2014 Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
If that were the case, no new coach would ever get a recruit.
Asuwish is clearly speaking of a specific situation. You're turning it into a generality. Whether a new coach, in general, will get recruits will vary wildly depending on the circumstances of the recruits and the program.

In this situation, it's not unreasonable to think the new coach's first year may be a tough one in which to start establishing her image.

JS

Reaction Score
I think Geno offered EDD before her junior year.
Common wisdom is that the Gemelos experience led Geno to swear off taking early verbals. EDD was two classes behind Gemelos, but in her case if there was an early offer it wasn't in the immediate offer/acceptance context, far from it. More like, "When the time comes, there'll be a place for you."

There's reason to believe he's serious about the early verbals. Heard of a big-name recruit who offered one a while back, and he declined, saying "It's too early. Wait a while and be sure."

Reaction Score
Asuwish is clearly speaking of a specific situation. You're turning it into a generality.

Yes that was my point. I see nothing demonstrably different here than any other first-time HC.

Reaction Score
Asuwish is clearly speaking of a specific situation. You're turning it into a generality. Whether a new coach, in general, will get recruits will vary wildly depending on the circumstances of the recruits and the program.

In this situation, it's not unreasonable to think the new coach's first year may be a tough one in which to start establishing her image.
New coaches don't often get the opportunity to start near the top of the food chain. Generally, you work your way up, paying your dues at a less demanding school and then hit the big time after you've proven yourself. In this situation, Holly will be competing for the top recruits against established coaches with good reputations. This is what I think will be Holly's problem in recruiting.

The fact that so many grads went high in the draft when the team did so poorly (relatively speaking) would give me pause as a recruit. Holly will probably take the hit for that poor performance, perhaps unfairly.

In the past, the main attraction TN offered prospects was Pat. Spin it as you wish, but it appears to me that she is no longer the asset she once was. So, what is TN left with as a competitive advantage that is of value to a new recruit? A good fan base. That's about it.

Regarding Ms. Canada, I believe Duke has an overwhelming advantage in attracting her, assuming her academic credentials are sufficient. At Duke the scholarship is worth more than at TN, at least twice as much. The degree is more prestigious too. Besides, she loved her visit to Duke. But, perhaps Duke won't give her an offer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's reason to believe he's serious about the early verbals. Heard of a big-name recruit who offered one a while back, and he declined, saying "It's too early. Wait a while and be sure."
Hmm. That's a lot of B.S. ;)

Reaction Score
Geno was also at the Michael T. White tournament to see McCall and that's where Lockwood saw Canada last weekend. Duke has become an increasingly popular choice for African American girls from California. I think some of it had to do with their former assistant Trisha Stafford Odom. Although she was not one of my favorites when she was at UCLA (or at her high school job), there's little question that she has the type of personality that attracts high achieving AA players.

As for Canada, she attends Windward (same as Imani Stafford) which, although not considered the Big 4 for privates, has emerged as a strong second tier academic choice, which is impressive for such a new school. I think she should be able to meet the Duke academic requirements with little trouble. Of course, Cam's the expert there, so I'll defer to his judgment. Right now, the red flag is that several girls on the team have had off the court problems and the program itself is considered to be, if not troubled, then concerning. Canada has never been a part of the controversies and she should have her choice of schools, perhaps not Stanford or Princeton, but anyone else who offers. However, I don't see her at Tennessee.

She's 2014 and Duke already grabbed a 2013 point Kiana Holland so much could also depend on who goes before her. Then again, they had no problems signing Chelsea Gray and Chloe Wells.

Long story short: Don't count UConn out with Canada. If Geno liked what he saw (which is probable since she won the game for Cal Sparks on a bum leg), she could have a new favorite.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have noticed a couple things about Geno's recruiting philosophy in recent years.

He has said more than once that he places a really high value on getting players who "really" want to come to UConn (unless Geno utters at least one qualifying "really" what he says doesn't count).

After Chiney Ogwumike visited, Geno remarked that after she told him all the reasons she intended to go to Stanford, he was so impressed that he was ready to go there, too.

I think the Gemelos experience soured him on "really" early verbal commitments. (This may be coming into play with Saniya Chong.)

And I think he was chastened by a combination of Brittany Hunter and Samarie Walker. He said something to the effect that Samarie's mother wanted her daughter to attend UConn more than Samarie did. Sounds like an echo of why Hunter went first to Duke.

My sense of this is that he is looking more for players who want to come to UConn than for those who need a lot of persuasion.

Now I'll contradict myself, since he has also said that players tend to go to the school, er, program that recruits them the hardest.

I need a new set of South Philly tea leaves.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight, Jason76. I love seeing recruits branching out and broadening their life experience by getting away from home. LA to the east is quite a culture shock, but a good thing. Same with easterners going west.

Reaction Score
I have noticed a couple things about Geno's recruiting philosophy in recent years.

He has said more than once that he places a really high value on getting players who "really" want to come to UConn (unless Geno utters at least one qualifying "really" what he says doesn't count).

After Chiney Ogwumike visited, Geno remarked that after she told him all the reasons she intended to go to Stanford, he was so impressed that he was ready to go there, too.
From personal experience, there is a down-side to attending Stanford. The weather and the natural beauty of the campus. Man, it is really hard to study in that environment. I'd suggest going to school at Michigan, and then teaching at Stanford.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

I think the Gemelos experience soured him on "really" early verbal commitments. (This may be coming into play with Saniya Chong.)

And I think he was chastened by a combination of Brittany Hunter and Samarie Walker. He said something to the effect that Samarie's mother wanted her daughter to attend UConn more than Samarie did. Sounds like an echo of why Hunter went first to Duke.

My sense of this is that he is looking more for players who want to come to UConn than for those who need a lot of persuasion.

Now I'll contradict myself, since he has also said that players tend to go to the school, er, program that recruits them the hardest.

I see no relevance between the Gemelos experience and Saniya Chong. Offering her now is certainly not too early.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I see no relevance between the Gemelos experience and Saniya Chong. Offering her now is certainly not too early.

I concede the point. Maybe it just seems early.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Jordin Canada were to marry someone in Epiphanny Prince's family, get divorced, and then marry someone in Rick Mount's family, would she be a Royal Canadian Mountie?

Reaction Score
If that were the case, no new coach would ever get a recruit.
My point was that she has to sell herself on a personal level, where she wants to take the program, and the school itself because except for her role this year she lacks the resume to show a recruit the kind of practice and head coach she will be. She has a big advantage over most new coaches having the TN brand behind her, but how often do coaches without a track record land a top 10 let alone a top 50 kid. Players will come, but what level of player chooses Holly over say Geno, Kim, Tara, or Muffet. If she struggles the pressure will be greater because she is at TN.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I understand that the campus is gorgeous, but Durham overall, not so much.

Durham has its good spots... and its gritty spots as well. :p I enjoy the city...... I will admit its the only city in the triangle that ive spent much time in... I've probably been in Chapel Hill about 6 or 7 hours in my life.... have only been to Raleigh a handful of times..

Reaction Score
If Jordin Canada were to marry someone in Epiphanny Prince's family, get divorced, and then marry someone in Rick Mount's family, would she be a Royal Canadian Mountie?
I had never even considered that. You post was a real epiphanny in that regard..

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Durham has its good spots... and its gritty spots as well. :p I enjoy the city...... I will admit its the only city in the triangle that ive spent much time in... I've probably been in Chapel Hill about 6 or 7 hours in my life.... have only been to Raleigh a handful of times..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The loss to UNC only felt like 6-7 hours. :)

Try taking off the Duke garb when you're in Chapel Hill, and folks will be more hospitable.

Reaction Score

I think Geno has been very clear on exactly what he is expecting. He wants the "right" person and player. They need to want to be here, and need to put the team above themselves. They also need a very high level of talent. Not many that fit that criteria. We're quite lucky.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Blake sounds right... all that "if you decide, its there for you blah blah blah" is sugarcoating it.

He wanted EDD probaly just after her HS frosh year... but his "JacGem comments" got in the way.

He "waited" and it still didnt work out... so its a crapshoot with this recruiting thing.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
A bit of a 2014 tease here: I hear that there is mutual interest between UConn
and a soph in Europe....here's hoping a visit to Storrs is in the cards to help each side see if it is match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom