry and how much Amida improves. Otherwise, spot on analysis although I'd put Dyson and RP as equal.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Lets be honest, if 2008-2009 with a healthy Dyson played our Huskies this year, 08-09 would win by double digits.
Considering this team has never been in the same room together yet, that may be a bit premature prediction.

Reaction Score
They are def very similar but the core of that 2008-2009 team had been playing together for at least 3 years. Dyson, Price, Adrien and Thabeet. Gibbs, Miller are new and Purvis and Hamilton only played together for 1 year.

I'd give Dyson advantage over Purvis also.

Reaction Score
I was certain this was a Scrappy post... But I'll play.

PG: AJ is one of the most underrated players in our history. He was so much more than just "solid" and his stats don't indicate just how good he was. Sterling could be very good, but I've got AJ big here.

SG: Dyson is another incredibly underrated player. While both him and RP are similar, Dyson thus far has been the far superior player. I've got Dyson pretty decisively here.

SF: DHam vs. Sticks is an interesting comparison. DHam is the better player but Sticks had a lot of dominating moments. DHam pretty easily here, though.

PF: Adrien was yet another incredibly underrated player; for my $$ he was the single toughest player we have had since I've been watching UConn (since 87). A double-double every game. Miller's stats look great at Cornell; but we really don't know what he is going to be here. Advantage Adrien big here, too.

C: Hasheem at the the same point was (in my opinion) a vastly superior rebounder and shot blocker. Amida has Hasheem on the face-up jumpshot. They were both pretty mediocre post guys and had a propensity to get out-muscled. Still, I would have Hasheem decisively simply based upon his consistent defensive and rebounding dominance. Jr. year Hasheem was pretty nasty and his intimidation went beyond the 4 or so blocks he had a game. Amida has had these moments, but they have obviously been inconsistent. So advantage Hasheem.

The bench is probably advantage 15/16... Kemba and Adams hopefully will be a wash and the triumvirate of Facey, Nolan, and Enoch should be better than Gavin and Chuck.

I understand the purpose of this comparison, but in my opinion, the 09 team is vastly superior.

Reaction Score
So, a fringe top 20 team is comparable to the preseason #2 team in what was one of the best years for college basketball? I don't think the 2009 team fell out of the top 5 at any point, and made the Final Four despite losing Dyson. I believe Robinson was not available at the beginning of the season?

Purvis is not on the same level as Dyson. Dyson put up 13/4/2/2 on 41/33/82 shooting the year prior to the 2009 team. Purvis put up 12/2/1/1 on 42/36/53 shooting last season.

The 2009 team returned the whole squad that was a 4 seed in the NCAAs the year prior. The 2016 team loses the best player and two roles players from a 20-15 4 seed in the NIT.

Oh, and the 2009 was probably one of the three best teams Calhoun ever had. I'm excited for next year too. But let's not be silly here.

Reaction Score
Let's make this easy. The 2009 team waa ranked #1 in the country for a decent chunk of the season and was a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Is next year's team doing that?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Considering this team has never been in the same room together yet, that may be a bit premature prediction.
It's not. That was the best team in the country that year pre-Dyson injury (I think they were better than UNC's illegal squad). They were dominant, Thabeet and Adrien would stifle Brimah and Miller - and score on them at will. The only player that has an edge is Hamilton because he can go inside-outside effectively. Miller can, but is not dependable from long range and is a streaky shooter.
A big difference here is the 08-09 team put up monster numbers in a MUCH tougher schedule. The Big East that year had three #1 seeds, the #1 overall seed, and 7 teams in the dance. The numbers that our guys put up last year was against a lot weaker schedule.

No offense to the OP but I honestly do not understand how this is even a debate.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
A big difference here is the 08-09 team put up monster numbers in a MUCH tougher schedule.
'08 KP SOS Pyth =45 '15 = 95

Keep in mind I'm comparing last year's stats to the 07 08 season as the year before the year is apples to apples.

Reaction Score
I don't think this year's team is better than that team - it was more just a player by player comparison of the similarities of the player we have at each position. Purvis vs. Dyson was a REALLY hard one for me - I could easily have gone Dyson there. I will amend by position to "Even". But most of the posters on here are seemingly forgetting how maligned Dyson was much of his career here. Purvis really started to turn it on at the end of this past season, and I'm predicting he will continue to grow from that.

The main difference between the TEAMS is the experience and the Thabeet/Brimah comparison. My dad always hated Thabeet because he was so offensively deficient and often seemed lethargic, but I have to remind him how effective he was as a rim protector and how he was co-conference player of the year in a year we went to the Final 4. Brimah has such a contagious enthusiasm about him though which makes him easier to root for. But I agree, Thabeet is head and shoulders above Brimah at this stage.

Reaction Score
It is at least somewhat important to note that Dyson and Sticks only overlapped for a month. Austrie was really a starter on that team. I still favor 2009, because the core had played together for a while, and I think the frontcourt combo of Thabeet-Adrien is a massively high standard (two guys with double-doubles next to each other).

I lean more towards 2002 for a comparison - and hope Brimah can approach freshman Okafor and Miller can be a better passing/less stepping out of bounds Selvie. I've said for a while that DHam making Caron's sophomore leap would be nice for our hopes next year, but that's maybe unlikely now with more talent added - the gap there will be offset by the fact Gibbs gives us a scoring upgrade at the point over Taliek. Purvis and Tony match up well, as does (hopefully) Adams and BG. That team took a while to gel but put the petal down in February.

We will see though. Obviously we have the advantage of knowing how those other years turned out and have to see what happens with this group.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
If I remember Thabeet finished at about 13/11/4 that year, if Brimah can put up 12/7/3 we will have an unreal year. The two biggest factors for us this year will be team chemistry and how much Amida improves. Otherwise, spot on analysis although I'd put Dyson and RP as equal.

Based on actual performance to this point versus anticipated improvement in Rodney, I would rate Jerome Dyson on the 2009 team as being significantly better than RP. Dyson had a better handle, was a better distributor, and made fewer mistakes. I could see Rodney becoming better if he makes a big jump in consistency and decision-making.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I don't think this year's team is better than that team - it was more just a player by player comparison of the similarities of the player we have at each position. Purvis vs. Dyson was a REALLY hard one for me - I could easily have gone Dyson there. I will amend by position to "Even". But most of the posters on here are seemingly forgetting how maligned Dyson was much of his career here. Purvis really started to turn it on at the end of this past season, and I'm predicting he will continue to grow from that.

Dyson was not maligned here until his senior year.

Reaction Score
So, a fringe top 20 team is comparable to the preseason #2 team in what was one of the best years for college basketball? I don't think the 2009 team fell out of the top 5 at any point, and made the Final Four despite losing Dyson. I believe Robinson was not available at the beginning of the season?

Purvis is not on the same level as Dyson. Dyson put up 13/4/2/2 on 41/33/82 shooting the year prior to the 2009 team. Purvis put up 12/2/1/1 on 42/36/53 shooting last season.

The 2009 team returned the whole squad that was a 4 seed in the NCAAs the year prior. The 2016 team loses the best player and two roles players from a 20-15 4 seed in the NIT.

Oh, and the 2009 was probably one of the three best teams Calhoun ever had. I'm excited for next year too. But let's not be silly here.

I don't disagree with your general point, but it's funny how the 2009 team returned "the whole squad" while the 2016 team lost two role players. Curtis Kelly and Doug Wiggins played way bigger roles than Samuel and Lubin.

Reaction Score
It's not. That was the best team in the country that year pre-Dyson injury (I think they were better than UNC's illegal squad). They were dominant, Thabeet and Adrien would stifle Brimah and Miller - and score on them at will. The only player that has an edge is Hamilton because he can go inside-outside effectively. Miller can, but is not dependable from long range and is a streaky shooter.

A big difference here is the 08-09 team put up monster numbers in a MUCH tougher schedule. The Big East that year had three #1 seeds, the #1 overall seed, and 7 teams in the dance. The numbers that our guys put up last year was against a lot weaker schedule.

No offense to the OP but I honestly do not understand how this is even a debate.

No offense taking and wasn't trying to start a debate. Again, this was more a comparison of the structure of the team/similarities of players in skill/size/experience, etc. A lot of folks have said they think this team could contend for a championship, which I think is extremely lofty, but my point was the ceiling of this team is probably pretty similar to the 09 team with all the similarities. Long ways to go though, obviously.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with your general point, but it's funny how the 2009 team returned "the whole squad" while the 2016 team lost two role players. Curtis Kelly and Doug Wiggins played way bigger roles than Samuel and Lubin.
The 2009 had players better than them at every position. Next year's team lost what was its most experience PG and a guy who was basically our backup 4. The 2009 team could easily survive the losses of Kelly and Wiggins (and wasn't Wiggins dismissed around the time of the Indiana game?), while losing Samuel and Lubin (despite their lack of talent) would have been a huge hit to the team's depth before the additions of Miller and Gibbs.

I do think you overstate the loss of Kelly, he was a top recruit and all, but only averaged 2/2 when he transferred out. He didn't "get it" until K-State. Lubin is leaving after averaging 1/1. Both are relatively unimportant.

Reaction Score
I was certain this was a Scrappy post... But I'll play.

PG: AJ is one of the most underrated players in our history. He was so much more than just "solid" and his stats don't indicate just how good he was. Sterling could be very good, but I've got AJ big here.

SG: Dyson is another incredibly underrated player. While both him and RP are similar, Dyson thus far has been the far superior player. I've got Dyson pretty decisively here.

SF: DHam vs. Sticks is an interesting comparison. DHam is the better player but Sticks had a lot of dominating moments. DHam pretty easily here, though.

PF: Adrien was yet another incredibly underrated player; for my $$ he was the single toughest player we have had since I've been watching UConn (since 87). A double-double every game. Miller's stats look great at Cornell; but we really don't know what he is going to be here. Advantage Adrien big here, too.

C: Hasheem at the the same point was (in my opinion) a vastly superior rebounder and shot blocker. Amida has Hasheem on the face-up jumpshot. They were both pretty mediocre post guys and had a propensity to get out-muscled. Still, I would have Hasheem decisively simply based upon his consistent defensive and rebounding dominance. Jr. year Hasheem was pretty nasty and his intimidation went beyond the 4 or so blocks he had a game. Amida has had these moments, but they have obviously been inconsistent. So advantage Hasheem.

The bench is probably advantage 15/16... Kemba and Adams hopefully will be a wash and the triumvirate of Facey, Nolan, and Enoch should be better than Gavin and Chuck.

I understand the purpose of this comparison, but in my opinion, the 09 team is vastly superior.

I believe that Thabeet was second in the country to Dejuan Blair that year in terms of PPP on post-ups. He was not at all mediocre. The idea that he wasn't a good post player that year seems to be influenced by his first two years at UConn and how he did in the NBA. He was the best I've ever seen at UConn at establishing deep post position, and he had a very good right handed hook shot over his left shoulder.

Reaction Score
The 2009 had players better than them at every position. Next year's team lost what was its most experience PG and a guy who was basically our backup 4. The 2009 team could easily survive the losses of Kelly and Wiggins (and wasn't Wiggins dismissed around the time of the Indiana game?), while losing Samuel and Lubin (despite their lack of talent) would have been a huge hit to the team's depth before the additions of Miller and Gibbs.

But you have to consider the additions of Miller and Gibbs. And even so, Lubin would be at best the third string guy at the four next year. Without Miller, Hamilton would get a lot of time there, and I'm almost positive Enoch will be better than him, too. So maybe not even the third string guy.

Wiggins was 7th on the team in minutes in '08 and Samuel was 6th on last year's team. I don't think either is a big loss, and I think you have to consider them about equal in terms of importance.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
'09 wins due to Edward, stix, adrien, thabeet. They bullied everyone. Also price and dyson are so underrated

Reaction Score
The 2009 team was a very good team and if you judge by the NCAA Tournament only, thats the fifth most successful UConn team of all time. The expectations were a little too high going into last season with a lot of people expecting a final four caliber team. Do I think we will have a better team compared to last year? Yes I do, but keep in mind Adams is a Freshman and you just cant predict exactly what youre going to get from him. Looking at Miller's stats from last year, it seems that he can hold is own against top competition but our schedule this year is a lot tougher than what Cornell had last year.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't think that OP is comparing the teams in terms of overall talent but more so how their makeup and structure are similar. I see his point.

In terms of talent though? 08-09 is a Top 5 All time UConn team (disclaimer: I'm was too young to remember early 90s squads).

I put 08-09 above 10-11 and well above 13-14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom