2014 UConn Coaching Staff Announced | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2014 UConn Coaching Staff Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New Offensive Coordinator Cummings Digs In At UConn (Paul Doyle)
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...otball-cummings-0109-20140108,0,4864402.story

Why was this so hard to understand by PGDL?

"When we went to Central Michigan, we had a plan for what we were going to do to install the offense. When we got there, the personnel dictated that we couldn't do what we wanted to do. So we tailored that plan. I think anybody that's going to be successful is going to tailor their plan. Their vision is going to be one thing, but you've got to tailor that to the personnel that you have."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just wow...Western Illinois AD has some bad karma waiting for him.
Holy crap what a . Saw that he resigned from Western Illinois last year, didn't see anything about him being hired elsewhere... but wow, yeah, horrible guy from the sounds of it.

Reaction Score
Holy crap what a . Saw that he resigned from Western Illinois last year, didn't see anything about him being hired elsewhere... but wow, yeah, horrible guy from the sounds of it.

I learned about this a few days ago. I wrote something somewhere about it, I honestly can't recall ever seeing such a crap move by administration. It's over and done though for Coach Patterson. I hope that Coach Patterson doesn't play a round of golf at Pebble Beach until many years from now.

Reaction Score
Not technically coaching staff but...

MSU strength and conditioning coach Matt Balis leaving Bulldogs program for UConn
Read more: http://cdispatch.com/msusports/article.asp?aid=30232#ixzz2pvWBepNM

>>Balis, who had been the strength and conditioning coach under Mullen since he was hired as the head coach at MSU, has often been referred by Mullen as "the most important part of his program" and has called him ""the best strength coach in the country"<<

Another UVA connection.

Reaction Score

MSU strength and conditioning coach Matt Balis leaving Bulldogs program for UConn

>>Balis, who had been the strength and conditioning coach under Mullen since he was hired as the head coach at MSU, has often been referred by Mullen as "the most important part of his program" and has called him ""the best strength coach in the country"<<

Another UVA connection.

So Diaco pulls a strength and conditioning coach from the SEC? Say what? :cool:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Another UVA connection.
Didn't see this, started a thread. Oh well.

Reaction Score

Another UVA connection.

The records of the teams that Balis has been the strength and conditioning coach for were always very good. This appears to be another nice get for Diaco. The MSU fans seem to appreciate both the magnitude of their program's loss as well as in a state of disbelief that they lost him to...UConn. I'm getting the impression that this is just the beginning of Diaco and UConn surprising a lot of folks in the traditional college football establishment :)

Reaction Score
I heard Pasqualoni say all the right things and then do the opposite. Excuse me if I wait to see actions instead of respond to words.

I honestly don't remember PGDL ever saying they were going to tailor the offense to fit the personnel they were given. Most of the things that came out of P's mouth made me roll my eyes, IMO he never said the right thing.

Reaction Score
I honestly don't remember PGDL ever saying they were going to tailor the offense to fit the personnel they were given. Most of the things that came out of P's mouth made me roll my eyes, IMO he never said the right thing.

Didn't he say something at his first press conference like "we're gonna throw the ball...down the field"? If it wasn't those words exactly, it was something close....and most of all, it was damn inspiring and exciting too! ;)

Reaction Score
Medic the ONLY thing we heard from those 2 idiots was how many plays GDL had in his play book!

Reaction Score
Didn't he say something at his first press conference like "we're gonna throw the ball...down the field"? If it wasn't those words exactly, it was something close....and most of all, it was damn inspiring and exciting too! ;)
My take on P's hiring presser was:
A) He looked pissed at the world (it may have been a tough guy act..but it didn't come off that way at all)
B) He looked like he wanted to be any place but where he was
C) He wanted NO part of being asked any questions by the beat guys

Reaction Score
Let's not get crazy and out of touch here now with what's being said in the press by the coaches. While Pasqualoni was a mixed review hire, without doubt, there was a general consensus about pride in a "home state guy" a guy that was a Connecticut native - etc. etc. He said all the pre-requisite things. Move the ball, score points, prototypical NFL size and speed in players, blah blah.

The fact is that Pasqualoni was hired in the wake of basically the entire football program being walked up to the altar finally after 12 years, and then being left standing. Edsall left at the very peak of what he had built - when the rest of the program was looking to the immense possibilities of future with the Fiesta Bowl on January 1, 2011, Edsall left in the middle of night.

Enter Pasqualoni, and the concept of pride in Connecticut, and UCONN, and everything that Edsall clearly showed he didn't have. (doesn't matter if Pasqualoni, didn't really care, because he didn't really seem to care, it was the image that counted - propaganda)

Now - here we are in January 2014, and the new coaching staff is saying all the appropriate things, after the transition that just happened. Building a program to players strengths and abilities, etc. etc. etc......if you think about the things that are most disturbed in the program and fan base about the last 3 seasons, everything being said publicly seems to be directed at soothing it over, just as the things that were said in 2011. 2014. Maryland was our coach's dream job? Bullspit. Connecticut and UCONN football mattered. 2014. NFL protoypes and zone blocking systems? Bullspit - recruit players and put a system in that works......It's all PR.

And you know what? It's good PR, and the program needs it, so keep it coming.

The reality is that whether or not the coaching structure will be successful, is entirely dependant on their ability to put together a team, that can compete against the competition on our schedule and win a lot more than they lose.

Captain Obvious to the rescue.

For the love Paul Duckworth......

Reaction Score
It must be Poindexter and Brown day... both just dropped.

Former NFL linebacker excited to be coaching at UConn
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/former-nfl-linebacker-excited-to-be.html (Fuller)

Poindexter, Brown Plan To Light A Spark Under UConn's Defense
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...tball-0110-20140109,0,3696403.story?track=rss (Des).

>>"I don't believe this is a rebuilding deal here or anything like that," Poindexter said. "I just think the kids need to be infused with some energy, a new start. It's nothing against the last staff. We're not here to talk about what happened. We're talking about the future and what the players can get done. And clearly I think we can get some things done here or I wouldn't have picked up my family and come here.<<

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I promised myself to keep the comments of UConn's former coaches (Holtz, Edsall, and Weist) and "coaches" (Pasqualoni) to a bare minimum, but what struck me as odd about the latter is that he could never seemingly find anything positive to say about his current team, while never failing to mentioning the likes of Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, Marvin Graves, Donovan McNabb, and TeBucky Jones Sr. Yes, two of those guys have local ties, but they were successes of a far bygone era. That was probably the last straw in hoping that the game had not passed the old regime by.

Reaction Score
desmondconner3:37pm via Twitter for iPhone
Michael Painter, most recently on staff at#UMass but worked with #UConnFootballCoach Bob Diaco at #ND, to be Director of Player Personnel

Defensive Grad Asst @UMass under Molnar
Defensive Grad Asst @ ND

Also was on staff @ University of Cincinnati and Central Michigan

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2014/01/painter-named-uconns-director-of-player.html

>>Friday, January 10, 2014 - Painter named UConn's Director of Player Personnel
UConn coach Bob Diaco's support staff continues to be finalized as it was announced that Michael Painter was named Director of Player Personnel for football team as he will assist in the recruiting process. Painter worked on the Cincinnati staff with Diaco in 2009 and Notre Dame staffs in 2010 and 2011. Painter was a defensive assistant and recruiting coordinator at UMass last season.<<

UConn Press Release here http://kendavisfiles.com/2014/01/10/uconn-football-names-director-of-player-of-personnel/

Thinking that leaves DOFO as only open position for now.

Reaction Score
Looks like GA Doug Shearer is heading to NC State to be a GA there according to coachingsearch.com:

>>NC State: Former UConn graduate assistant Doug Shearer has accepted a GA position at NC State.<<

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Looks like GA Doug Shearer is heading to NC State to be a GA there according to coachingsearch.com:

>>NC State: Former UConn graduate assistant Doug Shearer has accepted a GA position at NC State.<<

Yeah I thought he was the one GA that was staying? Not so much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom